Eastleigh racism

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Admiral wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 23:20 I find it strange how no one heard these alleged monkey noises bar John Walsh on FB/Twitter and a bunch of new forum users..

Maybe the forum user is John Walsh, the other maybe his friend. Radar ears I'm guessing, it amazes me, as said I was there, I didn't hear it, sat near by, there has been post after post, after post, on the forums and social media from people saying they were there, from people sat all over the away area, all in turn saying they didn't hear any monkey chanting, just this one person, so TUFC fans have a racist mindset we're told, ridiculous.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

It's not about ignorance, and we're all intelligent enough to know, if we didn't hear it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's about preventing things from being blown out of proportion, there were 254 away fans, 1 was ejected for racism, that means 253 were not, the monkey chant accusation is dubious at best, if it happened, it must have been very, very quiet, as only one man and his dog out of 253 people actually managed to hear it, so all in all, do TUFC have a racist fanbase, clearly not.

We all now know, the comment made was you 'Polish whatever' is that racist, I respect all opinions, and the professional expertise of Rob RJC 70. Yes I can see how it could be, and how that can be deeply offensive to some, but my own opinion is, and to me, it all depends in what context such a comment was meant in.

Where I work, we have a fantastic mix of, locals, Londoners, those from the North and Midlands, as well as Polish, Eastern Europeans, even different skin colours, Hardly a day goes by where you don't hear, you 'London this' you 'Southern/Northern that' and you' Polish this/English that' And the normal nicknames, you know them every workplace where there's Eastern Europeans you hear them, such as ' Borat' It's all good natured friendly banter, helps us all through the week.

However if the 'PC' liberal police came in a did a week fly on the wall, guess most of us would be accused of being racist and be up on charges, and this is what I mean about context.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Excellent post.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Yes, excellent post. It's just a shame that some posters, presumably those that weren't there were so quick to condemn and label. I was sat with three of my Grandsons, we were closer to the corner flag than 95% of our fellow Gulls, if we didn't hear anything then the Eastleigh player supposedly being abused certainly didn't.

At least now we've all woken up to the harsh reality that even lowly clubs like us are soon in the spotlight if we let standards drop.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

I've visited Plainmoor for over 30 years. I remember players being commonly racially abused...were people being intentionally racist or purely ignorant at the time? Fast forward 30 years and homophobic comments are as equally rife. I've just read someone use the term Nancy boy on this same forum. I'd love to know how they define this term and how they've not just slipped into some casual homophobia which is as bad as the racist comments that everyone would agree is wholly unacceptable. To the person who used the term Nancy boy consider what you've just said and what you consider the meaning to be. Worst abuse in recent years at Plainmoor...the treatment of Scott Rendell on a return following the death of his child. So what do we learn? There are some ignorant morons everywhere
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I've also just read someone use the term 'spastic' on this forum in a derogatory manner. Dear oh dear.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

forevertufc wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 16:51 It's not about ignorance, and we're all intelligent enough to know, if we didn't hear it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's about preventing things from being blown out of proportion, there were 254 away fans, 1 was ejected for racism, that means 253 were not, the monkey chant accusation is dubious at best, if it happened, it must have been very, very quiet, as only one man and his dog out of 253 people actually managed to hear it, so all in all, do TUFC have a racist fanbase, clearly not.

We all now know, the comment made was you 'Polish whatever' is that racist, I respect all opinions, and the professional expertise of Rob RJC 70. Yes I can see how it could be, and how that can be deeply offensive to some, but my own opinion is, and to me, it all depends in what context such a comment was meant in.

Where I work, we have a fantastic mix of, locals, Londoners, those from the North and Midlands, as well as Polish, Eastern Europeans, even different skin colours, Hardly a day goes by where you don't hear, you 'London this' you 'Southern/Northern that' and you' Polish this/English that' And the normal nicknames, you know them every workplace where there's Eastern Europeans you hear them, such as ' Borat' It's all good natured friendly banter, helps us all through the week.

However if the 'PC' liberal police came in a did a week fly on the wall, guess most of us would be accused of being racist and be up on charges, and this is what I mean about context.
Dave. It doesn't matter if everyone goes round saying this and that and everyone is having a laugh.It's technically illegal which is the point i've been trying to make. If there are are 50 blokes in a room all of differing nationalities taking the wee wee out of each other for being from a certain country then that's fine if they are all happy about it. It's still racist though. If one of them were to break ranks and find the remarks offensive then it's racially aggravated and illegal. Just because individuals personally don't find these remarks racist doesn't mean that legally they aren't.

So therefore shouting "you Polish ****" at someone at a footy match may not offend many but it's racist in any case.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I see all this nonsense is still going on. There is only one thing that I care about with regard to the Gulls on New Years Eve 2017, and that is beating Eastleigh tomorrow. Frankly I don’t give a flying f*ck about anything else.
Aaaa

Post by Aaaa »

I was the steward that one of your own fans reported racial comments to. Obviously we have to act on these complaints and did so accordingly, unfortunately several of his mates thought they could stop him being ejected so they were also ejected. At no point were we made aware of monkey noises, but can I add apart from the 15 or 20 school kids who had their first beers your fans were polite, friendly and no problem at all
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yorkieandy wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 19:51
Dave. It doesn't matter if everyone goes round saying this and that and everyone is having a laugh.It's technically illegal which is the point i've been trying to make. If there are are 50 blokes in a room all of differing nationalities taking the wee wee out of each other for being from a certain country then that's fine if they are all happy about it. It's still racist though. If one of them were to break ranks and find the remarks offensive then it's racially aggravated and illegal. Just because individuals personally don't find these remarks racist doesn't mean that legally they aren't.

So therefore shouting "you Polish ****" at someone at a footy match may not offend many but it's racist in any case.
Sorry for coming back on this late, but feel I should answer Andy. I don't disagree with the sentiment, to me this is the problem, we don't need over bearing legislation, we used to be country well known for having the ability not just to poke fun out of each other, but laugh at ourselves, we are fast becoming a society that is just offended by litlerally everything, and over bearing legislation is fast costing this country it's once renound sense of humour.

Off tangent I know, but it's proved on facebook, when I see those purporting to be on the left of politics, slamming the likes and calling for the so called right wing Daily Mail to be banned, then as soon as the Mail carry a front page story about fat cat rail bosses getting a massive pay rise, at the same time as the common man facing huge fair rises, the same people share this story, so we're becoming hypocritical as well.

And it's point proved, he may have a strong, forth right, sometimes direct posting style, when I know someone like Merse who is, as liberal and tolerant as anyone you'll find getting hauled over the coals for using the term 'Nancy boy' there's nowhere left to go.

That's why I stressed context, I'm not condoning what was said at this match, but there's difference between something that's said, and meant to cause distress, and bit of harmless mickey taking.