Next season

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Next season

Post by goody2449 »

TIme to see reality I think, were down.

Is it time to get rid of the players on loan and short-term contracts and bring in the players capable of playing/winning Conf South. Might as well spend 6 months preparing the team for next season rather than waste time, money and effort of a sinking ship. Thoughts???
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with Mr. goody.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Win Conference South?? Not a chance.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

The various ins and outs promised for the next few days represent the final roll of the dice for this season. I really can't see the club staying up - it's obvious now that Owers and Kuhl are not miracle workers. I agree with Mr Goody that the club should now be building a squad for next season, with players who actually want to play for the club. If the worst happens and we do go down, I personally think the club will still be well-supported by NL South standards and I would still go to Plainmoor if the team was winning on a regular basis. A good example to follow would be Dover who rebuilt in the Conference/NL South a few years ago - and look at them now!
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

goody2449 wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 09:15Thoughts???
My initial thought was to tell you to 'f<>k off and stop being so pessimistic', then I remembered that I'd spent 2 hours in Borehamwood (or is it Boreham Wood... even the local signmakers don't know!) watching such an inept performance* from a team* of professionals* representing Torquay United Football Club.

When Owers was appointed and the team started to turn things around I had this little pang of optimism that maybe, just maybe, I wouldn't have to go to Welling/Dartford/Whitehawk et al next season along with the diehards to witness yet more shite football being served up. But, alas, after that woeful display* against Borehamwood (Boreham Wood?) sadly my worst nightmare looks to become reality.

The table doesn't lie. We're bottom for a reason....and that reason, unfortunately, is down to Messrs Owers and Kuhl and sad collection of footballers* they are working with.

*sic
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

United62 wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 10:16 I remembered that I'd spent 2 hours in Borehamwood (or is it Boreham Wood... even the local signmakers don't know!)
It's Boreham Wood Football Club from Borehamwood.

The club are named so through their founding in 1948 as a merger between Boreham Rovers and Royal Retournez.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by United62 »

Thanks for that Merse.... thought it a bit strange when driving into the town and seeing signs for 'Borehamwood' and when arriving at the ground welcomed with 'Welcome to Boreham Wood FC'.... you live and learn.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Going back to my my previous posting about Dover being a good example to follow, that's probably not the best example in retrospect - they have a chairman/owner in Jim Parmenter who is actually interested in the fortunes of the team and is VERY hands-on. I still can't help thinking that if Clark Osborne showed a bit more personal interest, things might be a bit diffeent now. Only my muddled thoughts at this most depressing of times for our club!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

budegull1954 wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 11:00 Going back to my my previous posting about Dover being a good example to follow, that's probably not the best example in retrospect - they have a chairman/owner in Jim Parmenter who is actually interested in the fortunes of the team and is VERY hands-on. [highlight=yellow]I still can't help thinking that if Clark Osborne showed a bit more personal interest, things might be a bit diffeent now[/highlight]. Only my muddled thoughts at this most depressing of times for our club!
you've more chance of plaiting sh1t than that.
we couldn't win a raffle even if we had all the tickets.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

United62 wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 10:59 thought it a bit strange when driving into the town and seeing signs for 'Borehamwood' and when arriving at the ground welcomed with 'Welcome to Boreham Wood FC'.... you live and learn.
There's a legendary tale of the combustion of the chairman when he drove into the ground and saw that the contractors had put the club signage on the new stand as 'Borehamwood Football Club' ~ he went absolutely doollalley and had them back pronto to change it! :rofl:
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Play offs would be absolute mininum requirement next season, think the crowds would hold up if we were
in the top 5, if we were not , God help us
Think we would still have half the crowd at most away games
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

I honestly think a lot of you are not really aware of just how good the paying standards are in National League South ~ certainly if a side is poor enough to get relegated into it they are a long way from being good enough to win it the next season.

It's taken three years of failure to get to grips with this league and I see no reason to believe it would be nay different in the league below. Teams that do well in it are those of the clubs with a bit of momentum behind them; not decline......take Dartford as an example.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by United62 »

We may also like to look at the likes of Kidderminster.... Stockport... York.... all three relegated from this division and (some would say, quite rightly) expecting an immediate return.... as it is, they sit 7th, 8th and 9th respectively and unless moneybags Salford capitulate in a catastrophic way, there is no way any of the three are guaranteed a return anytime soon.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

merse btpir wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 12:58 I honestly think a lot of you are not really aware of just how good the paying standards are in National League South ~ [highlight=yellow]certainly if a side is poor enough to get relegated into it they are a long way from being good enough to win it the next season.
[/highlight]
It's taken three years of failure to get to grips with this league and I see no reason to believe it would be nay different in the league below. Teams that do well in it are those of the clubs with a bit of momentum behind them; not decline......take Dartford as an example.
Even more reason to start preparing now perhaps?
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

The thing is, is that some of the players currently in the team are performing below conference south level anyway, so even if we did start to prepare for the conference south it would be an improvement on the current trash we have.