Reserve Team for 2018-19?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Jerry wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 19:26 I know he's getting on a bit but I reckon he already knows who he is.
I'm not so sure he did when I saw him last.......in the Windmill in Brixton; he and I on another 'Last of the Summer Wine' maraud on the unsuspecting grannies of London. Well, grannies in his case; grand daughters in mine! :whistle:
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

merse btpir wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 19:59 I do indeed; and it lifts my faint hope that just maybe Clarke Osborne sees the club as a venture to be re-structured and them moved on......a capitalist venture.

The cessation notice regarding Gaming International and Riviera Stadium Ltd has been on BTPIR since November 16th when it first became apparent so make sure you keep up to speed on there for constant monitoring of Clarke Osborn and whatever appears on the Companies House website. Questions were being asked such as was Osborne trying to stop United dragging down GI's profits? Making the club easier to sell via being a stand alone entity? Allowing him to do some dodgy deals such as loading loans onto the company without being under as much scrutiny?

It's the spectre of loans into the company that need to be keenly monitored for this is the stealth by which he acquired the football club in the first place. Don't expect him to come out and say just what he is up to ~ that's not his style by a long chalk

If TUFC were to be sold, then GI won't want to sell it as a 'division' of theirs; they'll want to sell it as a stand-alone company. And any buyer in their right mind wouldn't want to buy a bit of GI; they'd want to buy a company in its own right would they not? If Osborne continues to put money into the club ~ but as loans intended to be called in at some point after having got his hands on the freehold ~ having those loans appear on a less well known company's balance sheets is far better for him. Rather than having them appear on GI's where there are more stakeholders and more interested parties to ask awkward questions.

Osborne has far more promising, and presumably more time-consuming, enterprises than Torquay United in his non-GI portfolio. Chief amongst these might be TrueSpeed Communications of which he is chair. This is a business that was formed in 2014 and is involved in bringing "ultra fast" broadband to rural communities. It all started in the Chew Valley, south of Bristol, where he lives. Earlier this year TrueSpeed received £75 million from Aviva Investors. Last week TrueSpeed announced details of further expansion into north Somerset with future plans to move into Devon, Wiltshire, Herefordshire and Gloucestershire. The company's website talks of its product being "faster, fairer, future-proof"...big business eh?
:lol: :clap:
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

desperado wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 16:03 Probably saw you play Stefano...Tell me your initials and what position you played and I'll tell you who you are... I seem to remember Welton Rovers being always around the top of the league. Wonder what happened to them?
I'll pm you so as not to bore everybody else with events of 50 years ago! Pleased you mentioned Welton Rovers as that brings back memories for me too. In my early teens I always looked out for that fixture as they were a top team in that league and would head down to Plainmoor by bus from Newton Abbot to see them. A few short years later I played away to them so nice to see merse's picture of the old stand. Lost 4-2. What I particularly remember is clinging mud and a very vocal and partisan crowd!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

merse btpir wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 20:01 I'm not so sure he did when I saw him last.......in the Windmill in Brixton; he and I on another 'Last of the Summer Wine' maraud on the unsuspecting grannies of London. Well, grannies in his case; grand daughters in mine! :whistle:
Excellent evening merse! Coincidentally I am seeing the same two groups this evening at the Beehive in Honiton. As in Brixton I will stay at a luxurious Premier Inn. The Leylines have only played in London once more since we saw them in Brixton and I was abroad at the time, but I'll give you a shout when they are up there next with me in attendance.....
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

nickbrod wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 11:25 When I was at St Luke's College, as club secretary (and occasional sub) playing at St James Park for home games, used to enjoy Torquay Reserve games in the Western League.
In my opinion having a reserve side is essential for the benefit of the first team. A good move long overdue.
We may have seen each other without knowing it as in 1970 to 1974 I was in goal for W.S.M. and played at the Cat & Fiddle ground during that time. I managed Keynsham Town in 89 to 93 but I think St Lukes pulled out of the Western League but Torquay came back in arround that time Compton was manager of a good reserve side.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Without boring other posters I was at St Luke's 1969 - 1971. Club secretary from 70 - 71. Wrote the programme cover to cover, sorted out the adverts, got it printed and had a weekly column in the Express & Echo under the byline 'Luke'.