Players who made you smile

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

And before he became an Exeter Legend - Fred Binney!
bringbackthecowshed
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tommy Mitchinson

Post by bringbackthecowshed »

John Smith an absolute powerhouse of a midfield player. took no prisoners, I cannot remember the exact game but Torquay were winning 2-1 and hanging on desperately for the win, time was up but the referee kept the game going. He went for a ball and ended up flat out on the pitch. lying on his back., not moving. The referee looked at his watch and Smithy and decided there was not time to bring to the trainer on and blew his whistle. With that, he jumped up and sprinted to the dressing room with a big grin on his face.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Great player, seemed to create time and space for himself with ease, great passer and very difficult to
dispossesss, a tough cookie. Oh for a midfield two now in our team like Smith and your favourite player
Cowshed , Tommy Mitchinson
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 20 Oct 2017, 11:27 Ok not a player but Cyril Knowles fills me with joy and good memories...one of the best was v Crewe in 1989 when after he got sent off and was halfway down tunnel we scored and he came onto the pitch to celebrate. Priceless

Part of it on my YouTube channel

One of my absolute favorite moments, we were losing 1-0 and came back to win. Crewe were top of the table and it was a Friday night game if I remember so it was a bit tasty. We were right behind the goal in the old mini stand, Cyril was to our left lurking in the tunnel, people were talking to him and he was so intense watchingthe game, literally kicking every ball. A great looping header from I think on loan Jason Gummer. The celebrations were mad and Cyril running on the pitch hyped it up. A great pic of the players and Cyril was on the back of the herald and I am sure I read somewhere that Cyril had that pic framed and hung on the wall in his office.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Ottery gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Ottery gull »

Without question, biggest smile came from watching Rodney Jack dancing across the snow on a January night when we lost 2-1 to Watford away in the FA Cup replay. They bullied us that night for the win but couldn't get close to Rodders. Happy days!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

chunkygull wrote: 20 Oct 2017, 23:01 One of my absolute favorite moments, we were losing 1-0 and came back to win. Crewe were top of the table and it was a Friday night game if I remember so it was a bit tasty. We were right behind the goal in the old mini stand, Cyril was to our left lurking in the tunnel, people were talking to him and he was so intense watchingthe game, literally kicking every ball. A great looping header from I think on loan Jason Gummer. The celebrations were mad and Cyril running on the pitch hyped it up. A great pic of the players and Cyril was on the back of the herald and I am sure I read somewhere that Cyril had that pic framed and hung on the wall in his office.
Chunky .... I'm not sure if it was same game that Carl airey scored his record 7th or 8th goal in a row...

If it was , it was a low shot and the goalie messed up a bit and it trickled in the net. Again might be wrong game or even wrong season...??

I was in that mini stand this game v Crewe chunky , the smell of cigar smoke , with coffee fumes is in my mind. Do you remember that big gingerish bloke who always used to shout out a lot ?

Great memories of Cyril and that scene with him on pitch with players sums up just passion he has for our club and players. Makes me wonder just what could have been if we been promoted the season before which we simply just blew it.
Never ever forget when they announced before a game that Cyril had died , bless his soul
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Ahhhhh! John Smith.....
Tired Old Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Smith

Post by Tired Old Gull »

No player has ever made me laugh or smile as much as JEAN-PIERRE SIMB!! :lol:

When he scored his first goal at Plainmoor (v Rotherham?) and then ran along the touchline 'high-fiving' the fans - that made my day as I was one of the lucky ones who received his salute!!
And when he ran the length of the pitch to set-up Willo for a goal .... pure class and entertainment!
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 07:18 Chunky .... I'm not sure if it was same game that Carl airey scored his record 7th or 8th goal in a row...

If it was , it was a low shot and the goalie messed up a bit and it trickled in the net. Again might be wrong game or even wrong season...??

I was in that mini stand this game v Crewe chunky , the smell of cigar smoke , with coffee fumes is in my mind. Do you remember that big gingerish bloke who always used to shout out a lot ?

Great memories of Cyril and that scene with him on pitch with players sums up just passion he has for our club and players. Makes me wonder just what could have been if we been promoted the season before which we simply just blew it.
Never ever forget when they announced before a game that Cyril had died , bless his soul
Yeah, I remember being at the game where they announced at half time that Cyril had passed. I remember a little while before when he visited with Hartlepool and the reception he got was amazing. More than any other returning manager or player that I have seen. The away dugout was over by the popside then and they greeted Cyril like he was still ours. Was gutted when he left because his side was truly my first and I couldnt understand it at the time, we had just come within a whisker of promotion, then wembley and although a slow start we werent looking dodgy, it was this time of the season I think. I remember he stated he walked because he couldnt carry the team/club any further or something like that. Theres usually more to these things though. I remember he walked out once before but was back a few days later.

As for Airey I'm not sure it was that season, I think it was 89/90, I'm sure we were wearing all yellow and Dave Smith was manager.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).