The loanees

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

desperado wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 15:25Nicholson and Hargreaves attitudes now being blamed for loanees not busting a gut !
I'm talking about loanees being brought in by them, not getting pitch time and losing their way; then not getting selected on the basis of that according to the manager.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I expect Dowling had advice from Paul Hirons.
Andresson looks a good player playing central as he did at Tranmere for people to judge him on one game is a bit naff
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Andresson wasn't great against Gateshead, was poor on Saturday and from looking at the Tranmere highlights was "involved" in two of the goals conceded.
Whilst not his fault his arrival and the loss of Efete has unbalanced Davey and by implication the back three.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

nickbrod wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 18:30 Andresson wasn't great against Gateshead, was poor on Saturday and from looking at the Tranmere highlights was "involved" in two of the goals conceded.
Whilst not his fault his arrival and the loss of Efete has unbalanced Davey and by implication the back three.
I don't know what you were looking at as I was there and he was very good at Tranmere and he suffered as did McGinty when we had a crap wing back.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Don't expect we will see Jazzie B back again. Hope he enjoys his extended Christmas break - what a time to get a straight red, so close to the holidays and with 3 games left on his loan!! :whistle:
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

merse btpir wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 09:52 Football at the levels below the EFL League 1 would cease to function to thelevels that we know it now.....

WE are a club that pioneered the 'loan' system right back in 1949 when taking Don Mills from QPR to benefit his heath ~ he was suffering from acute acne and it was hoped the sea air would benefit him ~ it was later that he came back on a permanent basis when signing from Leeds United in 1952

Then in the mid-sixties Frank O'Farrell resurrected the concept, bringing in Billy Kitchener from West Ham (by the way his iniial target turned him down; that was Frank Lampard!) and then others followed like John Docker from the Hammers, David James and then Trevor Shepherd from Coventry City and so it has gone on and grown.

The next time you are at Plainmoor take a look round and look at the sparse crowds; how do you think the club can function and how many can they actually afford to pay a living wage to on those sort of gates?

That's why we have the loan system and that's why it is used so prolifically especially in the National League.

The mindset of a loanee is pertinent indeed; but is it any different than that of a youngster who has dropped down from a bigger club and taking a punt on resurrecting his career at a much smaller one hoping that is stay will be minimal and leading to stepping back up again? Depends on the individual I suppose but it's a two way thing ~ a club's attitude to loanees coming in and vice versa and I don't think the attitudes of the likes of Chris Hargreaves and Kevin Nicholson were particularly conducive to certain of their loanees busting a gut when they were here.

[highlight=yellow]Nicholson confided to me how too many of those loanees lacked stature, determination and competitiveness; the problem you get when failing to (or are unable) to do your research properly I guess[/highlight].....Owers and Kuhl do at least appear to be going for more robust and capable types of loanees; but whether or not that has worked out in the cases of Murphy, McQuoid, Evans and Barnum-Bobb is debatable.

The club's record and reputation in assimilating loanees is all important as Axel Andresson's comments on the good vibes he got before committing to coming down illustrate; I wonder what advice George Dowling got from Shaun McCoulsky though?

Whatever we think the loan system will go on because the simple reason is that football at our level is so reliant on it, and in our case we are simply incapable of producing our own aren't we!
Et tu Brute.
A great confidant you are: why didn't you give Nicholson the benefit of your wisdom at the time instead of later stabbing him in the back with hindsight?
Does Owers confide in you too or does he have more sense?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Cant think of many loan players who weren't given game time by Hargreaves, a few I agree under Nicholson
though obviously a reason for that, the main one that stands out is probably Shawn McCoulsky, who
didnt get a look in here, and is now scoring quite a few and doing very well at Newport
Pains me to see the manager Flynn doing well, he was the player who got Zebroski sent off, after clutching his face
and rolling around, then getting up and winking at the crowd once the red was shown, Zebroski innocent for once