Two strikers Imminent?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

I'll be clearer....whats a Nancy boy? Come on mate. Let's hear it.
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Shangull »

merse btpir wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 19:17 Abjectly failing to compete in their personal one-on-one battles with their opposite numbers ~ failing to compete!
I don't think that's what you mean when you use the term Nancy boys? What is a Nancy boy? I'm intrigued by your use of this term
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

If your trying to imply that merse is saying some of our team has homosexual tendencies you are very much mistaken. I have an idea on what he means & as far as I can tell is that some of our team are weak, Lilly livered softies I.e. Nancy boys now what's wrong with that ?
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Shangull »

Everything is wrong with it. The term Nancy boys is generally referring to homosexuals. The point is not that he is trying to out members of the team which he clearly isn't. What he's using is an offensive term which would imply that it's inferior for players to play like homosexuals. I don't think the guy is homophobic but it's casual homophobia which is as bad as casual racism. The fact that you have linked the term to homosexuals and in turn that it implies inferior behaviour just makes my point clearer. In my subjective opinion it is clearly offensive and homophobic.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Shangull wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 20:06 I don't think that's what you mean when you use the term Nancy boys? What is a Nancy boy? I'm intrigued by your use of this term
Nancy boy was a term used in the 30s and 40s to describe an effeminate male , who was a homosexual or was thought to be homosexual. As much as I on many occasions think Merse is free with his personal jibes and put downs on this occasion I think It is a throw back to language used in his era. That if I am right in thinking he is of more advanced years.
The same as the term poof was widely used in the last century ( it ant half hot mum tv series etc)
I think this is an education issue rather than an out and out reference to the players sexuality etc .
If of course I am wrong about merse etc then only he knows why he chooses to use such a term if he is aware of its social context ....
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Here’s hoping Owers’s next attacking signings have more of an impact than Myrie-Williams, Murphy, McQuoid and Guy the Sub.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Shangull you are coming across as a yoghurt knitting liberal supporting nutjob who has no idea about the real world, anything that slightly contravenes political correctness you are typically going to shout RAAAACISSST from the roof tops, stop trying to score popularity points & see the comment for what it was really meant to be, a personal view of some players abject, soft, after you Claude performances.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Using the terms 'poof' 'queer' 'nancy boy' in 2018 (in a few hours time) is totally unacceptable. Even worse is when people try to justify it or make excuses for it.
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Shangull »

tufcyellowarmy wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 20:29 Nancy boy was a term used in the 30s and 40s to describe an effeminate male , who was a homosexual or was thought to be homosexual. As much as I on many occasions think Merse is free with his personal jibes and put downs on this occasion I think It is a throw back to language used in his era. That if I am right in thinking he is of more advanced years.
The same as the term poof was widely used in the last century ( it ant half hot mum tv series etc)
I think this is an education issue rather than an out and out reference to the players sexuality etc .
If of course I am wrong about merse etc then only he knows why he chooses to use such a term if he is aware of its social context ....
Agree with you. It's dated language and in the spirit that we should call it out when it may be wrong then we should call it out. If he used a racially offensive term then everyone would have been calling it out. He's used an offensive term (I hope in genuine error and I would give anyone the benefit of the doubt around intent). All I do know is that he is always quick to jump on others so maybe he's getting a bit of his own medicine and he did say we should call out where we see things which are wrong. If he's a bigger man then he'd apologise for a poor turn of phrase if he's not then we'll all probably get some pathetic response just as before.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Teigngull wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 20:36 Shangull you are coming across as a yoghurt knitting liberal supporting nutjob who has no idea about the real world, anything that slightly contravenes political correctness you are typically going to shout RAAAACISSST from the roof tops, stop trying to score popularity points & see the comment for what it was really meant to be, a personal view of some players abject, soft, after you Claude performances.
I’ve got a great idea !
What if we all signed some kind of indemnity that would allow us to say exactly what we want in any way we want ,to whoever we want on this forum . It’s getting close to that anyway and god knows I’m close to unleashing the odd Cnut or two on occasion.
I don’t think merse meant anything by it but I equally doubt he gives a shit anyway if it offended or not.

Riddance to 2017 and here’s to our salvation in 2018.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Teigngull wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 20:08 If your trying to imply that merse is saying some of our team has homosexual tendencies you are very much mistaken. I have an idea on what he means & as far as I can tell is that some of our team are weak, Lilly livered softies I.e. Nancy boys now what's wrong with that ?

Unfortunately Teigngull, you walked right into it. :@

Dont give the perp oxygen to air the agenda.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Shangull »

Teigngull wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 20:36 Shangull you are coming across as a yoghurt knitting liberal supporting nutjob who has no idea about the real world, anything that slightly contravenes political correctness you are typically going to shout RAAAACISSST from the roof tops, stop trying to score popularity points & see the comment for what it was really meant to be, a personal view of some players abject, soft, after you Claude performances.
Gutted. I'm not trying to come across as a yoghurt knitting liberal supporting nutjob I am a yoghurt knitting liberal nutjob. Let's not get into the real world debate though. All I can say is this.....there are people who I see at Plainmoor who shouted racist abuse at players 20 odd years ago and they would be ashamed to even consider their actions now. The same will be true of other things that are being said now. Right back to that yoghurt, now where did I put my needles
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Well said yellow, merse comes across as an old dinosaur at times & has berated me on a few occasions in which I have taken him to task on but I've never held a grudge or got that upset so I throw toys out of the pram ! All comments are a personal view belonging to a wide range of voices some from very different eras where certain things were acceptable but no longer are today. As long as WE ALL remember that we're all fighting for the same cause we should all get along nicely . Happy new year.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Teigngull wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 20:53 Well said yellow, merse comes across as an old dinosaur at times & has berated me on a few occasions in which I have taken him to task on but I've never held a grudge or got that upset so I throw toys out of the pram ! All comments are a personal view belonging to a wide range of voices some from very different eras where certain things were acceptable but no longer are today. As long as WE ALL remember that we're all fighting for the same cause we should all get along nicely . Happy new year.
:goodpost: I will drink to that my fellow Yellow. Happy New year to you and the rest of you all too.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I think we all know what Merse meant. I myself am prone to the odd Freudian slip in today's politically correct world. Indeed I think I may be guilty even in my interpretation of Merse's meaning which I thought and believe was reference to the players characteristic of not being man enough on the field of play, but I guess that masculine viewpoint is now seen as sexist.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 31 Dec 2017, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.