Torquay v Gateshead

Matchday topics are moved here for easier viewing.

SuperNickyWroe
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Posts: 6294
Joined: 04 Sep 2010, 22:49
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Location: Sunny Barnsley, Yorkshire
Contact:

Torquay v Gateshead

Post by SuperNickyWroe » 12 Dec 2017, 21:38

FT 1-1.
one point better than none.
TUST Member 468
17/8/17 Brucie posted "SNW is right" :)
The First Member of the Month
And the poster formerly known as BarnsleyGull


Image
Image


Teigngull
First Team
First Team
Posts: 115
Joined: 12 Nov 2017, 14:22
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher
Location: Teignmouth

Post by Teigngull » 12 Dec 2017, 21:49

Well you couldn't make it up could you, not even a Hollywood film director would believe it, the great escape crew '87 in attendance & the last minute equaliser goal scorer ( Dobbo ) in the ground, lo & behold the opposition blatantly time wasting & what happens tonight ? a last minute equaliser ( McGinty ) if you'd made it up they'd cart you off to the funny farm surely .


Jack
First Team
First Team
Posts: 122
Joined: 10 Nov 2015, 09:07
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack » 12 Dec 2017, 21:51

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 21:38
FT 1-1.
one point better than none.
Not good enough though. We are doomed with the current management in charge. We can't even average a goal a game any more.


westyorkshiregull
Team Captain
Team Captain
Posts: 764
Joined: 01 Feb 2012, 09:20
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull » 12 Dec 2017, 21:57

Teigngull wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 21:49
Well you couldn't make it up could you, not even a Hollywood film director would believe it, the great escape crew '87 in attendance & the last minute equaliser goal scorer ( Dobbo ) in the ground, lo & behold the opposition blatantly time wasting & what happens tonight ? a last minute equaliser ( McGinty ) if you'd made it up they'd cart you off to the funny farm surely .
Must have been karma


westyorkshiregull
Team Captain
Team Captain
Posts: 764
Joined: 01 Feb 2012, 09:20
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull » 12 Dec 2017, 22:02

Also in attendance Stuart morgan


merse btpir
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 1326
Joined: 02 Jan 2017, 10:58
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir » 12 Dec 2017, 22:18

Jack wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 21:51
Not good enough though. We are doomed with the current management in charge. We can't even average a goal a game any more.
You sure about that?

At least they're fit enough to do that now, unlike under the last piss-poor management.

Typically poor side though ~ OK until they go behind then confidence evaporates down the plughole. So how do you counter that? Bring in a Racchi type figure; a Mal Lucas or John Benson for us older fans; someone who will bark, bollock and bite.

Nicholson didn't like that and let his little ninnies in the squad influence him. Surely Owers (and more pertinently Kuhl) will see that as the way out of this because you can take it from me players like Young, Lathrope and McGinty are no leaders. Unless that is done then forget any conversion on the road to Damascus or whatever else you want to call National South.

At least the manner in which they play the game now shows how fit they are to be taking the game to the other team; sticking at it and coming strong at the end ~ unlike the disgraceful state of affairs when Owers and Kuhl had to come in and clear up Nicholson's mess....and to think; he got a silver salver for it. It should have been a dog shit pooper scooper!

The extent to which they are able to recruit now that so many loan contracts are coming to an end though will determine all; and the gap from safety is six points effectively, so the message is stick at it and keep working hard!
Last edited by merse btpir on 12 Dec 2017, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.


SuperNickyWroe
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Posts: 6294
Joined: 04 Sep 2010, 22:49
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Location: Sunny Barnsley, Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by SuperNickyWroe » 12 Dec 2017, 22:30

Jack wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 21:51
SuperNickyWroe wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 21:38
FT 1-1.
one point better than none.
Not good enough though. We are doomed with the current management in charge. We can't even average a goal a game any more.

lets face it, we were no great shakes before goalscoring wise - and at least now we look like we can defend and a big plus -
look like we can actually compete for the 90+ mins...
would we have scored that equaliser at the start of the season??? I doubt it.
agree with merse - we need a branston type loud mouth in the team!
TUST Member 468
17/8/17 Brucie posted "SNW is right" :)
The First Member of the Month
And the poster formerly known as BarnsleyGull


Image
Image


forevertufc
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Posts: 6783
Joined: 05 Sep 2010, 07:57
Location: Newton abbot

Post by forevertufc » 12 Dec 2017, 22:34

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 22:30
- and at least now we look like we can defend and a big plus -
Don't know about that Chris, wait until you see the Gateshead goal :'(


TUST_Member_Rob
Team Captain
Team Captain
Posts: 611
Joined: 20 Jun 2015, 16:53
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by TUST_Member_Rob » 12 Dec 2017, 22:34

Well a last minute goal to make it 1-1 and a great chance in the last minute to win it - think the ball hit the keeper rather than him saving it!

however don't let that mask what was a dreadful performance, it truly was dire!

