Two strikers Imminent?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 11:24 and (yes) that penalty incident the other day looks even more contrived...Even worse was Davey's total dis-interest in tracking his player (Balanta) at the set piece for the first goal.
Paul McCartney is dead, Elvis is alive, Jesus married Mary and Alex Davey gave 100% against Boreham Wood.

For Boreham Wood to sign him after his totally unprofessional and inept display against them is in conspiracy theory terms both intriguing and bizarre.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Would have thought Ryan Brunt on loan from Exeter would have been a good move. Not sure if he's still injured but if not then he'd be a handful at NL level. Saw him play for York a few times and didn't really get the ball much to be effective but a bit like Andy Carroll. Use him effectively and he'll get goals and cause a nuisance. Not sure any of York, Plymouth OR Exeter have done this. I know Exeter haven't used him much when fit so could have been a decent shout.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Yorkieandy wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 16:59 Would have thought Ryan Brunt on loan from Exeter would have been a good move. Not sure if he's still injured but if not then he'd be a handful at NL level. Saw him play for York a few times and didn't really get the ball much to be effective but a bit like Andy Carroll. Use him effectively and he'll get goals and cause a nuisance. Not sure any of York, Plymouth OR Exeter have done this. I know Exeter haven't used him much when fit so could have been a decent shout.
Only played 2 games this season, and none since August. I’d be interested to know if that’s due to fitness or just not displacing those in front of him.

Agree he would be a good shout, but the lack of game time sets alarm bells ringing
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Yeah Jeff. He hasn't been playing at all really and i know he was injured for a bit but he's got a bit about him so long as he's used correctly. Physical too, holds the ball up well and brings others into play. Won't score many unless you ply him with crosses though but makes for others a lot. I think he's just been out of favour at Exeter. Tisdale does make continually odd team selections but he has been under pressure to play Stockley regardless allegedly due to the large transfer fee paid for him and McAlinden alongside gives them that mobility and pace. Rueben as back up now. Brunt cannot play alongside Stockley or Reid. Too static.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

He certainly sounds like the ‘type’ we need. Big and bringing others into play is what we need, I’d say.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Well it wont be Reuben Reid, just signed for Forest Green for 2.5 years
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Forest Green striker, Omar Bugiel was available, until yesterday, he signed for Bromley until end of the season. There's plenty out there!!!!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Certainly are. Woking just signed a striker on loan from Hull City.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

goody2449 wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 16:05 Well it wont be Reuben Reid, just signed for Forest Green for 2.5 years
Surprised about this. Especially with Watkins, Grant and Wheeler going during the summer. Also surprised it's Forest Green.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Perhaps the problem with us making significant signings is that the financial controller at TQ1, whoever that might be, is getting cold feet and that is why we are getting the scraps and other Clubs are getting the better players ?
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Jack wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 17:22 Perhaps the problem with us making significant signings is that the financial controller at TQ1, whoever that might be, is getting cold feet and that is why we are getting the scraps and other Clubs are getting the better players ?
That must be part of the problem Jack i'm certain. However i think the club have been in decline and turmoil for some time now and been struggling at the foot of the table regularly so the proposition of a half decent player coming to Torquay, even on not bad money if the club were paying it isn't an inviting one for players anymore.

The club are gradually losing that status it holds as an ex league club amongst the footballing world and when you have spent a few years struggling at the foot of the NL you tend to get forgotten about somewhat. That is how many footballers would also view the club i'm sure.

The club really need to bring in 3 or 4 league 2 quality players and hope they have an immediate impact or the club are down. Sadly i don't think GI are willing to fund this transfer activity and in any case, for reasons i've set out above, how attractive a proposition is playing for Torquay on a short term deal when the club are 11 points adrift at the foot of the table?

The only players the club are likely to get their hands on for mediocre money aren't the calibre of what is required to overturn this deficit. Ok so they might get lucky with one or maybe two out of 5 or 6 but the club need every player who comes in to hit the ground running. Difficult even with signing 5 or 6 league standard players. Impossible with signing bits and bobs from here, there and everywhere.

