Jamie Reid (again, probably)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Jamie Reid is not creative, he lacks vision, he bottles his chances when he has time to think. He is not an effective tackler, he roams around the pitch and does not defend properly.

He is one of the reasons we have not made any progress since changing our manager. However he gets game time because he is fast and has stamina ( probably very good in training)
Get rid ASAP and our results will improve!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

portugull wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 19:55 I seem to remember that is what many said about Billy Bodin and look at him now!!
Billy is banging in the goals now however he was a liability for Torquay. It’s today we need a performances from players in order to stay up, not in years to come.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Jamie Reid typified yesterday's team performance: they tried hard, ran around a lot and gave Aldershot a game but at the end of the day the squad is not good enough.
Murphy has been a huge disappointment while McQuoid had a shocker especially after he was booked in the first half, for the remainder of his time on the pitch he disappeared. No wonder both these players aren't wanted by their parent clubs.
Owers and Kuhl have a big,big job to turn this around with or without Jamie Reid et al.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yorkieandy wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 23:19
I'm pretty sure Dave (Forever TUFC) commenting on here a few times about how he thought Bodin did have quality and could play at a higher level, perhaps with a team doing well, playing an attractive brand of attacking positive football, playing to his strengths and not relying on him and him alone. I thought Dave was clinically insane and i frequently said that Bodin would be lucky to get any more contracts in football full stop but Dave was absolutely spot on.
Yep, I certainly did, also expressed the same opinion at the time on Bodin to other forum members I attended games with. Think the point that's often missed is, managers at lower league level don't have the resources to sign two players for every position that suit, fit in to the footballing philosophy, so some players at lower league level are often pressed into positions that don't particularly suit their strengths.

Also with young players the raw potential is often there, sometimes in can be a case of the player just needs a bit of extra time for all the aspects of their game ( physical, technical, mental ) to click into place, see Angus MacDonald for instance.

I wasn't surprised one bit he went on to be fairly successful higher up the food chain, think he was effected by both of the above, never played in a position that suited him at that time, and did need a bit of time to further develop, the fact we never saw the best out of him, was not his fault, had we retained our league status, I have no doubt Bodin would have been kept at the club and TUFC would have reaped some reward from the player, but hey, crying over split milk and all that.
Formerly known as forevertufc
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

kevgull wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 08:36 Billy is banging in the goals now however he was a liability for Torquay. It’s today we need a performances from players in order to stay up, not in years to come.
I agree with that; fighting relegation takes a certain type of player playing under a certain type of management and that's why I have more faith in this management than the previous but not much more faith in the players at the moment.

Using the two visits to Aldershot as a yard stick; we were set up all wrong for that first game under Nicholson ~ two flat lines of four behind a front two succumbing all over the pitch to a side set up in diamonds and triangles who passed us off the pitch ~ but yesterday set up with a depth in the formation that matched their's and thus competing on equal terms and maintaining equilibrium with a side that had previously played us off the park.

Yes, Reid is part of the problem that still needs to be solved but he is not alone. The defence still makes that singular error (except that they made it twice previously without being punished) that cost us the game. The front two lack enough pace to really trouble the opposition and the will to fight appeared to drain out of the side once they fell behind.

In a knock-out match one would expect a grandstand effort and throwing the kitchen sink at it to retrieve something ~ they only had to manage that for twelve minutes ~ but I didn't see it.

Yes; Reid probably does please in training. He's the sort of modern day player modern day coaches love, big, athletic, capable of accelerating through the gears as he runs with the ball; but his decision making is awful he exudes an air of indifference that annoys the fans ~ not that really is of any relevance when judging him from a coach's point of view ~ and there is very little end product to his game. I think that is precisely why he is on loan from Exeter. If Paul Tisdale thought he was useless he wouldn't be there; if he thought he was the finished article he would be. Thus he is on long term loan at a senior non league club and that is what we have a loan player who still needs developing ~ not the finished article by a long chalk. He is at Plainmoor to learn, sent there by his manager who feels he can learn more there than he can back at Exeter out of the first team.

