Players who made you smile

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Donal Murphy and Dave Tomlin were exciting players to watch.
TUST number 080
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Lee Andrews - he did more than make me smile, he made me laugh again and again and again.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

What a delightful thread DB. For me, Kevin Hill was just so approachable, Jo Kuffour, he was great to see. I remember John Bond and Colin Bettany, titans of Plainmoor in their day. Jimmy Dunne and of course Robin Stubbs. Those players were a joy to watch and brought a smile either through their skill, effort, antics or in the case of Colin Bettany, sheer indestructibility.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Talent yes, but the ability to bring a smile was normally the province of a clown; this I must agree with Mr. Dutch: it has to be SIMB.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Danny Stevens . . . :nod: :rofl:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

I understand what you say Wivel. Maybe the thread should have been " Players you looked forward to seeing play" Although anyone who watched Southall Bondy Stubbs, Rioch etc and didn't have a smile on their face must be pretty hard to please.

I can remember my dad taking me to Plainmoor when I was about 6 years old and as we walked up from Castle Circus he told me to watch Colin Bettany as he had been kept in a cage all week and only fed on raw meat so he would be at his best for the match. When you are 6 years old and your dad tells you something like that you really do believe it!!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

I still do!
kerswellgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by kerswellgull »

Yes Trojan we know you miss little Danny
bringbackthecowshed
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tommy Mitchinson

Post by bringbackthecowshed »

Roy Davies back in the seventies he played a few games for Torquay, we got him from Reading , he was a winger with a curly head of hair. I was standing at the open end [babbacombe end] when a huge cry of laughter came from the pop side and there was Roy sprinting down the wing with the ball with a bobble hat on that he taken from a fan on the pop side. priceless. He livened up an otherwise dull game.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

bringbackthecowshed wrote: 19 Oct 2017, 10:53Roy Davies back in the seventies he played a few games for Torquay, we got him from Reading , he was a winger with a curly head of hair. I was standing at the open end [babbacombe end] when a huge cry of laughter came from the pop side and there was Roy sprinting down the wing with the ball with a bobble hat on that he taken from a fan on the pop side. priceless. He livened up an otherwise dull game.
That got him into so much trouble with Frank O'Farrell and there are so many tales I could tell of Roy but can't in public ~ let's just say he was a unique character!

In his late sixties he fronts a West London rock & roll band as vocalist; so that tells you of the sort of guy he is; one who believes life is for living and enjoying to the max!
Last edited by merse btpir on 19 Oct 2017, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

DB57 wrote: 18 Oct 2017, 19:13I can remember my dad taking me to Plainmoor when I was about 6 years old and as we walked up from Castle Circus he told me to watch Colin Bettany as he had been kept in a cage all week and only fed on raw meat so he would be at his best for the match.
Ah Colin Bettany; the guy who rolled up his short sleeves so as to make himself even tougher; but there was more to him than that. Even though he was not the tallest, he could play a bit as either a centre half or right back.....a very good player in fact!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Colin Bettany was universally known then - and perhaps now - as THE BEAST!!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

kerswellgull wrote: 18 Oct 2017, 23:08 Yes Trojan we know you miss little Danny
:red:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
RJ_Turner
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Danny Stevens

Post by RJ_Turner »

Danny Stevens
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Ok not a player but Cyril Knowles fills me with joy and good memories...one of the best was v Crewe in 1989 when after he got sent off and was halfway down tunnel we scored and he came onto the pitch to celebrate. Priceless

Part of it on my YouTube channel