FA Trophy First Round

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

wivelgull wrote: 30 Nov 2017, 10:38 No: the REAL Great Escape was on the last day of the season in 1987 when we survived thanks to a last minute (injury time) goal by Paul Dobson against Crewe Alexandra. Just ask anyone who was there!!
Great as that may have been it wasn't a "Great Escape" in my eyes. Staying up on the last day of the season doesn't qualify for me. You need to have come back from a seemingly impossible position with a string of victories.

I would also suggest that if you were the manager who got the club adrift at the bottom in the first place you can't claim an escape as a huge achievement.

Hence the "Atkins Miracle" trumps all others! :na:
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Jerry wrote: 30 Nov 2017, 12:30 I would also suggest that if you were the manager who got the club adrift at the bottom in the first place you can't claim an escape as a huge achievement.
.......and I would agree!
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

merse btpir wrote: 29 Nov 2017, 06:34 How do you 'concentrate on the league'?

We only finished just above the relegation zone 'concentrating on the league' in the last two seasons; did we have any sort of cup run the season we came down under Farcegreaves? Err; no!

'Concentrating on the league' is an urban myth!
Unless you get relegated from the league and are therefore no longer able to “concentrate “ on it , as you are no longer in it !
I say play every game to win it in our situation . It helps confidence, tactical noise and above all ,it shows that the fans actually want to see the best 11 we have available.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The Atkins miracle was remarkable. I remember coming away from Nene Park (Rushden & Diamonds) having seen us lose to the 23rd place team with 5(?) matches left. Seem to recall there was a few hundred Gulls there too. Never forget Bedeau chipping the ball straight into the goalkeeper's arms from 10 yards, which would have equalised the tie!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

United62 wrote: 30 Nov 2017, 10:52 ^ This.... that was one helluva day!
Yep it was. Remember like yesterday the heat , dust and the crowd in the 2nd half just shouting.
Stuart Morgan always thought of well for me , I know different era then , but took over management after David Webb. The crowd always backed him from what I can remember.
Loved them days
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

merse btpir wrote: 30 Nov 2017, 08:54 Getting beaten by a better side from 2 leagues below WAS their fault!

Lavercombe; Berry, Smith, MacDonald, Nicholson (Hancox) Racchi, Richards, Butler, Rees (Verma ) Wright, Allen (Gerring) were packed into that min-bus when there was no other reason than pandering to the 'victim' mentality of poor little Kev.

But the game wasn't lost in the minibus, it was lost out on the pitch where they were outfought and out thought by a better opposition and management.

The cost of proper; professional transport was deductible from the gate as would have overnight accommodation but no they had to make twarts of themselves like that ~ and how it showed in the performance!

You should speak to Bognor fans since that day and learn what a laughing stock they made of our club
The official attendance for the match was 1821: pray tell us Merse what proceeds would that have generated? In your self appointed capacity as guardian of the FA books of rules and laws etc could you confirm that the income and expenditure relating to the match was apportioned on a basis of 45% to each club. Then put on your accountancy hat (I presume that accountant is one of the trades at which you are merely a jack rather than a king) and try to explain the financial logic of hiring "proper; professional transport" and "overnight accommodation". If the clubs share the profits of the game it means that expenses are shared on the same basis - are you following the logic, Merse? - so if financial restraints were in place any savings would have been beneficial from Torquay's point of view. Of course, for a game at a sold out Old Trafford or Emirates such savings would be insignificant but a match in front of 1821 at Bognor hardly comes into that category. Stop being a twart with regard to Nicholson: the guy did things which you may not have done if you had been in his position but you were not the manager of Torquay United, so despite your pomposity you do not know all the facts. Move on.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Net gate receipts are calculated after the expenses of the visiting club are deducted, along with other costs of staging the tie.
TUST number 080
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Arrywithnobrain lives up to his name again and declines the space afforded him to make an intelligent response in favour of an abusive one. The very next post presents an intelligent and informed point of view which underlines the FACT that there was absolutely no reason to turn up in that minibus in favour of something more appropriate, professional and practical. A silver salver to Arrywithnobrain for his efforts.