I see the potential in him; many others get wound up by him but consider this: is he really producing any less than so called fans' favourite Luke Young? I don't think he is.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To bring this thread back on topic, about Jamie Reid. I do feel sorry for the lad, as fan opinion, I don't think he's the best footballer at this level, but gets a lot of unfair criticism, he's strong, has a bit of pace about him, and will take players on 1 v 1, if he had the technical ability to go with it, he'd be in Exeter's first team right now.

Jamie Reid is a workman like player, we play in the NLP, you need a number of battlers in your team at this level, I respect Jamie Reid, not because he's a brilliant footballer, but, because he goes out on to the pitch and gives you 100% for every minute he's out there, could do with a few more like that.
Formerly known as forevertufc
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I agree with forevertufc not for the first time. Reid is a very frustrating player but so was Bodin. But having said that he does have ability and eventually he will learn and produce. With some players it takes time with naturally gifted players it is inborn.Nobody taught George Best he was just a genius, not in life, but in football.
Reid is a work in progress but I think the best thing Gary Owers can do at the moment is to find a good sports psychologist because this squad believe they are going to lose so they do.
It is all in the head at the moment and it is not surprising.Criticism although well deserved will only make things worse.
bornagull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: matt elliot

Post by bornagull »

I would never have a go at one of our players during a game , don't think it helps anyone. But I must say Reid is one of the worst players ever to put on a United shirt, no pace, can't beat a man , no football brain and never gets stuck in basically clueless
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 08:51 Yep, I certainly did, also expressed the same opinion at the time on Bodin to other forum members I attended games with. Think the point that's often missed is, managers at lower league level don't have the resources to sign two players for every position that suit, fit in to the footballing philosophy, so some players at lower league level are often pressed into positions that don't particularly suit their strengths.

Also with young players the raw potential is often there, sometimes in can be a case of the player just needs a bit of extra time for all the aspects of their game ( physical, technical, mental ) to click into place, see Angus MacDonald for instance.

I wasn't surprised one bit he went on to be fairly successful higher up the food chain, think he was effected by both of the above, never played in a position that suited him at that time, and did need a bit of time to further develop, the fact we never saw the best out of him, was not his fault, had we retained our league status, I have no doubt Bodin would have been kept at the club and TUFC would have reaped some reward from the player, but hey, crying over split milk and all that.
When Billy Bodin was on loan (was it under Martin Ling?) he was a class player and scored some cracking goals. When we signed him, with help from an unnamed benefactor, he never quite produced the same form. However, I remember reading on here that he was suffering from a cruciate ligament injury and was playing on with the 'help' of cortisone injections. I don't know if that is true, or even if it is possible to play with a cruciate ligament injury, but it certainly wouldn't have helped his playing career. It's good to see he's doing well for Bristol Rvrs in Div 1. Good luck, Billy!
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

bornagull wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 14:28 I would never have a go at one of our players during a game , don't think it helps anyone. But I must say Reid is one of the worst players ever to put on a United shirt, no pace, can't beat a man , no football brain and never gets stuck in basically clueless
If you read what I wrote you will see that I challenged him, I didn’t “have a go at him”
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

"Prove to us your not shit" is practically the same as saying "your shit".
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Yorkieandy wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 23:19 No he didn't. He was shit for Torquay pretty much every week .............

:rofl: I was waiting for that
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Southampton Gull wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 16:23

:rofl: I was waiting for that

:lol:

Least i'm consistent. :rofl:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Yorkieandy wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 16:49
:lol:

Least i'm consistent. :rofl:
I think Ling got more out of him and the managers that we had did not have a clue how to play him as he progressed. You will love this Dave because Harrop got more out of him in the one game he took over as manager by playing him behind the central striker. Billy played there when he was younger and up top. Rovers manager has most probably just talked to him to get the best out of him but credit to Billy for overcoming the injury he had with us as he had a long time out of the game.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Harrop for Head Coach :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com