The loanees

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
TUST_Member_Rob

The loanees

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Who to keep and who to say goodbye too?

Defence

Alex Davey - had looked fairly solid since his arrival but was poor on saturday
Michee Efete - grown into his time here and disappointing that he picked up his current injury
Jazzi Barnum-Bobb - no better than Higgins IMO - disgrace on Saturday
Axel Andrésson - Hasnt looked that comfortable since arriving but has the benefit of being a youth loan and not counting towards the match day 5

Midfield
Callum Evans - for me doesnt add anything attacking or defensively, Lathrope has come back and done a better job
George Dowling - injury has limited his game time - has shown glimpses of promise
Josh McQuoid - very wasteful in front of goal, poor decision making

forwards
Rhys Murphy - think his lack of recent appearances show his time is up - never impressed

I would only think about keeping Dowling and Efete - if his injury isnt too bad, and possibly Davey.

Opinions on who we should keep?
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

For me Davey , and Efete if he's likely to recover his fitness soon enough. None of the rest.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Dowling in a good side is a must. Efete should have his loan extended as he's class too.
After what Owers said yesterday I think you'll find that 3 loanees are off next week. I take that to mean Murphy, McQuoid and Evans. And with Barnum-Bobb's now three match suspension by the time he can play again his current loan will be up. Unless of course any/some of these loans become permanent signings.
Guess we'll find out soon enough.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Davey, Efete and Dowling. JBB may as well go back to his parent club now if he cant play for us again.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

Not a difficult prediction as the clues were pretty obvious but confirmed tonight that we say goodbye to Murphy, McQuoid and Evans.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Where is this confirmed - nothing on the website.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

On a general note, and this is intended to start a discussion.

What would happen if Loanees were not allowed. It would make clubs like us increase our squads, probably with local players on next to nothing, which might level out things and improve the chances for local players. Personally I find it ever more difficult to "support" a club that just has a merry go round of loanees,

What is in the mind of a player on loan. I would guess that when they arrive they are probably full of optimism, BUT if they are not played I think that would evaporate fast. I'm sure I have seen many times loanees start good and then fade, that must be physiological.

Now to the contributors on this forum out there who are waiting with hands on Keyboard ready to instantly ridicule the above, read what Ive said carefully and take a breath before proving your superior knowledge of such things.
TUST MEMBER
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Neal wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 08:40 What would happen if Loanees were not allowed.
Football at the levels below the EFL League 1 would cease to function to thelevels that we know it now.....

WE are a club that pioneered the 'loan' system right back in 1949 when taking Don Mills from QPR to benefit his heath ~ he was suffering from acute acne and it was hoped the sea air would benefit him ~ it was later that he came back on a permanent basis when signing from Leeds United in 1952

Then in the mid-sixties Frank O'Farrell resurrected the concept, bringing in Billy Kitchener from West Ham (by the way his iniial target turned him down; that was Frank Lampard!) and then others followed like John Docker from the Hammers, David James and then Trevor Shepherd from Coventry City and so it has gone on and grown.

The next time you are at Plainmoor take a look round and look at the sparse crowds; how do you think the club can function and how many can they actually afford to pay a living wage to on those sort of gates?

That's why we have the loan system and that's why it is used so prolifically especially in the National League.

The mindset of a loanee is pertinent indeed; but is it any different than that of a youngster who has dropped down from a bigger club and taking a punt on resurrecting his career at a much smaller one hoping that is stay will be minimal and leading to stepping back up again? Depends on the individual I suppose but it's a two way thing ~ a club's attitude to loanees coming in and vice versa and I don't think the attitudes of the likes of Chris Hargreaves and Kevin Nicholson were particularly conducive to certain of their loanees busting a gut when they were here.

Nicholson confided to me how too many of those loanees lacked stature, determination and competitiveness; the problem you get when failing to (or are unable) to do your research properly I guess.....Owers and Kuhl do at least appear to be going for more robust and capable types of loanees; but whether or not that has worked out in the cases of Murphy, McQuoid, Evans and Barnum-Bobb is debatable.

The club's record and reputation in assimilating loanees is all important as Axel Andresson's comments on the good vibes he got before committing to coming down illustrate; I wonder what advice George Dowling got from Shaun McCoulsky though?

Whatever we think the loan system will go on because the simple reason is that football at our level is so reliant on it, and in our case we are simply incapable of producing our own aren't we!
Last edited by merse btpir on 19 Dec 2017, 10:01, edited 2 times in total.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Just seems to me that the loanees recently seem to lack any quality and don't bring much to the party. Casting my mind back to better days I remember Steve Bould, Jim Hagen, Simon Milton Jason Roberts and Kevin Hodges all having loan spells with us and,I think, all of them made valuable contributions. Cant really think of any recent loanees that have made that sort of impression
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

We were a better class of club to be attractive to players of that quality then though weren't we.
SatNav
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by SatNav »

Kiefer Moore was the last loanee that made a real impact!!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Dean Sturridge was a great loanee, too.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

DB57 wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 08:36 Where is this confirmed - nothing on the website.
Read it on the OS.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Nicholson and Hargreaves attitudes now being blamed for loanees not busting a gut !
Both signed some pretty good loanees, down to the player himself mainly, dont think Owers loanees
have been any better
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

The next one(s) are those that are going to count to make a big difference especially if here for three months, that's almost to the end of the season. I would, though, expect there to be a few permanent signings possibly from League clubs when the window's open in January.
The transfer money apparently to be used a few weeks ago (for Dayle Grubb) is hopefully still available.