The Gaffer

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Many said Nicholson was to soft with the players and wanted a manager that would take no mercy. We now have that in Owers. So it's a devils advocate scenario. What is the best approach. I don't recall Owers naming and shaming players, more a broad line approach.
Lucy
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

lucy6lucy wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 02:04 I don't recall Owers naming and shaming players, more a broad line approach.
Of course, the answer to that is that he hasn't. He's merely stated the bleedin' obvious which is what has been so obviously missing up until his arrival.

Any team underperforming as the Torquay United side has should both expect this and be able to cope with it. He is ~ after all ~ just doing what we all want him to do isn't he; or do some prefer a relegation fight to a competent squad of players who win their home matches and get a decent haul of points from away games?
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

merse btpir wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 06:35 Of course, the answer to that is that he hasn't. He's merely stated the bleedin' obvious which is what has been so obviously missing up until his arrival.

Any team underperforming as the Torquay United side has should both expect this and be able to cope with it. He is ~ after all ~ just doing what we all want him to do isn't he; or do some prefer a relegation fight to a competent squad of players who win their home matches and get a decent haul of points from away games?
During the last two seasons we were shopping for players in the corner shop.
In the close season it seemed we had moved up to aldi/Lidl but it wasn't clear who had the credit card. Harrop? Hedges? Nicho?
We certainly ended up with a bit of a motley crew.
If we are now shopping in Waitrose then that is great news but with the lack of communication from the Boardroom I wouldn't know. However if the Gaffer has money at his disposal he should head for the shops pdq.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

merse btpir wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 06:35 Of course, the answer to that is that he hasn't. He's merely stated the bleedin' obvious which is what has been so obviously missing up until his arrival.

Trust Merse to think Owers is doing his job properly. It would be good to see a relegation fight or a competent squad of players or home games being won or a decent haul of points from away games. When Owers and Kuhl were appointed it was anticipated that we might see all four: at present just one would be a bonus compared with what has actually been achieved by this dynamic new management team.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Footballs a funny game :)
TUST MEMBER
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I took my missus to her first game recently, not that interested in football and I don't think has ever been to a game before.

One comment she made was.

"These people are all a bit odd" mmmmmm probably included me in that lol. Cant really disagree when you read some posts either
TUST MEMBER
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Jack wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 18:32 And the serial losers are?
McQuoid and Myrie-Williams for me.;-) I see portugull has gone for Murphy. Not one of my choices. Basically, merse thinks Luke Young is the reason we are losing under Owers. He doesn't like McGinty either.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Rjc70 wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 12:53Basically, merse thinks Luke Young is the reason we are losing under Owers. He doesn't like McGinty either.
Young's a poor player vastly overrated by people who cannot see that his influence on a game is nowhere near the level at which his role in the team demands. Watch him start the game on Saturday and ask yourself what's going on in his mind?
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?=you ... &FORM=VIRE

The 'playmaker' takes two steps back and hoofs the ball as far as he can so that he finds touch; is he playing rugby? We start just about every game in this fashion and it reveals a lot.

As most games progress he loses his grip on the game; choosing 'Hollywood' attempts at switching play rather than the necessary discipline to retain possession and thus pressure on the opposition. He is not a commanding figure; either in playing style or vocally and that is so badly missing in this squad it hurts.

For Young's profligation with possession read McGinty; a hoof merchant whenever he loses his discipline. McGinty can head and tackle with the best of them, but the opposition can also pretty much rely on him to gift the ball back to them after he has done so; causing the team to be constantly out of position and losing it's shape.

I would replace them asap!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Rjc70 the reason I feel that Murphy and McQuoid are the most disappointing of Owers loan signings is because they are the 2 principal signings in terms of finding the net.
Result is one goal each although Murphy has been out injured for a few games.
They have not had the impact I had anticipated and our attack is still weak and that is being polite.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

That Owers is hopeful of signing two strikers certainly by Saturday but maybe Gnabouyou in time for tomorrow might suggests that he's decided neither Murphy nor McQuoid are the answer.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

nickbrod wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 16:49 That Owers is hopeful of signing two strikers certainly by Saturday but maybe Gnabouyou in time for tomorrow might suggests that he's decided neither Murphy nor McQuoid are the answer.
lets hope so....
has this been stated/released by anyone at the club re Gnabouyou nickbrod?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Online HE story this afternoon.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

nickbrod wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 17:03 Online HE story this afternoon.
cheers mate.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

portugull wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 15:52 Rjc70 the reason I feel that Murphy and McQuoid are the most disappointing of Owers loan signings is because they are the 2 principal signings in terms of finding the net.
Result is one goal each although Murphy has been out injured for a few games.
They have not had the impact I had anticipated and our attack is still weak and that is being polite.
I'm certainly not disagreeing with you regarding McQuoid. He has been truly dreadful. Agree Murphy hasn't had the desired effect either, although I can see a player there.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

nickbrod wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 16:49 That Owers is hopeful of signing two strikers certainly by Saturday but maybe Gnabouyou in time for tomorrow might suggests that he's decided neither Murphy nor McQuoid are the answer.
Fingers crossed. A new striker tomorrow night would be most welcome. I don't really want to go and see McQuoid starting, tbh.