It was once again Nicholson attempting to divert attention away from his own and his team's shortcomings ~ a sicknote before the sickness was manifest.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench

merse btpir wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 13:27 Arrywithnobrain lives up to his name again and declines the space afforded him to make an intelligent response in favour of an abusive one. The very next post presents an intelligent and informed point of view which underlines the FACT that there was absolutely no reason to turn up in that minibus in favour of something more appropriate, professional and practical. A silver salver to Arrywithnobrain for his efforts.

It was once again Nicholson attempting to divert attention away from his own and his team's shortcomings ~ a sicknote before the sickness was manifest.
What was abusive Merse?: the fact that I used quotes from your utterly dumb post or the fact that I exposed your absence of rational thought? If you do not understand the English language do not compound your ignorance by making stupid statements. If you had read my post properly you would have realised that I was making the point that Torquay have to bear 45% of their travel and accommodation costs for away games in the FA Trophy therefore it is in their interest financially to keep those costs to a minimum when they are in severe financial straits. However, I did realise that it was probably beyond your capabilities to understand that fact - hence the comment relating to a 'Jack of all trades'. Considering that you pride yourself on your thick skin it is amusing to see how sensitive you are to pinpricks but I suppose that is something that is shared by all balloons - especially ones full of hot air.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I think you calling him a 'twart' (sic) constitutes abusive.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Because for all your intent to deliver personal insult; you fail to see that there was a fully available facility to recoup all the costs of a suitable mode of transport to and from that game ~ end of. Do you think that Bognor would have travelled to Torquay in a minibus if they had been required to?

If they had, then Torquay United would have had that cost deducted from the gross receipts just as Bognor would have for the game that was staged and in any case none of this nonsence justifies being outplayed by a team two levels lower. It was nothing to do with 'concentrating on the league' it was all to do with not being good enough!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

That's if local travel companies were prepared to wait for payment until the club received theirs...................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench

Plainmoor78 wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 14:19 I think you calling him a 'twart' (sic) constitutes abusive.
"twart" : a word from the Merse English Dictionary - not a word that I use or even comprehend ( see his post 0
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench

merse btpir wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 14:20 Because for all your intent to deliver personal insult; you fail to see that there was a fully available facility to recoup all the costs of a suitable mode of transport to and from that game ~ end of. Do you think that Bognor would have travelled to Torquay in a minibus if they had been required to?

If they had, then Torquay United would have had that cost deducted from the gross receipts just as Bognor would have for the game that was staged and in any case none of this nonsence justifies being outplayed by a team two levels lower. It was nothing to do with 'concentrating on the league' it was all to do with not being good enough!
Not personal insult Merse - you don't indulge in that do you? - but incredulity if you are really as ignorant of basic arithmetic as you imply or could it be that you are just trying to find any excuse to be critical of Nicholson, no matter how unjustified. Of course Torquay would be reimbursed their travel and accommodation costs but that reimbursement would be deducted from the gate receipts. Torquay received 45% of the net receipts therefore the greater their expenses the smaller the value of their net share and conversely the smaller their expenses the greater the value of their net share. Bognor may have a huge budget for travel or they may manage on a shoestring; they may own their own coach or aircraft or the team may have to hitch lifts to away matches - it is of no relevance to Torquay United - although "if they had been required to" then yes "Bognor would have travelled to Torquay in a minibus" as the word 'required' indicates an obligation.
With regard to the effect of a minibus journey upon the team's specific performance I would pass no comment as I did not attend the match and watching a game is generally a prerequisite for making a worthwhile comment upon it: I am sure that that is something upon which we can agree.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

I would offer you a gentleman’s wager Arry that he will most certainly not agree !!
It appears that quite a number of his surgical examinations are conducted using two minute you tube clips a few hundred miles away from such a vantage point .