Expectations 2018

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

I see on the devonlive website Martyn Rogers has denied a club of a higher standing has made an approach for Landricombe, although he wouldn't stand in his way if Tivvy were compensated appropriately, we shall see eh ?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If GG cannot make the starting eleven then I am damn sure Landricombe wouldn't. People touting Landricombe as the answer are in a dreamworld. He might be alright as ninth choice striker but that's it.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

brucie wrote: 28 Dec 2017, 14:07 If GG cannot make the starting eleven then I am damn sure Landricombe wouldn't. People touting Landricombe as the answer are in a dreamworld. He might be alright as ninth choice striker but that's it.
Ok, that may be a fair comment, I've never seen him play so I assume you have Brucie ? But don't you feel this is where we're at with the quality & experience being signed by CO & RSI ? Invest as little as possible to keep it turning over , mind you didn't a certain Jamie Vardy start off at a village club & he was no spring chicken when Fleetwood took a punt on him was he .
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

This season has been a complete balls up, unless we can find some attacking options that's going to score 30+ goals we re stuffed. We need more than just one player.
I don't give a s"£$ about being fit and organised anymore, we need to outscore the opposition.
My expectations are to push the boat out and get 2-3 attacking options quickly and if were going down I want to go down fighting, not putting 11 players behind the ball, its too late for all that now.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Jamie Vardy didn't 'start off at a village club'; he was developed in the Sheffield Wednesday Academy until he was released at the age of sixteen with no scholar pro' place being offered and he then went to local side Stocksbridge Park Steels before trying the pro' game again ~ first at Crewe Alexandra and then Rotherham United without securing anything worthwhile. It was Halifax Town who took a punt on him during which time Paul Buckle was trying very hard to get him for Torquay United.....he signed for Fleetwood in the event and never looked back from there.

Levi Landricombe went to Tiverton Town on a dual registration (meaning that he was 'non-conract') from Plymouth Parkway in November 2015 and scored on his debut in a 5-1 win over Didcot Town and has gone on to score a phenomenal 66 goals in only 74 appearances in all competitions after signing a contract and making the switch permanent at the start of last season.

He is said to be one of the most feared strikers in the Westcountry and the Southern League. Worth a punt? It wouldn't surprise me if Owers hasn't already made enquiries about him.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

I remember Exeter City taking a punt on Tony Kellow and Alan Beer from lower league westcountry football and they hit the jackpot with them.....it can be done !!
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

I expect us to be top of National League South by Christmas. . .
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Last season, our position seemed hopeless but for some reason, I always felt we would survive and in th end we did so comfortably. This season, my feelings are that we are not going to survive for several reasons -

1. Successful sides are settled sides. We do not have a settled side. Far from it - over 30 players have been used.

2. We currently have five players on loan (that's not including the three that have already left the club) and three non-contract players. That is not the way to run a football club. The loan system is okay up to a point. I would say a maximum of three loanees would be about right and the ideal would be season-long loans so that the players feel part of the club - e.g. Nathan Smith. I would think Barnum-Bobb and Myrie-Williams will be departing, to be replaced by more loanees. Will players brought in halfway through the season be any better? I doubt it. As the season ends at the end of April, any loanees will be short-term - just over three months at the most.

3. I was prepared to support Gary Owers and Kuhl, but they are failing badly. My view is that their football is too negative. Paul Sturrock on another thread is spot on - it's easy to blame the strikers, but if they are not getting the service from the rest of th team, it is not their fault. Today, and away at Eastleigh, we had a back five which included FOUR central defenders. Damon Lathrope who, as we all know, is best employed as a defensive midfielder. two midfielders and two strikers, and according to the commentator, Keating was used as a sole striker upfront. It would be interesting to know Bath's 'goals scored' record whilst Owers was there.

Two examples - in the Cup Game against Maidstone which we had to win of course, we were 2 - 0 down when Barnum-Bobb was sent off. Owers took off a striker and replaced him with Callum Evans who played at right back. A ridiculous decision. Today, losing 1 - 0, Owers replaces a forward with a forward. Why not take off a defender instead and play with an extra forward? We're losing for goodness sake! Then Gnabayou was brought on 10 minutes from the end when the game was already virtually lost. Just what is the point of signing him if he isn't given game time? I like Pep Gardiola's attitude - 'I don't mind how many goals we concede, as long as we score one more goal than those conceded'.

I really, really hope I'm proved wrong, but as we go into 2018, I fear the worst.