List of Players who were rubbish with us, but have gone on to be good

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

exilegull wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 11:56

Eifion Williams- hat-trick on his debut then flattered to deceive but went on and had several good years at Hartlepool.
A little unfair on Williams I think. He scored 24 goals in 107 appearances for us, a rate of 0.22 goals per game.
At Hartlepool he scored 50 goals in 208 appearances, a very similar ratio of 0.24 goals per game.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I've never seen the Leeds/Torquay video before. Fantastic!
tufcjon
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by tufcjon »

merse btpir wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 06:45 Eastbourne included loan signing Ashley Barnes who mullered Hargreaves playing at centre back all night
Untrue.

Woods and Hodges were at centre back, Wroe and Hargreaves were centre midfield.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 763398.stm
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I saw Don Mills many times and he was class personified.
Wivel if you think Robin Stubbs was great, and you are dead right, you should have seen Sammy Collins. I think he still holds the Club scoring record for a season, over 40 goals, and he was our Jimmy Greaves because he was a scoring machine.
I am going way back now but does anyone remember Ted Calland, who was useless for us, then went to Exeter City and scored I think over 20 goals one season.Must have been late 1950's or early 1960's.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

No one has brought up the name Fred Binney, who played in the Football League for all three of Devon’s senior clubs

Offered a professional contract in 1966, Binney was a regular scorer for Torquay's Western League reserves but was kept out of the first team by the form of United’s legendary Robin Stubbs and only made a handful of senior outings.

He was loaned to Exeter City 1969 and immediately showed what talent he was by netting 11 times in 17 league games. Returning to Torquay, he still could not break into the side, and so the Grecians brought him for a fee of £4,000 in 1970. What a bargain it proved to be.

Binney scored 28 league goals for Exeter, making him the joint-top goal scorer for the season in the entire Football League.
The following season, Binney was voted the PFA Division Four Player of the Year as he scored another 25 times, making him one of Exeter City’s all time goal scoring legends

In 1974, Brian Clough signed Binney for Brighton & Hove Albion, for a fee of £25,000. Binney scored 23 league goals as Brighton narrowly missed out on promotion. In 1977, after 35 league goals in just 70 games and after helping Brighton to promotion in his final season, he moved to the United States, signing for St Louis Stars.

He returned to Devon and linked up with Plymouth Argyle on a free transfer. Binney netted 28 goals in 1978-79, which won him the club’s Player of the Year honour.

Can you think of a current squad player with that potential who cannot get into the Torquay team - how times have changed.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 15:27 A little unfair on Williams I think.
More like a little generous. Tragic when he was with us, and just as tragic when he left. I remember the Popside ironically chanting 'Willo, Willo' as he missed chance after chance for Hartlepool against us.
apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Gritton

Post by apgull »

Jeff wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 06:22 I don't think this is correct, as he was on loan with us when we were back in L2 if I recall correctly. I distinctly remember seeing him turn out for us away at Darlo- granted he was still awful but it wasn't in the conference days.

Although ironically, I'm pretty sure he was on loan at Eastbourne once upon a time, and played an absolute blinder for them one disgraceful midweek night when they tore us apart.
Worrying how bad my memory is of these things.

That must have been it. Tore us apart then came to us only to stink out the place.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

He wasn't rubbish for us, in fact he didn't even get a game, but I see that Shawn McCoulsky has just scored his third goal in consecutive games for Newport County while on loan from Bristol City. Great article today in The Times footie section about Billy Kee, who again wasn't rubbish for us but has gome on to be Accrington's top scorer this season. The article focuses on Billy's battle with depression, an illness which must affect more than a handful of players I should think. A brave and honest young man, still only 26 years old - why did we let him go?
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

If I remember rightly he was homesick and wanted to return back up north.