Boycott

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Exactly; so don't make out missing a game to be something it is patently not.

Yorkieandy: you admit to having a problem with autism, but there is nothing in my response to the opening post that constitutes bullying for the life of me I can't see where you're coming from with that one.

There are a growing element who expect to make a strong statement ('boycott') yet not receive as strong riposte. Nobody has done more to bring the actualite of Gaming International and their involvement with Torquay United to the fore on this site than me and the importance of that realisation reaching as many of the supporters as possible is not better served than people making ridiculous statements regarding phoenix clubs and boycotts.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win.

Easy to "boycott" when we're doing shit.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Agree. You pay your money you have your say.
I dont make many home games but the game against hartelpool I paid for my dad , brother and niece to attend. I buy a jacket every year ? I attend a few home games and 6 or 7 away games. If people can't afford , or have more important things to do fair enough. Also fair enough if just feel a pissed off. But a boycott won't do much good. It would take us off the map even more.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

What exactly have you 'brought to the fore' that has changed anything? The last time i looked the club were still going down the sh*tter and run by property developers. What has changed? How have your actions improved the situation at the club?

Also how about trying to understand why a person has decided to call it a day and maybe try to encourage them back into the fold with support and cajoling instead of abruptness, dismissiveness and arrogance? How is that going to help knit the fanbase together? If anything it pushes individuals further away as they gradually grow to resent and dislike some of the very fans that they used to sit / stand side by side with in unison at the footy.

The reason i want a phoenix club is because i believe it will be better for the fans in the long run. I'm not on some one man crusade to turn people to this idea but more simply that i want the best for fans and i think this is the best because, despite all the things you've brought to the fore, the football club won't exist in 10 years time whether you believe it or not. I'm thinking of the fans just like you are in my own unique way but get vilified for it.

As i've said before, my experiences with TUFC and the fans have given me some superb material that i can include in my book that will be on sale at the launch in June at the National Autism Show at the Birmingham NEC and both the club and a significant number of it's fans don't emerge in a favourable light at all to put it lightly. Some do and are mentioned specially in the book as i acknowledge the contributions and support these special fans afforded me during my time following the Gulls up and down the land but for the most part the ignorance and hostility of Torquay fans shines through like a beacon.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I understand the sentiment behind the notion of boycotting, or choosing not to go, or whatever you want to call it. I also, completely understand the feeling of not wanting to deliver any of one’s hard earned money into the clutches of Clarke Osborne. He must sit in his ivory tower, in Bristol or whenever it is, pissing himself with laughter, knowing he can do exactly what he wants, plotting the demise of our football club, using gate money to fund his non-existent stadium plans, if he so wishes, and yet 1500 still turn up and fill Facebook with complaints about the stewards, rather than the malevolent forces that run our football club.

It’s a bit like the Tory government letting people blame everything on the poor and immigrants whilst the rich take their tax cuts. Let’s blame our seasonal woes on stewards while Clarke Osborne is trying to make his money on the back of our football club.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Teigngull wrote: 12 Nov 2017, 21:08 Good god, I've been registered on this forum for less than half a day, and I'm already a 'prima Donna' ......
Just out of interest why did you register? Surely it wasn't just to start a thread with the provocative title of 'Boycott' so that you could tell us you weren't going anymore. I've never started a thread on here, but have been happy to post what I think when others have started threads. Most people register and test the water before they jump in. I find it strange that you register on a Football Club supporters website merely to tell other supporters you aren't going to attend. Now, I have more than once in the past commented on a match day thread that I was not there and said why, but to register on a forum just to start a thread to announce to everybody who doesn't know you that you won't be attending is just bloody weird! :-/
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

DevonYellow wrote: 12 Nov 2017, 22:33 If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win.

Easy to "boycott" when we're doing shit.
Both myself and Teigngull have made it clear that boycotting or non attendance shall we say isn't or never has been about team performance. It's about finally waking up the fact the club is dying and we're sick to the back teeth of being treated like imbeciles by the football club.

Please read things through properly before making irrelevant comments assuming your comments were aimed at the OP. If not then your post has some merit.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

merse btpir wrote: 12 Nov 2017, 22:32 Exactly; so don't make out missing a game to be something it is patently not.

Yorkieandy: you admit to having a problem with autism, but there is nothing in my response to the opening post that constitutes bullying for the life of me I can't see where you're coming from with that one.

