The squad as it stands.....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

merse that is exactly how I saw it when I read the news.
I always try to see the decision as I would see it if I was in the players shoes or boots!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 12:57 See it as a footballer would and not as a memeber of the Yellow Army.........

A good little club expertly managed, organised and coached with a good shout of achieving promotion to the EFL though the play-offs and right on his doorstep.

Now compare that with living out a miserable existence in an out of season seaside town miles and miles from home, playing in a team that has only won four games this season and twice as far from home as Cheltenham was.
Was his existence miserable? Stop knocking the town - believe it or not there are worst places! Borehamwood is not known for it neon lights. And as for being away from home- don't get me started - he's 23 not 16, and was not crying for mummy when he was playing for Stabæk in Norway.

I accept Boreham Wood have done well, just like Braintree or Histon did, both reached the Nat Con play offs, but as for a players club of choice? If Boreham Wood do go tits up in the next couple of seasons, do you really think Davey will hang around because his family lives nearby.

As for players leaving because the club have only won four games then we should be looking at the performance of the current management team unless you are one that thinks all the ills of Torquay now and forever more will all be down to Nicho.

As an adage least we forget - he did accept a contract offer on the Tuesday only to renege on the Wed, so he cant have been that miserable here.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

No I don't; but with a son who is a football scholar ~ at Boreham Wood as it happens ~ and having assisted several of his age group last season access to pro' clubs for trials and opportunities; I can assure you that the last thing on their mind is going to somewhere scenic to live. Just try prising them away from their home or (as they see it) the centre of the footballing universe that is the south east.

Indeed I remember one instance of my son telling me that Wolverhampton seemed like a village compared to north London!

Alex Davey comes from Welwyn Garden City; he's developed his career at Chelsea and then Cheltenham. I don't think being billeted in one of Oslo's most sought after suburbs would have been too distasteful at all when Chelsea sent him there; neither being in Torquay for a short period but when it comes down to committing to a contract no doubt he was talking to his agent about other options.

It's not knocking a town to describe living there as 'a miserable existence'; my son might well have been miserable in Wolverhampton, Chesterfield, Rotherham or Barnsley where he looked at too. Some people travel well and embrace the opportunity to get away and some don't.

I'm from South Devon myself but have had no wish to return and live there in over thirty odd years ~ it's too quiet for me; too parochial and I am wholly adapted to the city life that I live. It's the way things are!

You say 'If Boreham Wood do go tits up in the next couple of seasons, do you really think Davey will hang around because his family lives nearby?' of course not. Again to use my son as an analogy; he went to Dagenham after being released by Watford and their youth set-up went tits up soon after he joined despite assurances to the contrary. He just put his boots in a bag and moved on; it's the way players are.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 14:02 . Just try prising them away from their home or (as they see it) the centre of the footballing universe that is the south east.
And who said the world was getting smaller. But your point taken.
merse btpir wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 14:02 I'm from South Devon myself but have had no wish to return and live there .[/b]
I am sure many on this forum will be dissapointed to hear that you are not returning Merse :whistle:
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Lad called O’Sullivan signed from Colchester. Announced on the os . Midfielder 22 yrs old.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

His arrival swells the contracted players to 15. But what about Dorel? Contract extension or departure?
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Don’t know but the os states efete is staying .
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

At least the numbers are on the way up. But it’s a shame to see loans coming in and not permanent signings (perhaps they are to come later).

Still a forward, a right back and a centre half missing
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

O'Sullivan's signing takes the number of loans to 5.
With Andresson not having made as big an impact as promoted on his arrival and his loan up after Saturday it would be helpful if the team captain Gowling could make a timely reappearance.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

merse btpir wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 14:02 No I don't; but with a son who is a football scholar ~ at Boreham Wood as it happens ~ and having assisted several of his age group last season access to pro' clubs for trials and opportunities; I can assure you that the last thing on their mind is going to somewhere scenic to live. Just try prising them away from their home or (as they see it) the centre of the footballing universe that is the south east.

Indeed I remember one instance of my son telling me that Wolverhampton seemed like a village compared to north London!

Alex Davey comes from Welwyn Garden City; he's developed his career at Chelsea and then Cheltenham. I don't think being billeted in one of Oslo's most sought after suburbs would have been too distasteful at all when Chelsea sent him there; neither being in Torquay for a short period but when it comes down to committing to a contract no doubt he was talking to his agent about other options.

It's not knocking a town to describe living there as 'a miserable existence'; my son might well have been miserable in Wolverhampton, Chesterfield, Rotherham or Barnsley where he looked at too. Some people travel well and embrace the opportunity to get away and some don't.

I'm from South Devon myself but have had no wish to return and live there in over thirty odd years ~ it's too quiet for me; too parochial and I am wholly adapted to the city life that I live. It's the way things are!

You say 'If Boreham Wood do go tits up in the next couple of seasons, do you really think Davey will hang around because his family lives nearby?' of course not. Again to use my son as an analogy; he went to Dagenham after being released by Watford and their youth set-up went tits up soon after he joined despite assurances to the contrary. He just put his boots in a bag and moved on; it's the way players are.
Good job your son only 'looked' at Chesterfield and didn't get sucked into the youth scheme con which many parents got stung with. As we Yorkshire folk say, bent as a nine bob note that club.

In addition to that, the Mermaid chippy a few doors down from the ground was shut down just before Christmas and bomb squad called in for a controlled explosion. Man arrested for terror offences. Police and intelligence agencies foiling a Christmas terrorist attack. What a great place i live in! :}

If it's youth football and progress you are after then Barnsley would be one of the best around here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Yorkieandy wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 17:06 Good job your son only 'looked' at Chesterfield and didn't get sucked into the youth scheme con which many parents got stung with. As we Yorkshire folk say, bent as a nine bob note that club.

In addition to that, the Mermaid chippy a few doors down from the ground was shut down just before Christmas and bomb squad called in for a controlled explosion. Man arrested for terror offences. Police and intelligence agencies foiling a Christmas terrorist attack. What a great place i live in! :}

[highlight=yellow]If it's youth football and progress you are after then Barnsley would be one of the best around here[/highlight].
without being bias, :) it is the best.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

MellowYellow wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 14:16 And who said the world was getting smaller. But your point taken.
[highlight=yellow]I am sure many on this forum will be dissapointed to hear that you are not returning Merse [/highlight]:whistle:
:rofl: absolute gold.

I think I can here the champagne corks popping from Sunny Barnsley Merse....... :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Let’s hope Owers start these players from the off and doesn’t sit them on the bench!!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Too many changes, too quickly, with too few games left.
Reminds me of panic buying in the January sales!

To stay up we will need promotion winning performances by a group of strangers which is very unlikely.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

kevgull wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 18:22 Too many changes, too quickly, with too few games left.
Reminds me of panic buying in the January sales!

To stay up we will need promotion winning performances by a group of strangers which is very unlikely.
Agree it's like the last chicken at Sainsbury's , it might seem like good value but once you go to eat it you wish you did your shopping early doors