GI bring the scaffolding in

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

GI bring the scaffolding in

Post by Teigngull »

I've noticed as has someone else on an other forum that scaffolding is starting to go up around the family stand. Anyone have any idea why ?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

For Harrop's Christmas lunch. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

i should imagine it's to fix the roof as over the last few weeks water's been getting through ceilings in some rooms and on a staircase.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

As long as it's all above board & CO isn't starting to demolish bits by stealth !
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes I read that thread on the TFF, is this a question that even needed asking, really ?, if they were going to knock the ground down by stealth or not, there would be no scaffolding. Of course it will be to fix the roof, or work of that nature, when carrying out work at a certain height or above, for anything other than work deemed as short duration, scaffolding is a requirement.
Formerly known as forevertufc
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

forevertufc wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 21:16Yes I read that thread on the TFF, is this a question that even needed asking, really ?
Only by an idiot ~ 'developers' do not erect scaffoldng :}
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

It sounds like they are at last tackling the box gutter to the roof. Basically it is shot through - I have been up there and it is rusted through for much of its length with several patch repairs over the years to try and keep it going. However, it needs renewal or at least lining to prevent the frequent leaks down the inside of the back wall of the structure.

Have to say I have been impressed with what has been happening with the Club's infrastructure over recent months - Bristows Bench had significant leaking along the front walkway and at various expansion joints and they too have been professionally dealt with.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Yes but in some tiny minds you fix the guttering and it's a pre-amble to demolition....only in [s]Royston Veysey[/s] the upside down world of the deluded; eh!

As long ago as a couple of years ago I was told it was quite alarming how even the infrastructure of Bristows Bench ~ which is even now only five years old ~ has been neglected and insufficiently maintained and that considerable expense had been 'pushed on' to the current owners. There are similar problems of a more established nature in the Family Stand infrastructure causing ceilings to leak and the subsequent deterioration of the interior associated with that; but do something about it and the club stands accused of preparing for demolition.

It's a shame that the club has never thought fit to showcase the interior facilities to the public.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

They're not relying on Colin Authurs and his cherry-picker any more then-I wonder what's happened to him?
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

unsustainable, much like many aspects of the club

Here is another local example, plainmoor pool wants to raise £1,500,000 to keep going
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding ... =V2K4ywDQq

How long do you keep pumping money into these black holes?
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 21 Dec 2017, 09:22 Yes but in some tiny minds you fix the guttering and it's a pre-amble to demolition....only in [s]Royston Veysey[/s] the upside down world of the deluded; eh!

As long ago as a couple of years ago I was told it was quite alarming how even the infrastructure of Bristows Bench ~ which is even now only five years old ~ has been neglected and insufficiently maintained and that considerable expense had been 'pushed on' to the current owners. There are similar problems of a more established nature in the Family Stand infrastructure causing ceilings to leak and the subsequent deterioration of the interior associated with that; but do something about it and the club stands accused of preparing for demolition.

It's a shame that the club has never thought fit to showcase the interior facilities to the public.
Whilst the bench offer's some great views to watch the football we must be the only professional club in the country who built a new stand with no catering or toilet facilities. The fact all the fans in the bench and the family stand have to share one catering "hut" and a toilet block is ridiculous. As is the flow of spectators from the stand it must take ages for those fans at the away end of the bench to get out when we have a large crowd.

A bar for the away fans at half time could have generated some much needed extra income.

I understand the funding was linked to use by the school but like many things with the recent history of this club it feels like a missed opportunity.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I've just seen this on the official website, do you think this was meant for Torquay fans?

https://www.torquayunited.com/national- ... l-details/
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

merse btpir wrote: 21 Dec 2017, 09:22 Yes but in some tiny minds you fix the guttering and it's a pre-amble to demolition....only in [s]Royston Veysey[/s] the upside down world of the deluded; eh!

I have just been informed by a man that knows, it has been installed just in case this merse bloke puts in an appearance over the festive season they can accommodate the huge chip on his very knowledgeable condescending shoulders . !! :na:
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Apologies for being pedantic but couldn't help myself :)

when we have a large crowd? mmmmmmmm

A bar for the away fans - mmmmmmmm don't know what the average of wawy fans is but lets say 50, half of which wont probably drink. Some will have half pints or coke, don't think there is allot of profit there.
TUST MEMBER
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Nevertheless; the build of Bristow's Bench was carried out in a rather brainless fashion ~ no toilets, no catering, no 'prestigious' viewing area for sponsors/directors, no drainage consideration for the pitch ~ it's a real shame because the view is optimum (if into a setting sun) and it's a handsome structure........

To think that forty years ago my colleague Alex Jackson and I were presenting a case with brewery backing for the board to consider making the Marnham Road/Victoria Road corner the new hub of the club with social facilities incorporating a viewing lounge with plate glass frontage above new dressing rooms in that corner and a seated stand along the soon to condemned Popside with that pesky setting sun behind instead of in the eyes of the seated patrons and technical areas. The ancient old grandstand could then have been de-commissioned at a later date without the inconvenience of temporary dressing rooms and press facilities. There was no boardroom appetite for it!

It came for Mike Bateson to grasp the nettle and construct the Family Stand after we had left.