The Gaffer

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

merse btpir wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 13:08 Young's a poor player vastly overrated by people who cannot see that his influence on a game is nowhere near the level at which his role in the team demands. Watch him start the game on Saturday and ask yourself what's going on in his mind?
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?=you ... &FORM=VIRE

The 'playmaker' takes two steps back and hoofs the ball as far as he can so that he finds touch; is he playing rugby? We start just about every game in this fashion and it reveals a lot.

As most games progress he loses his grip on the game; choosing 'Hollywood' attempts at switching play rather than the necessary discipline to retain possession and thus pressure on the opposition. He is not a commanding figure; either in playing style or vocally and that is so badly missing in this squad it hurts.

For Young's profligation with possession read McGinty; a hoof merchant whenever he loses his discipline. McGinty can head and tackle with the best of them, but the opposition can also pretty much rely on him to gift the ball back to them after he has done so; causing the team to be constantly out of position and losing it's shape.

I would replace them asap!
To put this in perspective. This is the opinion of someone who probably watches a United game less than 10 times a season and bases his opinions on video footage. It goes without saying that all those who probably watched far more games last season, and voted Luke Young as Player of the Season and Sean McGinty as Young Player of the Season are delusional fools who know nothing about football. ;-)
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Having just read the post from Dave on another thread "Offer of Assistance" the penny has dropped. "The Gaffer" is Patrick Tinkler speak for Geoff Harrop not Gary Owers as I had assumed. Doh!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

tomogull wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 22:20 To put this in perspective. This is the opinion of someone who probably watches a United game less than 10 times a season and bases his opinions on video footage. It goes without saying that all those who probably watched far more games last season, and voted Luke Young as Player of the Season and Sean McGinty as Young Player of the Season are delusional fools who know nothing about football. ;-)
To be fair it's just someones opinion. How does someones opinion make everyone else fools. I only watch 6 - 8 games a year but I do watch read and listen to a lot to go with that and I would like to think my opinion is valid. If I'm honest myself i have seen 3 games so far this season and actually mcginty I've been quite happy with. But young to be honest I've not even noticed playing.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Interesting to reflect on what we were all thinking five months ago and what we might be thinking now!