Jamie Reid (again, probably)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Jamie Reid (again, probably)

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

I’m on the train on the way home from the Aldershot defeat. I was the one in the second half who, frustrated by the umpteenth display of ineptitude by Jamie Reid shouted, “Come on Jamie. Prove to us that you’re not sh*t!” He appeared to glare at me immediately after my comment and I hoped he may be able to prove his footballing worth. Sad to say, his subsequent performance did nothing to suggest that he may be anything other than sh*t. Thoughts anyone?
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Nope he is just shit
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

What I find frustrating is that when he is attacking with the ball and the opponent is in front of him, he tries to play the ball through the player normally just kicking the ball straight to the players feet, on the odd occasion it goes through the player but then he makes a bad pass or poor shot! He is still young I know and sure he will come good eventually, probably playing against us though!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Looking forward to both Dowling and Lee returning to the team hopefully for lathrope and Reid?
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Worst player on the pitch today. Created nothing. Could not believe there were some around me applauding his efforts (sic) whilst shouting 'Reidy, Reidy'. He's a liability and should be got rid of forthwith.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I seem to remember that is what many said about Billy Bodin and look at him now!!
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

portugull wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 19:55 I seem to remember that is what many said about Billy Bodin and look at him now!!
:-D
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

So Bodin was good for us then?
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

No he wasn't but it just proves the point I've made several times on this forum that ex-Gulls players always seem to improve when they leave the club, and we certainly can't keep the ones who show promise. With the exception of Smith and MacDonald who grew in stature during Nicho's reign I can think of very few players whom the club has improved over the past few years. Gallifuoco was class for Dover last week and yet some on this forum labelled him a 'donkey' when he played for us last season. He is clearly a good player whose strengths were not developed properly at our club. Now he's being trailed by clubs higher up the leagues! Players at the moment have to leave the club in order to improve. My point is that the club has no structure in place to improve the playing staff - a reserve team would be a start!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Caldwellanddobson wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 21:03 So Bodin was good for us then?
You forget Bodin played well under Ling.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

arcadia wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 22:59 You forget Bodin played well under Ling.
No he didn't. He was shit for Torquay pretty much every week and the club got 2 years of nothing from him so let's get that straight for a kick off. He had the odd great game and i was at Crewe to see a 3-0 Gulls win and Bodin scored a class goal and was superb but overall we may as well have had 10 men.

I'm pretty sure Dave (Forever TUFC) commenting on here a few times about how he thought Bodin did have quality and could play at a higher level, perhaps with a team doing well, playing an attractive brand of attacking positive football, playing to his strengths and not relying on him and him alone. I thought Dave was clinically insane and i frequently said that Bodin would be lucky to get any more contracts in football full stop but Dave was absolutely spot on.

What Bodin needed was not to be the focal point in a persistently negative tactical side such as the one in which Ling frequently deployed but to be used as a loose cannon in a free flowing attack minded side alongside other players of a decent standard. Only then could we see the real Billy and what he could do and that's what is happening at Brizzle and fair play to the lad.

He's doing really well and proved me totally wrong but the fact is that Torquay chucked money away signing him and paying him for 2 years and he gave the club nothing. Bristol get the plaudits for identifying how to get the most out of him but Bodin has to take some personal responsibility for his abject failure at Torquay.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Anyway, this isn't about Bodin. It's about how shit the current crop of Torquay players are and i'd say what do people expect?

Every year that goes by where Torquay are in disarray and fending off relegation by the skin of their teeth, the more their reputation as a solid and attractive ex league club to go and play for takes a hit. The football club are no longer that much of a big deal to play for sadly, hence only being able to sign largely inconsistent, extremely limited ability players even for this level. That's the reality of it IMO.

Unless GI get some real readies out of their back pockets for quality players and replace Owers / Kuhl with a serious managerial name then the club are destined for more of the same because in this league and even below, there are some real progressive clubs to go and play for who can attract players with promise and talent over the likes of Torquay. GI won't do this so it's more bargain basement additions brought in by managers past and present who don't really know what they are doing or how to get the best out of dross.

Thanks to GI the club have a management duo on the cheap who have to somehow find title winning improvement with a bunch of players bought on the cheap ( mostly free) and this management duo have absolutely no experience of managing a big ex league club whilst most of the players have no experience of playing for a big ex league club.

Owers and Kuhl are working under the exact same conditions as Nico and with the same restrictions as Nico and are expected to do BETTER than Nico by the fanbase. They cannot work miracles and will not work miracles.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Yorkieandy wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 23:35Unless GI get some real readies out of their back pockets for quality players and replace Owers / Kuhl with a serious managerial name then the club are destined for more of the same because in this league and even below, there are some real progressive clubs to go and play for who can attract players with promise and talent over the likes of Torquay.
Thanks to GI the club have a management duo on the cheap......
Owers and Kuhl are working under the exact same conditions as Nico ......
What silly, mis-informed statements. This is an experienced (and in my view capable) management duo who know the game and know the business at this level. Take a look at their CVS and you'll see that.

So what in your opinion would constitute a 'serious management name'?

They are currently stuck with a dysfunctional ~ over reliant on loanees ~ squad. They have immediately sorted out organisation, team shape and upped fitness levels. That's as much as any reasonable person can ask for at his moment in time ad now we look for them to be able to kick on and draw some performances out of this motley bunch of mis-fits..it certainly won't be easy but they knew that when they came in.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

So they are experienced at managing at NL level then? Apologies. I must have got my facts wrong.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 00:18
So what in your opinion would constitute a 'serious management name'?
NICHO! :whistle: