Striker

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Striker

Post by Dazza »

I don't understand how successive managers seem to shrug off the obvious. We are in deep trouble because none of them seems to regard this as their priority. Against Hartlepool it stood out a mile and a half. The game was there for the taking but we didn't score, couldn't score, lost the game and these managers like those before sign something, anything else - a full back. Not only a full back but a full back on loan taking up yet another loan slot. Strikers are like gold dust our General Manager commented last year. So when it comes to the close season we trial two dismiss one (as he may hard to manage and now plays for Guiseley ?) and sign one but then he's out of the team and away in weeks.

Further relegation stares us in the face. But no - we will limp on with excuse after excuse until we go down. Playing well on occasions but not scoring and worse still not looking like scoring. Why in hells name are we digging ourselves into this man made pit we will take years to get out of. Please please someone do something about it...
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

The whole Fondop saga made me wonder how hard we really looked at levels below.

He was quite below the radar, but once you looked a little deeper into his history he had good scoring records and has shown for Guiseley that he can handle this level.

So, his attitude may not have been right but he’s not the only person who’s scored 15-odd goals at the level below. I’m sure if homework had been done correctly we could have unearthed someone similarly effective.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The man made pit was dug, the club chucked itself and sealed the pit a few years ago, the ship has long since sailed into the night.

As for our current need for a striker, how do you know Ower's has shrugged his shoulders, or not identified the urgent need for a goalscorer , maybe it's a case of players being available that offer no more than what the club already has, so what would be the point, maybe he's offered players a chance to come down the club and been turned down, who knows, I don't, not going to presume.

As for signing a defender. Maybe the player signed will offer more in both a defensive and, an attacking sense, than the players already at the club. Hopefully this will lead to less goals conceded, more scoring opportunities created, then in turn, more points gained, again who knows, we'll soon find out come Saturday.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

'Current need' Forever? Apart from Blissett we haven't had a striker at this club since Bowman. Forget your secret defensive strategy. Where do you actually think the goals will come from to keep us up. !
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Agree dazza. Means naff all if you get it all right but can't finish it off and stick it in the back of the onion bag. Easier said than done though getting them. Could do with a tim sills at this moment in time. Composed striker he was
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Dazza wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 20:10 'Current need' Forever? Apart from Blissett we haven't had a striker at this club since Bowman. Forget your secret defensive strategy. Where do you actually think the goals will come from to keep us up. !
*cough* Brett Williams *cough*. Of course he had to deal with the incredible man management skills of Nicho.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Yes WIlliams could score. Could he lead the line? - no nowhere near it.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

forevertufc wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 19:52As for our current need for a striker, how do you know Ower's has shrugged his shoulders, or not identified the urgent need for a goalscorer , maybe it's a case of players being available that offer no more than what the club already has, so what would be the point, maybe he's offered players a chance to come down the club and been turned down, who knows, I don't, not going to presume.
That's more than likely in my view. As for Fondop; I was talking to one of his former managers who I met at a game about a month ago and brought the subject up; 'not all that' was the verdict 'and certainly not up to National League standard'.

It's easy for us to pluck names out of the air and assume they are the answer when in reality it is managers who work with players day in day out who really know the answers. I think the signing of Barnum-Bobb will turn out to be a good one and certainly understand why he has been signed. In my opinion he's a much higher quality footballer than Higgs for one and I'm sure it will be his place in the side that will be taken. Also we have to bare in mind that all together at least three of the current loanees will return to their clubs all together and the manager has to 'manage' that situation too.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Dazza wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 21:05 Yes WIlliams could score. Could he lead the line? - no nowhere near it.
Just a minute ago your compliant was, the club doesn't have a goalscorer, when it's pointed out to you we had one last season, now well he couldn't lead the line. We've haven't had such a player at the since Rene Howe.

Do us a favour, please tell us exactly what it is you want, and who it is your trying to blame for what, I'm confused.

By the way, it is 'current need' because anything would be in the past tense, otherwise prior to the current manager being at the club.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

A goalscorer doesn't necessarily need to 'lead the line'; what if within the playing system there isn't a line to lead or what if the leader of 'the line' isn't the primary goalscorer?

Jamie Reid has a well used technique of checking back on the edge of the box and shooting on the turn ~ witness his goal at Ebbsfleet after another earlier attempt just before and subsequent efforts in the same vein against Hartlepool ~ that is patently not 'leading the line'. JP Pittman will play up front and score a few but he is no 'leader of the line'

I think the more valid outcome would be a system that gets players into scoring positions whether they be wing-backs, 'strikers' or someone playing in the 'number ten' role.........that is for the management to devise and fine tune. It might come from within the squad as it stands or it might not; but simply signing someone just for the sake of it does not automatically solve the problem.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agree with much of what's said in the above post. Not relevant to TUFC I know, but a classic example in my opinion of a player who led the line with out being the primary goalscorer was Brian Deane, a premier league player for those who don't know through out the 1990's with Sheffield and Leeds United, that did so much a donkey work allowing others at both clubs to score so many goals.

There's no point talking about last season, the summer, 1-2-3-4-5 seasons ago and which managers and what they did, or didn't do. We can only talk about the situation that presents itself now.

Gary Owers can only play the hand he's been dealt, just like every previous manager the club has had. If as I suspect it's a case of either the right player isn't available, or won't agree to sign for the club, then Owers can't sign that goalscorer we all crave, so has no other choice but either go with what he's got, or try and find those goals from elsewhere whilst maintaining the balance between attack and defence.

Don't much about Barnum-Bobb, but if he's an attacking full back, that offers a little bit more in terms quality going forward and in defensive areas, then he just might be the answer in heling the team retain possession and create more and better chances, but, as said in previous posts I don't know if is going to be the case, we'll soon have the answer.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

If Nicholson had kept Williams and Keating together he may have been still in a job. We do need a striker that can do both hold the ball but also play facing the opposition been told Tiverton have a striker who's scoring for fun.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

SenorDingDong wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 20:48 *cough* Brett Williams *cough*. Of course he had to deal with the incredible man management skills of Nicho.
Do you mean the same Brett Williams who is now spending much of his time on the bench at Bromley? The same Brett Williams who picked up his fifth booking of the season last Saturday and will now be suspended? He decided to turn up and play against us, but apart from that he has scored only twice, and one of those was the sixth goal against someone when he was brought on as a late sub. His time at Bromley is following exactly the same pattern as when he was here. It's a dead cert he won't be at Bromley next season and he will drift on to another club where he will fail to realise his potential. I reckon he's a nightmare player for any manager !
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

arcadia wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 23:18 If Nicholson had kept Williams and Keating together he may have been still in a job. We do need a striker that can do both hold the ball but also play facing the opposition been told Tiverton have a striker who's scoring for fun.
I am not so sure. Keating (for all his work rate) is still to young and raw to lead the line and I have to agree with others on Williams (who I happened to have liked) in that his does not fulfil his full potential and is now just a national league 'Journeyman'.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Problem is here, we're looking for the 'Kiefer Moore' type striker, and that's one thing Harrop is right, especially at our level, they don't grow on tree's.

You have find at this stage of the season who's available, willing to sign, and with in your budget. You can't just loan one in either, both the parent club and player have to agree, as I'm sure we all know.

The point I am making down this thread is, the club know, Ower's knows there is a need for a goal scorer, fixing the problem isn't that easy.