Striker

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

It's a known unknown , not a known known or a unknown Known or indeed a unknown unknown
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

MellowYellow wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 23:35 I am not so sure. Keating (for all his work rate) is still to young and raw to lead the line and I have to agree with others on Williams (who I happened to have liked) in that his does not fulfil his full potential and is now just a national league 'Journeyman'.
I am not saying they were gods gift to Torquay United but they complimented each other and were scoring goals, if you've got that you stop letting goals in as confidence grows. Keating has lost confidence or he's trying to hard and needs a talking to about this.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Brett Williams has always had an attitude problem since he was a kid so it's no surprise to me that he's never settled anywhere. He's close friends with my eldest son and also son-in-law and his battles with Nicholson were always based on workrate, attitude and disciplinary record. I see he got sent off yet again at the weekend. His scoring has never been the issue, it's not how he fits into a system but how willing he is to fit into that system.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

The club is letting its supporters down. Two strikers in the club says it all. We fully deserve to be exactly where we are. You can talk the game time after time. If you can't finish you get relegated.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

"Two strikers"? Well on paper there's: Pittman, Keating, Reid, Murphy, McQuoid. Ok Pittman's injured, Keating isn't, in my opinion, a striker, Murphy and McQuoid who have disappointed and Reid who can score but not regularly.
No wonder Owers today has highlighted the need for a goalscorer. He has two strikers on trial.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Only Keating and Murphy are genuine strikers. Only Reid has any pace. Most of these would be late substitute wingers at any other club. The fact is if we played them all they would all be that half a second too slow to get on the end of anything.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

At least we have the encouragement and optimism that we have funds to get a striker in, presumably helped by gray leaving. It's also good to hear owers is not signing the first one to show interest
Lucy
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Dazza wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 20:10 'Current need' Forever? Apart from Blissett we haven't had a striker at this club since Bowman. Forget your secret defensive strategy. Where do you actually think the goals will come from to keep us up. !
Bowman was on the verge of re-signing this summer and I expect was one of the reasons Williams was not retained. Once that fell through it became clear there was no real plan B for a striker.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Another one who buys into the excuses line. Fact is successive managers chat out a whole line of 'well it's difficult' They all get paid to confront difficulties not dodge round them - the current two well paid. It's the reason we don't currently stand a chance of staying in this league. It's been a problem for years - - confront it and stop giving excuses.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The reason we can't sign a decent striker is plain and simple finance. Even average strikers cost a lot more than decent players in other positions. Bang in a few goals and the price gets even higher. Lafayette was on our radar a while ago but £1700/week was too much for us.

We'd want a whole forward line for that kind of money.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Dazza wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 10:20 Another one who buys into the excuses line. Fact is successive managers chat out a whole line of 'well it's difficult' They all get paid to confront difficulties not dodge round them - the current two well paid. It's the reason we don't currently stand a chance of staying in this league. It's been a problem for years - - confront it and stop giving excuses.
I assume this was a response to my post about Bowman. I wasn't aware I was making excuses. Good strikers are rare and your originated post highlighted Bowman as a proper striker. As I understand he was on the verge of signing and it was a last minute decision to stay where he was. I'm sure it was a very strong factor in the decision not to fight to retain Williams and had it have gone through I expect it would have vindicated that decision. However there was clearly a case of all eggs in one basket which was and is clearly a problem and failure.
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Southampton Gull wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 18:45 The reason we can't sign a decent striker is plain and simple finance. Even average strikers cost a lot more than decent players in other positions. Bang in a few goals and the price gets even higher. Lafayette was on our radar a while ago but £1700/week was too much for us.

We'd want a whole forward line for that kind of money.
With 24 goals in his last 118 appearances that is well overpriced!
Tust member 191
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Wrexham joint top of the league. We are 2nd from bottom. Both teams scored same amount of goals
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Yes, but they've played a game more than us.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

That's even worse then as there goals per game is less