Two strikers Imminent?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Two strikers Imminent?

Post by brucie »

Owers has just stated that he is expecting to sign a striker tomorrow and is expecting a favourable outcome to a second striker on Tuesday.

Also looking for an aggressive midfielder in the Transfer Window.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The outcome of this will determine our fate for the season. I believe Owers is determined to get this right even if only for his own pride.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

More drivel I'm afraid from an inexperienced middle aged manager who is completely out of his depth.
He talks a good game but consistently fails to deliver. Once again the players weren't up for the game (v Boreham Wood) today. Whose fault is that? I thought that the Gaffer and his right hand man were supposed to motivate the players to give their all before the game begins
He now recognises the need for an aggressive midfielder as noted on this Forum some weeks ago as well as strikers who can put the ball in the net.
I have read the recent posts from the few remaining optimists who bother to contribute to the Forum and I feel genuinely sorry for them and the rest of us who have supported the Club for many years but the brutal truth is that we have been let down by Osborne and Harrop who appointed another boy when we needed a man. The away support today was excellent as usual but was sadly let down by another poor performance. Sadly I can't see us getting anywhere near the 30+ points that we need from our last 19 games with the current management team who seem to be completely out of their depth.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

Is he suggesting one striker will be signed in time for Monday with the other joining on Tuesday?
haz316
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: elliot benyon

Post by haz316 »

Permanent or more loans??
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

If Cheltenham's Dan Holman (striker) is on his way he was an unused sub today against Newport.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Dan Holman - good shout! And while Holman is being mentioned, the fact that he was on the bench for the last two matches but made no attempt to warm-up, pretty sums up Gary Johnson’s plan for him. GJ said " His decline has really baffled me and it’s unfortunate how things have turned out for him, but his contribution to the National League title in 2016 will never be forgotten."

So is he on his way to Torquay?

Cheltenham fans think his time with the club is up and that he will be moving on. Its not to Boreham Wood who wanted to keep him following his expired loan.

Some Cheltenham forum snippets:

Post subject: Re: Striker back / 26 Dec 2017,
GJ brings on Hinds instead of Holman he won't be playing for us again I suspect.

Post subject: Re: Striker back / 26 Dec 2017,
I agree. I like him and we had noone better up front today. Good luck at your new club Dan.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

You can cross reference-link this conversation with the post I made on the match thread tonight about Holman.....

Also the point I made about the effectiveness of Aaron Jarvis for Boreham Wood today compared with the ineffectiveness of any front player we have used this season as regards 'defending from the front' is upheld by his manager's comments on the Boreham Wood OS tonight too.

In his after match interview, Luke Garrard alludes to his rawness but appetite for work which has always been a factor sadly lacking at Torquay ever since the last manager started bringing his 'comfort zone' attitudes and slackness into the club. I have been watching football in this league for years going back to the times of Enfield and Dagenham being so successful and the shere hard work and getting your foot in ethos in the front men is key to breaking up the opposition's composure at this level.

We have NEVER had this component to our play since Paul Buckle left ~ FACT! and now we do not even display it in the midfield behind the front men. Lee Phillips used to do the donkey work for Bucks early on, then when he went for more quality he was moved on and Chris Zebroski provided that endeavour; but right now a Lee Phillips type would work wonders. If you want to think further back think Steve Cooper and you'll get my drift.

Today; Young, Lathrope and Gosling were abject at that ~ never at the races; so to my mind it is that aggressive midfield player too that the manager mentions on the OS tonight as being pre-requisite to galvanising and providing openings for any notional fresh strikers or else they will be stranded in the team like fish out of water.

We just cannot afford any more 'Nancy Boy' displays from the likes of Young, Lathrope and Gosling as we saw today. They were utterly gutless and virtually invisible as the game wore on. This is a desperate fight to maintain life in the club and it needs the sort of characters who will provide that; not the bunch of Christmas tree fairies who played behind the strikers today!
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

This has to be a critical priority - whilst Read and Keating continue to lead the line we will continue to fall. They both have the capability to come on a nick a goal but we need someone who is consistent in putting us ahead.

Still surprised to see Gnabouyou on the bench...scored 2 in the friendly, joined the club and was ousted from the beginning...

Bizarre.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

Young and Gosling got the occasional mentions during commentary yesterday but Lathrope maybe once to underline Merse's comments about our midfield. This coming week's transfer news has to be good but even I am looking at the worst. Time is almost up sadly.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Young ~ weak and ineffectual as relates creating scoring opportunities for the striker
Gosling ~ too many touches on the ball, failing to move it on quickly and therefore ditto as above. Whilst he is fannying around, the opposition are re-grouping and getting their shape back.
Lathrope ~ completion of pass rate dreadful; I sometimes wonder if he is just colour blind and not careless
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

anyone know or heard anything about who these 2 strikers are? Owners said he was meeting one of them today?!
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

Nancy boy displays? I'd love to know what you mean by this. What's your definition?
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

Don't worry gang,if this rain continues we can all relax at home and wait for news of the new signings
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Shangull wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 18:32Nancy boy displays? I'd love to know what you mean by this. What's your definition?
Abjectly failing to compete in their personal one-on-one battles with their opposite numbers ~ failing to compete!