The Gaffer

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 17:12
"...and laud the previous incumbents for the 'achievement' of finishing 17th in this league."
Fair point, but only if the present incumbents can better it.
merse btpir wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 17:12 "Owers and Kuhl inherited this losing mentality; that's how they came to be here" .

As we are making fair points, was that not how the previous incumbents came to be here (with the exception that they were not readily given the financial backing to route out losers with replacements).

I will support Owers and Kuhl until the New Year, but if by that time, points are not still not on the board then serious questions have to be asked about their capabilities, just as they were of the previous incumbents.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 19 Nov 2017, 18:04, edited 2 times in total.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Jack wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 17:39 Sadly the majority of players in yesterdays squad were Hedges/Owers signings so if they have signed losers then that's their problem.
I don't think that the Owers/Kulh set up will succeed but I would like to be pleasantly surprised.
Lumping Hedges and Owers together isn't a level playing field. In this particular debate it would be more accurate to state that five out of yesterday's squad of 16 were brought in by Owers and Kuhl.
Therefore I'm in the camp with those who agree with Owers that some of the serial losers need to move on.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

nickbrod wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 17:58 Lumping Hedges and Owers together isn't a level playing field. In this particular debate it would be more accurate to state that five out of yesterday's squad of 16 were brought in by Owers and Kuhl.
Therefore I'm in the camp with those who agree with Owers that some of the serial losers need to move on.
And the serial losers are?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The 8 players in yesterdays 16 man squad, brought to the club by Nicholson maybe ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Jack just to make the position clear of the 14 players who actually played a part in yesterdays match the breakdown is as follows;

5 from last season McGinty, Young, Lathrope,Reid and Keating.

2 close season signings Gowling and Davis.

Dorel before Owers was appointed.

Efete signed on loan 31st August.

Myrie Williams signed 15th Sept the day before Owers took his first game.

4 loan signings all made by Owers Evans,Murphy, McQuiod, and Barnum Bobb.

The biggest disappoitments have been Murphy and McQuiod.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Jack »

forevertufc wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 18:35 The 8 players in yesterdays 16 man squad, brought to the club by Nicholson maybe ?
Of the 5 players selected for MOTM, 3 were at the Club last season so maybe not.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Think it's to simplistic to compare Knill/Hargreaves/Nicholson/Ower's different managers arriving at different times, under different circumstances, there's not point trying to compare how the team finished last season under Nicho, to how the team has started this either, by and large a different squad.

We can only go on this season, under Nicho/Herrera the team had a record that stood;

P) 9 W) 0 D) 3 L) 6 F) 9 A) 16 PTS 3

This points to a complex number of issues that Ower's and Kruhl have faced and needed to fix, anyone who thought they'd rectify these problems overnight are delusional in my opinion.

Under Ower's our record is;

P) 10 W) 2 D) 2 L) 6 F) 7 A) 11 PTS 8

There clearly has been an improvement if not vast, and as quickly as, us fans wanted or hoped for. There is clearly an issue still in there, with mentality, part of that will only be fixed with a further change in personnel, going to take time.

I've seen every home game, there has been an improvement in fitness, no doubting that, there is more structure to our play, we're more solid at the back, and are not rolling over like we were at the start of the season, the team have dominated some recent match's, but failed to score, Ower's is clearly working on bringing a striker to the club, he'll no doubt succeed, but who ever he brings in has to be better than what's already here, otherwise no point.

Heck of a lot easier, and going to be a quicker process to bring in a striker from Coventry to Solihull, after all there's about 15 miles between the two, so easy for the parent club to keep tabs on their player, than , say Coventry to Torquay.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Jack wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 18:52 Of the 5 players selected for MOTM, 3 were at the Club last season so maybe not.
Clutching at straws there Jack. There were only 6 replies, Reid got 3 votes, and Mcginty 1, these are the only Nicho signings metioned.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

merse btpir wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 17:12 Any fool can see that except the fools who want to hang onto the #greatescape mentality and laud the previous incumbents for the 'achievement' of finishing 17th in this league.

Owers and Kuhl inherited this losing mentality; that's how they came to be here and that's why the previous management are not. Now it's time to root out the serial losers and ask serious questions of them as men, as players and as the failures that they undeniably are!
Totally agree with you. :goodpost:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

My gut instinct says Owers will get this right. There are still 26 games to go.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Jack »

When I mischievously set this particular hare running at breakfast time I was hoping to get some reaction and that has been achieved so thanks to all who have contributed.
Sadly this Forum has felt like it's dying on it's feet apart from a few regular contributors so it is good to get a bit of banter going.
Roll on Tuesday and let's hope "The Gaffer" can become "Mr Motivator" and get the team playing for each other even on a plastic pitch!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I am beginning to smell a whiff of #nichorevenge here from posters still miffed that the manager with the winning bedside manner~ the only winning manner he had this season ~ has been given more time to spend down at the local hospital rather than get in his car and do the homework necessary that was needed to acquire the sort of players who would compete at this level.

Would they for instance, be tempted to chip in for a silver salver for GO & Mister Kuhl for winning 20% of their first ten matches in charge? No; I didn't think so.

How about failing to lose 40% of their first ten....no? Not surprised at that either really.

What will we get next? An attempt to indict Owers & Kuhl for failing to make even one 'Florence Nightingale impersonation' attempt during their time here; it really is disgusting!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Jack wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 19:35 Roll on Tuesday and let's hope "The Gaffer" can become "Mr Motivator" and get the team playing for each other even on a plastic pitch!
The 'plastic' (3G) pitch will be of no consequence ~ United (in common with every other club in the league) have one to prepare on ~ so let's not start making excuses before a ball has been kicked!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

We are a team of National League defenders playing alongside Conference South strikers!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

merse btpir wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 19:39 I am beginning to smell a whiff of #nichorevenge here from posters still miffed that the manager with the winning bedside manner~ the only winning manner he had this season ~ has been given more time to spend down at the local hospital rather than get in his car and do the homework necessary that was needed to acquire the sort of players who would compete at this level.

Would they for instance, be tempted to chip in for a silver salver for GO & Mister Kuhl for winning 20% of their first ten matches in charge? No; I didn't think so.

How about failing to lose 40% of their first ten....no? Not surprised at that either really.

What will we get next? An attempt to indict Owers & Kuhl for failing to make even one 'Florence Nightingale impersonation' attempt during their time here; it really is disgusting!
Dear, oh dear ...... the obnoxious vendetta continues. Yes, Jack - you have set a hare running and stirred things up on the Forum. For what it's worth, my observation is that whatever anyone may say about last season, there was a good team spirit in the side and that is probably what kept us in the league. This season, it is plain to see that there is no team spirit. It is a side of individuals who don't look as if they're enjoying their football. Managers who criticise players publiciy rarely, if ever, succeed. And that is why I am fast losing faith in Owers.