The squad as it stands.....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I'm not arguing with you on your points Dazza

It does seem like Owers has hit the proverbial wall with players declining to sign for the club, left, right and centre....and who can blame them?
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

It’s just all very sad!!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I don't know what you're all worried about. We've got 20 points and we've got 10 home games remaining. Win all 10 starting with Eastleigh on Saturday and finishing with Ebbsfleet on April 28th and that will give us 50 points. Add in two or three away draws and we've survived in the National League for yet another season. Got to go ...... there's two guys outside wearing white coats waiting to take me away ..................
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I ask the question again. Does anyone know if Owers and Kuhl have signed contracts and how long they
are for ? Time for them to start earning their money. We did seem to be improving and after the Aldershot
game we were 3 points from safety (same games) but with 2 points from 5 games they have let it slip
badly, they are responsible for getting the players up for every single game, but have admitted the desire
has been missing apart from the Eastleigh game . WHY ?!!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The only way to get out of this mess, on the pitch, is to sign some decent players, not youth loans, but sadly it appears that anyone decent doesn't fancy coming to Torquay, either the place or because of being bottom.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

The only way to get better players in to the Club is to pay better money.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

MF68 wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 08:55 The only way to get better players in to the Club is to pay better money.
Correct, but it ain't happening anytime soon.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

The football club/owner have no intention of disclosing contractual arrangements so we might as well move on with the obsession over whether or not Owers and Kuhl have 'signed their contracts'.........

The detail of Paul Cox' arrangements were never divulged and neither were Kevin Nicholson's. When I was told how much Chris Hargreaves was on ~ no wonder he was put on gardening leave ~ I literally spat my coffee out!

I wonder quite frankly whether any other manager at any other club has his personal details divulged to the public.....you might think you know but you don't.

You don't know what clauses are in contracts as regards periodical targets, review periods or compensation relating to that in the event of severance. Just becasue it is football we have no right to demand access to such private matters.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Every time I look another National League side makes a signing - except....
I make it we're back to a squad of 15 and two of them are keepers.
hodders12345

Post by hodders12345 »

What woeful displays since the Maidenhead game. The management have no idea of team selection and when and how team changes need to be made.
We were told that Jamie Reid was the answer to our striker failings a few weeks ago....so what has happened? Players have been and gone, some with potential but not used in their best positions and none kept to improve their ability, Gray as a striker for example. Watching from the stands there does not seem to be much encouragement from the bench but plenty of what seems to be a type of bullying. They train and pick the team but are they the right people to get us out of this mess? Are players refusing to come to Torquay because of the management team??? Please prove me wrong
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

lets get back to the subject... Wednesday 10th jan, 3 days until match day and still NO NEW PLAYERS!!!! think we need to be resigned to conference south football or even worse now. What a sad time this is to be a torquay fan. gone are the days of southend away getting promoted and the wembley days!!
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

hodders12345 wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 16:26 We were told that Jamie Reid was the answer to our striker failings a few weeks ago....so what has happened?
Therein lies part of the problem! Reid never was and never will be the answer to our striking problem and I was, and remain, concerned that Owers , or anyone else, thinks he is ???!!! That comment does not enhance my view of our management's ability to "spot" a competent, consistent player, which does not bode well for the current recruitment process.

Where is our "scout" (forgotten his name) in all this? Is he still at the club?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Personally I don' think that the manager sees Reid as the answer merely the best option or even only answer he has from the squad as it stands.....

I've always felt that the best way to recruit a natural goalscorer and one who is anything nearing being prolific in his strike rate is to look a level or two below in the football pyramid and go from there.

There are quite a few in the Southern Premier and Isthmian Premier (even in the level below that) but the previous manager told me himself he regarded looking there as both futile and a waste of his time as he felt it was too low a level to graduate from and in any case he had no available budget with which to present a 'tableable' offer.......his view on the level of football was (I feel) wrong based on a lack of knowledge; his view on the second aspect was of course valid.

When you're in a geographical location that usually requires that target to move house and family you need to be in a position to offer at least a two year contract and Geoff Harrop needs to come out now and publicly state whether or not the club intends to remain full-time next season as without this back-up the present manager is wasting his time too.

I challenge Mr Harrop to do just that!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The only challenge he's interested in is Man Versus Food.

You're right, we'll only be able to recruit players from levels below ours BUT you also know as well as I do that a lot of these type of players are already earning more from a job outside of football supplemented by their football earnings. No way will any credible player settle for the few hundred a week we've been offering.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Gloomy Gull wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 10:06Where is our "scout" (forgotten his name) in all this? Is he still at the club?
According to this, he's still with us....

https://sportcareers.co.uk/profile/robert-flanagan-62

Surprisingly, nothing about us under his 'Key Achievements'
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''