Teams around us

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

merse btpir wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 18:11 You say 'this God-forsaken league'; it's the league we are in through our own mis-management.

It's a league we will be very pleased to be in next season too and have set the bar at mere survival in for the two seasons before this. Perhaps references to it as such are an underlying reason why we never seem to come to terms with it these days......think about it.
It really doesn't matter what I think about it - its what potential transferees/loanees think about it - and I can't see too many talented strikers wanting to play for a club struggling at the bottom of this league.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

You're right on that count and that is where the window DOES affect the club because certain targets will be holding on and seeing if they can get a better option than to sign for a club stuck facing relegation to National South......can't say I blame them really!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

This league is the best we can be in apart from league football. I've always followed this league even when it was the alliance. Disrepect this league and it will bite you on the arse
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Well at least if it does. its better than have you bite us in the arse lol :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Torquay rock bottom again now - Solihull Moors' revival continues, winning 3-1 against Maidenhead. NL South is getting closer and closer each day.
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

With 13th to 20th separated by only 5 points (albeit some teams have games in hand), if we catch 5th bottom up there are a lot of teams we could drag in. Only problem being of course is that we need to win 4 games more than 5th bottom to catch them up....
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

budegull1954 wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 17:08 Torquay rock bottom again now - Solihull Moors' revival continues, winning 3-1 against Maidenhead. NL South is getting closer and closer each day.
Sad to see us bottom....the table don`t lie......but still hopeful we can get out of this :scarf:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I don’t see us getting out of it this time. When the gap was this big two years ago we had a much better team plus the sides who went into freefall who we could catch were the likes of Welling, Kidderminster, Altrincham, Guiseley and Boreham Wood. There’s no one like that this time around.

We can probably assume we won’t catch AFC Fylde, who are now on 35pts (+15).

Below them are:
Woking +14
Hartlepool +13
Gateshead +12
Eastleigh +11
Leyton Orient +11
Barrow +10

I would not like to say which of those would be most vulnerable to us catching them. Hartlepool probably have the worst current form but that will no doubt pick up.

I think Woking, perhaps are the most vulnerable to a dip in form but they are probably too far in front to for us to catch, and we are still one of the worst teams on current form and one of only two in the division who have no win in their last 5 games.

I don’t see Leyton Orient being caught by us, so of the remaining teams, perhaps Gateshead and Barrow are vulnerable but it would take some freakish changes in form for us to get anywhere near them with less than 20 games to go and that’s assuming the other teams in the bottom four do not do any better than us.

Al in all, it’s very unlikely. We are at a disadvantage compared to the situation 2 years ago, where Nicholson managed to build a decent side, who were pulling in the same direction and the crowd and club became united for a while.

That togetherness looks so remote now. The manager has yet to sign a decent player and needs to strike gold with someone if we are to have any chance of turning this around. The whole ‘We’re not rubbish anymore’ seems a bit daft and the unity of the club is difficult to achieve when the ownership are so remote and clearly do not give a toss.

It was bad enough when we used to be struggling at the bottom of League 2; it’s quite another to look at the National League table and see us bottom of that. Just so embarrassing. Will it be any different in the Conference South?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Agree, highly unlikely we are going to do it this time, I would say of those teams that the two we have to play
at home are the ones we have any slight chance of catching, Eastleigh and Barrow and they have to be beaten
They both got last minute points today/Boxing Day which could be crucial come the end. Someone or a couple
of teams need to go into freefall but cant see who if any thats going to be right now
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Don't assume that Solihull, Chester and Guiseley are going down without a whimper. Mark Yates is putting a decent squad together at Solihull and Guiseley under Paul Cox could put a run together. We could catch a team currently above the bottom four but still be overtaken by Solihull or Guiseley which would still leave us in a relegation place.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Yes, good point Jack, beginning to wish Yates had come here