Scoring goals

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lugmeister
Verified by Admin
Verified by Admin
Favourite player: young

Scoring goals

Post by lugmeister »

The strikers are always the obvious players to berate when a team is goal less but its the mentality of the team you must change . In training emphasis must be hammered into your width players and fullbacks that they must cross the ball at every opportunity inside 25yds which enables the strikers to be on the move in the box and the width on the opposite side to be coming in back post.Statsare that 20 crosses is a goal over the season. Also 46"%of goals come from set pieces so hours of work should be done for and against Another stat is over the season 9 shots is a goal again emphasis too your players that must shoot 25 yds from goal Training should have huge emphasis and punishment for not crossing and shooting inside the distance allocated.When they score from a cross or shot or set piece that has been drilled into them on the training ground confidence will start returning at argyle we worked morning and afternoon on the offensive side of our play scoring 102 goals one season. Our two centrebacks were our top scorers but 6 0ther players got double figures. Its the work on the training field with the whole team on scoring goals that will change your season not blaming only the forwards .
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Thanks for posting that Mr Sturrock, hope Mr Owers reads it
Couldnt agree more, I always had/ have a lot of time for Kevin Hodges, when he was manager here we scored
goals from all over the pitch, the two wing backs Gibbs and Gurney got 10 each that season
Yes it is unfair to put all the blame on our two young strikers who are still learning the game
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Why are we not using Paul Sturrock's experience? He's commenting on the forum, so must be keen to help. Are the management team that selfish and arrogant they believe they don't need any help? I think we can all see they do!!!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

It looks to me that the management's first priority has been to stabalise the defending, instil a better shape into the formation and encourage players to pass the ball rather than hoof it forward into channels and indeed just anywhere as long as it was towards the opposition's goal.........that done; it does now need focus on 'pulling the trigger' and (as the opening post says) being far more efficient with set pieces instead of the tired old 'Luke Young set piece' that is so easily identified by all opposition scouting.

That's the problem with Young ~ he's so predictable..........always plays that set piece into the goalmouth, always; always, always!

As for crossing at every opportunity; well I always try to obtain a good elevated watching position as near halfway as possible and the problem as I see it is that the crossing is nearly always too near to the opposition goalkeeper and hardly ever utilises the spaces at the back of the box (the 'D') and no-one moving into those areas looking for the chance to shoot. Hence the appalling lack of goals from midfield in both this team and those of Kevin Nicholson.

Arsene Wenger always says too much impatience in getting the ball into the box is inefficient. Driving forward, passing the ball crisply between the opposition's lines and movement off the ball all need to be improved. The ball needs to be moved faster and more accurately; too many touches on the ball slow/halt momentum and give the opposition tie to get back and re-group.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

If it was the managements first priority to stabilise the defence and instil a better shape etc etc. That has not worked because we are still conceding and losing games.
If Luke Young is so predictable, and I agree with you on that its down to the coaches to sort this out on the training ground.
Personally I think that Owers is getting it wrong and he's getting away without much criticism.
Even if we do bring in 2-3 attacking options I fear its too little to late.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I totally agree merse. You might think I am mad to compare our set plays to Premier League set plays but I watch MOTD all the time and so often you see set plays that we never attempt. Why not?
To beat the type of teams we play in the National League you need a bit of imagination. I never see it at Plainmoor.
I am thinking of going to Seale Hayne and watching training.
Gary Owers needs to think about so much but so much of what is needed is not rocket science so why do we still persist with set plays which produce so few goals?
I play a lot of golf Handicap 12 and so often victory is about strategy and thinking how to beat an opponent. Same with Football .
We need to be smarter in every way.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

There are some very good management and coaching teams in this league ~ Gary Waddock and his staff at Aldershot; Ian Baird ~ the Head Coach at Sutton ~ is very good, and Luke Garrard's coaching set up at Boreham Wood is well known to me. Then there are Neil Smith and Mark Hammond at Bromley; more intuitive and highly achieving coaches within the limitations of the budgets they have to work with.

From the old school doing extremely well are Alan Devonshire at Maidenhead and Chris Kinnear at Dover ~ and I've only touched on those in the south east of whom I'm a little familiar with their set-ups.....and it won't get any less demanding in National South because that too is a very professional and high thinking league as regards preparing on the training ground towards the opposition is concerned and we cannot afford to get distracted by the spectacular decline in playing facilities and spectator/media accommodation in comparison to the National League.........look at the clubs emerging from there and how well they are doing: Bromley, Boreham Wood, Sutton, Maidenhead, Maidstone, Eastleigh; and there are others

Every week presents a chess game of high stakes and the pressures on the management are huge. From what Luke (Garrard) told me, the importance and amount of work he puts into preparation and painting a picture of the opposition in his team's mind is far more detailed than the layman would ever imagine for football at this level. It is so professional. That's why I was so angry about the laissez-faire attitude that went before as regard managerial appointment and staff structure. We were simply living in another age down there!