There are a growing element who expect to make a strong statement ('boycott') yet not receive as strong riposte. Nobody has done more to bring the actualite of Gaming International and their involvement with Torquay United to the fore on this site than me and the importance of that realisation reaching as many of the supporters as possible is not better served than people making ridiculous statements regarding phoenix clubs and boycotts.
Now i'm aware of it, i don't have a 'problem' with autism. Others however do.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Yorkieandy wrote: 12 Nov 2017, 22:49What exactly have you 'brought to the fore' that has changed anything?
If the truth about GI and their past record had not been brought to the fore in the manner that it has both on BTPIR and this forum, the freehold of Plainmoor would almost certainly already be in their hands handed over by unsuspecting or otherwise local politicians deliberately deceived by both the local media and general laziness in really researching the name of Gaming International.

That is not to avoid acknowledging that they do legitimately own Torquay United, are legitimate tenants of Plainmoor and do provide the capital by which the club functions.

Boycotting it will serve nothing but to further reduce the income which they use to (partly) fund that enterprise and everyone needs to wake up to the FACT that income does not equate to anywhere near sufficient to fund the project.

I'm not a fool who fails to recognise that they see this as a slow burn objective to achieve their aims; but I am also not a fool that thinks that by 'boycotting' home games those who might do so will do any other than exacerbate the situation.

There is always the hope that GI will dispose of Torquay United as a capital venture to an incoming owner when it is shown that the prospect of acquiring the freehold and realising a considerable profit on the venture through development is gone and they can cut/replenish their losses on the venture as far as they must surely be at this moment in time.

But be careful what you wish for because the end game could be very much worse than that of the present; very much worse!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I’ll be honest here.

I just don’t think that Geoff is the answer. He’s getting in a bit, and cricket was more his thing.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

stefano wrote: 12 Nov 2017, 23:11 Just out of interest why did you register? Surely it wasn't just to start a thread with the provocative title of 'Boycott' so that you could tell us you weren't going anymore. I've never started a thread on here, but have been happy to post what I think when others have started threads. Most people register and test the water before they jump in. I find it strange that you register on a Football Club supporters website merely to tell other supporters you aren't going to attend. Now, I have more than once in the past commented on a match day thread that I was not there and said why, but to register on a forum just to start a thread to announce to everybody who doesn't know you that you won't be attending is just bloody weird! :-/
I thought this thread was about Lord Geoffrey, one of Yorkshire's finest cricketers..... what's that doing on TorquayFans.Com I asked myself :}

Anyway, good points there Stefano - although my first ever post was saying that Michael Poke was signing for us - and didn't I get slated for that!! :rofl:
anyway, he did join so everyone who gave me a hard time could do one. :@
maybe it would have been better for teigngull to say he "wasn't or didn't go" on the match day thread, but as members we are allowed to start threads and make post from the moment we join...... freedom of speech and all that....
but boycotting wont make any difference to that very nice man Mr Osborne and GI. his agenda will continue regardless.

what I would say is though is that are us exiled gulls classed as boycotters seeing as we don't go to plainmoor that often?
or are we classed as lucky?
however, we do attend the away games as often as possible - so are we half boycotters??
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

When I first saw the thread title I assumed it was a call to organise a mass boycott (the actual meaning of the term). Instead it was an individual saying why he wasn't attending anymore (apparently he would rather see Buckland lose at home rather than Torquay).
Given the misleading title he shouldn't be surprised if he is criticised for it.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I'm not at all sure where I should put this post, but it might as well go on here as it's about attendances! Very interesting fact in today's 'Times' footie supplement about comparitive attendances in the National League North and South. In theory both divisions are level in standard of football but the NL North attracts much larger attendances. In the NL North ten teams have an average attendance of over 1000 this season (Stockport County top with an average of 3,157), while in the NL South there are zero teams with an average of 1000 (Dartford are top with an average of 908). Without wishing to appear defeatist, one has to be realistic and think about TUFC's very likely sojourn in the NL South next season. I wonder how these lower attendances will impact on the club's finances next season if we do go down? Perhaps we should apply to join the NL North instead??!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If we do go down I'm not sure attendances would be much lower (in the unlikely event that we were to be top of the league that is). Personally I think that it would be such a novelty if we were to start winning games that the hardcore support would probably stay with us.

Mind you the way we are going we would end up in the bottom half of NL South.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Yorkieandy wrote: 12 Nov 2017, 23:12 Both myself and Teigngull have made it clear that boycotting or non attendance shall we say isn't or never has been about team performance. It's about finally waking up the fact the club is dying and we're sick to the back teeth of being treated like imbeciles by the football club.

Please read things through properly before making irrelevant comments assuming your comments were aimed at the OP. If not then your post has some merit.
I bet my bottom dollar we wouldn't be seeing thread's entitled "boycott" if we were knocking on the door of the playoffs.