McQuoid for starters all over the place, woeful shooting and passing - i see Evans was back on the bench i'd rather Young played further up.

Gateshead didn't really need to get a sweat and were rarely troubled

Davis had a decent first half but couldnt impact as much in the 2nd half where we were off the pace, B-Bobb also struggled massively down the right,

Little note for JMW - came on - dived and got rightly booked - what Owers sees in him god knows!

ref - poor

Crowd - poor - and what kicked off the 'fight/scuffle' between the stewards and fans at the end?


SuperNickyWroe
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Posts: 6294
Joined: 04 Sep 2010, 22:49
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Location: Sunny Barnsley, Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by SuperNickyWroe » 12 Dec 2017, 22:38

forevertufc wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 22:34
SuperNickyWroe wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 22:30
- and at least now we look like we can defend and a big plus -
Don't know about that Chris, wait until you see the Gateshead goal :'(
:@
:rofl:
TUST Member 468
17/8/17 Brucie posted "SNW is right" :)
The First Member of the Month
And the poster formerly known as BarnsleyGull


Image
Image


forevertufc
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Posts: 6783
Joined: 05 Sep 2010, 07:57
Location: Newton abbot

Post by forevertufc » 12 Dec 2017, 22:46

Disappointing tonight, having seen recent home performances, not at the races, bad error at the back 1 down, and confidence and self belief disappeared from the team quickly, not 2 points dropped, not a 1 point gained, 1 point stolen, nearly all 3 at the death as shot anywhere but straight at the Gateshead keeper would have gone in, whilst Gateshead didn't trouble Dorel much, they played the conditions at lot better than us.

Sadly a bore witness to some awful stewarding at the end of the game, whilst I didn't see the initial incident only have one version of events, I did see the aftermath, poorly handled, and to see one particular steward antagonise fans just when things were beginning to calm down, out of order, I'll bow to SG on this. If what I was told is correct, and incident that didn't need to happen, but it did, I always thought it the job of security staff to deal with the initial problem and then defuse the situation, their actions just made things worse.


westyorkshiregull
Team Captain
Team Captain
Posts: 764
Joined: 01 Feb 2012, 09:20
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull » 12 Dec 2017, 22:49

More echos of Crewe 87 with crowd trouble
.....not condoning it by the way. The 2 companies involved are chucking quite a bit of money at it and I can't wait

User avatar

Southampton Gull
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 7067
Joined: 05 Sep 2010, 01:35
Favourite player: Brett Williams
Location: Southampton

Post by Southampton Gull » 12 Dec 2017, 23:01

forevertufc wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 22:46
Disappointing tonight, having seen recent home performances, not at the races, bad error at the back 1 down, and confidence and self belief disappeared from the team quickly, not 2 points dropped, not a 1 point gained, 1 point stolen, nearly all 3 at the death as shot anywhere but straight at the Gateshead keeper would have gone in, whilst Gateshead didn't trouble Dorel much, they played the conditions at lot better than us.

Sadly a bore witness to some awful stewarding at the end of the game, whilst I didn't see the initial incident only have one version of events, I did see the aftermath, poorly handled, and to see one particular steward antagonise fans just when things were beginning to calm down, out of order, I'll bow to SG on this. If what I was told is correct, and incident that didn't need to happen, but it did, I always thought it the job of security staff to deal with the initial problem and then defuse the situation, their actions just made things worse.
Unfortunately we've all seen how poor the standards of stewarding are from some, usually amongst the response team. The easiest way to teach them how to do their job properly is to take them with me to games like West Ham v Chelsea, Spurs v Arsenal etc etc, they wouldn't get away with their behaviour at games like those.
Dave




Friend of TorquayFans.com


westyorkshiregull
Team Captain
Team Captain
Posts: 764
Joined: 01 Feb 2012, 09:20
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull » 12 Dec 2017, 23:02

What did they do the stewards


Jerry
Team Captain
Team Captain
Posts: 954
Joined: 05 Sep 2010, 10:03

Post by Jerry » 12 Dec 2017, 23:02

TUST_Member_Rob wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 22:34

Crowd - poor - and what kicked off the 'fight/scuffle' between the stewards and fans at the end?
There was a lad stood in front of me who said he had snuck in even though he was banned. The stewards waited until the game had finished before deciding to go onto the Pop and drag him out right in the middle of all his mates. Unsurprisingly it all kicked off.

Not sure what they thought would be achieved by wading in after the game had finished?

There was a larger then normal group of the usual hoolie mob there tonight so no real surprise to me that there was aggro but the stewards definitely created a problem when there was no need.

As for the game....we were abject from start to finish. But for a change we snatched a result we didn't deserve.

Post Reply