There's one guy I spoke extensively to last season who works as an assistant manager in the National League who has First Class Honours in Physical Education and Sport Science and holds numerous qualifications including Qualified Teacher Status, FA Uefa A license and FA Talent ID certificate....how much of that was embraced within the previous management structure at Plainmoor and the club he works at are part-time!

Owers and Kuhl might not be having a spectacular start; but it is a long and arduous road dragging this club kicking and screaming into the modern age and another slip down might well be unavoidable along the way.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Personally I think that Owers and Kuhl have been extremely poor, of course they might not be helped by Harrop and Hedges. But we are being told that the owners are putting a considerable amount of money into the squad, far more than the previous manager had.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

one indisputable improvement in the Owers/Kuhl era is the fitness levels across the team. It was so painful to watch TUFC fading EVERY game at about 60 minutes. They do at least last 90 minutes now (although I would have preferred the ref to stop it at 60 at Boring Wood,as I'd seen more than enough rubbish by then).None of our team seem to know exactly what to do if they get anywhere near the opposition goalmouth, very few attempts are on target; therefore employing fit-for-purpose strikers might make a difference if they get some service. I saw at least two very decent crosses into the box at Boring, unfortunately nobody had anticipated them.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

SBP wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 10:58 If it was the managements first priority to stabilise the defence and instil a better shape etc etc. That has not worked because we are still conceding and losing games.
If Luke Young is so predictable, and I agree with you on that its down to the coaches to sort this out on the training ground.
Personally I think that Owers is getting it wrong and he's getting away without much criticism.
Even if we do bring in 2-3 attacking options I fear its too little to late.
I think you'll find if you look at the stats (I cant be arsed too) we have actually conceded fewer goals than we did at the start of the season.
the issue - which has been painfully pointed out by several members - is that we cant :goal:
if GO does manage to bring in a few "decent" strikers, then judge him then.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I judge GO from the moment he took over. I m sure your correct with the stats that we have conceded fewer goals but whether you lose 1 nil or 3-4 nil its still 0 points.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Not so sure it is the set pieces which are at fault, the players up for them have to be more alive and aggressive, as
Taxilady said the key word is anticipate, gamble, attack the ball , get there first, our lot are on their heels
waiting for the ball to come to them, there is not enough intent to bury the ball in the net
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

SBP wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 11:46....we are being told that the owners are putting a considerable amount of money into the squad, far more than the previous manager had.
There's more to it than though isn't there.......

There's the day to day running of the whole business within the constraints that the extremely limited revenue streams that they inherited. At the height of the profligacy courtesy of Thea Bristow's gullibility; the Bill Phillips run operation was costing around £2K a DAY in losses; can you imagine that, two thousand pounds a day!

Today's postponement underlines another problem ~ no significant income now since the Gateshead game (forget the FA Trophy fiasco) and that was sacrificed for a much smaller midweek take than would have been taken on the Saturday. Midweek football just does not add up in this day and age and yet they agreed to Gateshead's ridiculous request. Saturday December the 2nd until Saturday January 20th without opening the business on a Saturday. That's six weeks!

.......if you can't look after yourself, don't expect others to look after you instead!

There's the infrastructure, facility and staffing levels to address as well as the day to day costs of merely switching the lights on and unlocking the doors on a normally quiet working day. Money doesn't grow on trees and whatever we suspect of the owners' motives; it has to be found and pumped in on a weekly basis. The club is losing shit loads!

What you want and feel you need to do in football club management and what you actually can do are often world's apart and within what you do have you need to be extremely focussed and skilled in husbandry to even survive.

This is not peculiar to Torquay United within any professional football below the Premier League, so to glibly talk about playing/transfer budget whilst ignoring the rest is just stupidity at it's worst.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

desperado wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 12:44 Not so sure it is the set pieces which are at fault, the players up for them have to be more alive and aggressive, as
Taxilady said the key word is anticipate, gamble, attack the ball , get there first
Look at Boreham Wood's first goal on Saturday. Look how they employed the 'bus stop queue' tactic to attact a corner coming in and look how Davey was too dozy to switch on and pick up his man when they scattered; the eventual goalscorer.......

A tactic that the home side have been using all season and yet the team were caught napping on the very first occasion they used it..absolutely **** hopeless and indicative of why we are where we are!

Did we try anythig inovative like that; have we ever tried anything as innovative under the previous management either? I can't recall it if we have. So much more work needs to be put in to rescue this seemingly hopeless situation with these seemingly hopelessly unreliable players.

You can coach and teach them all you like; but the singular failure to carry out just one instruction cost big-time and from the eleventh minute onward heads went down, shoulders slumped, voices dried up and the cause was lost.........just as it was up there last season from exactly the same minute!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

From memory the last time we had a corner routine which worked was when Kevin Hill was in the side. Since then our set pieces, corners and free kicks have been woeful. Too reliant on Luke Young for all of them.