The key thing is that anyone of the calibre needed who comes to Torquay now will do so only because they will be being paid relatively stupid amounts. Even if GI sanctioned this i'd question why said players would be coming down to the club with it in it's current state. It would be for money purely and i feel they wouldn't give 100% because they have the money in the bank regardless and can just disappear once the season is up.

There are no solutions.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I think its probably fair to say that O'Sulllivan and Fletcher were not Owers first choice targets. I reckon that the two strikers Owers talked about have turned him down. It seems that better quality players have signed for nearly every other team in the league and we look decidedly weaker than we did a fortnight ago.

I am not too fussed about Davey going - he is a disgrace. Rather have Efete by a mile. Unfortunately we don't have a right back. Is sicknote Gowling still in Grimsby? - another **** worse than useless signing he was.

Owers said that he needs to make us competitive in the next sevens days. To do that he is going to need a right back, centre half and two more strikers who have some quality. I think we can safely assume that this isn't going to happen. As things stand we could be all but relegated by the beginning of February.

I doubt if Fletcher will even start tomorrow. An 18 year old who has been playing in the Peninsula Premier - it is a massive step up!

To give you an idea of what he has been playing against Witheridge who are bottom of that league have recruited numerous players from the North Devon League and are paying them between £30 - £60 per game. The problem is that they are not even the best players that the NDL have to offer - in fact they are away to Argyle on Tuesday night. They will most likely lose 30-0.

After the past two seasons somehow this one has managed to surpass those in terms of being a Torquay supporter. You would hardly think it would be possible to trump the preceding two seasons in terms of hopelessness but it has done just that.

From the first game when we failed to see off 9 men Tranmere (which was ludicrously hailed a triumph by some) it has gone from bad to worse.

There is another four months of this to put up with but I cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel at all. It is utterly soul destroying.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

brucie wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 19:26 I think its probably fair to say that O'Sulllivan and Fletcher were not Owers first choice targets. I reckon that the two strikers Owers talked about have turned him down. It seems that better quality players have signed for nearly every other team in the league and we look decidedly weaker than we did a fortnight ago.

I am not too fussed about Davey going - he is a disgrace. Rather have Efete by a mile. Unfortunately we don't have a right back. Is sicknote Gowling still in Grimsby? - another **** worse than useless signing he was.

Owers said that he needs to make us competitive in the next sevens days. To do that he is going to need a right back, centre half and two more strikers who have some quality. I think we can safely assume that this isn't going to happen. As things stand we could be all but relegated by the beginning of February.

I doubt if Fletcher will even start tomorrow. An 18 year old who has been playing in the Peninsula Premier - it is a massive step up!

To give you an idea of what he has been playing against Witheridge who are bottom of that league have recruited numerous players from the North Devon League and are paying them between £30 - £60 per game. The problem is that they are not even the best players that the NDL have to offer - in fact they are away to Argyle on Tuesday night. They will most likely lose 30-0.

After the past two seasons somehow this one has managed to surpass those in terms of being a Torquay supporter. You would hardly think it would be possible to trump the preceding two seasons in terms of hopelessness but it has done just that.

From the first game when we failed to see off 9 men Tranmere (which was ludicrously hailed a triumph by some) it has gone from bad to worse.

There is another four months of this to put up with but I cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel at all. It is utterly soul destroying.
:goodpost: you're spot on it is so soul destroying. I no longer get frustrated with results I just expect the worst, maybe your calmness of late brucie reflects mind and others . However for me Wrexham, Macclesfield, Chester and Solihull will be the last time I see us play for many years up north. So I'm just going to enjoy the remaining northern matches
Lucy
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Brucie’s post above is spot on. I have now given up any lingering hope of us staying up. Desperate times indeed. There is an air of malaise about the club that worsens by the week. I feel sorry for Owers, I suspect his hands are firmly tied by the malevolent folk in charge of our club, as indeed were Nico’s. I have seen some decent performances under Owers, and his teams have certainly looked fitter and better organised than Nico’s, but we have lacked all season the firepower needed to score regularly. I doubt that any manager could turn this around now. It is heartbreaking.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

It's a slow-motion car crash and it has been for five years now. Even David Thomas on the podcast has at last woken up to the reality and referred to 'five years of failure'. Utterly depressing.