Jamie Reid (again, probably)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

madgull wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 23:07 I totally agree, he has that spark in him that teams long for, but - tellingly for the level he is at - he is incredibly frustrating to watch as he is a long way from the finished product. He reminds me of Theo Walcott; always seems to be in two minds about what he should do, he really needs to learn to just get the ball and say 'right, I'm gonna cut in and shoot' or 'I'm gonna beat him and cross'. We don't need him to be a miracle worker, just single-minded; look at players like Arjen Robben, you KNOW he is gonna cut inside and try to shoot or lay it off, he only really succeeds in a small number of attempts, but he gives the opposition a nightmare and pulls them out of position because he COMMITS to it.

I think he gets a lot of stick because he is in one of those positions that by nature are more likely to lose the ball; most positions can get away with playing the easy ball, but he will always stand out because he has to make the hard pass or the run. The right words in his ear and the right commitment to improving would get him a long way.
:goodpost:
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I almost feel bad reviving this thread because I’m sure Jamie Reid is a good character, however having watched him again tonight against Cardiff I’m convinced that as long as he remains in the starting lineup as a forward we will struggle to score goals.

Williams looked dangerous and with the captains armband tonight he looked hungrier than ever. However, Reid was nowhere near him because his positioning and movement off the ball is simply not good enough. Williams is a goal scorer but his output will potentially be restricted if he does not have a decent partner alongside him.

Some people say Reid always gives 100% but if you actually watch his movement, whilst he does run about, he’s all over the place. His team mates tonight were constantly telling him to get moving or shouting where to go. As a result he barely sees any of the ball and when he does I have to say that he does not seem to offer anything creative or dangerous in terms of attacking play.

Contrast this with Keating - another one who is rightly commended for his work rate, however his positioning is far superior. Watching Keating tonight he immediately got close to his strike partner and formed a synergy.

I really hope to see Williams alongside someone other than Reid this season, on tonight’s performance Keating deserves a shot - especially after such a calm and composed finish for our equaliser.

I hope that Mr Owers can see the same problem.

What is the consensus amongst the forum?
Last edited by Bristol_Gull on 20 Jul 2018, 22:06, edited 2 times in total.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 21:39 I almost feel bad reviving this thread because I’m sure Jamie Reid is a good character, however having watched him again tonight against Cardiff I’m convinced that as long as he remains in the starting lineup as a forward we will struggle to score goals.

Williams looked dangerous and with the captains armband tonight he looked hungrier than ever. However, Reid was nowhere near him because his positioning and movement off the ball is simply not good enough. Williams is a goal scorer but his output will potentially be restricted if he does not have a decent partner alongside him.

Some people say Reid always gives 100% but if you actually watch his movement, whilst he does run about he’s all over the place. His team mates tonight were constantly telling him to get moving or shouting where to go. As a result he barely sees any of the ball and when he does I have to say that he does not seem to offer anything creative or dangerous in terms of attacking play.

Contrast this with Keating - another one who is rightly commended for his work rate, however is positioning is far superior. Watching Keating tonight he immediately got close to his strike partner and formed a synergy.

I really hope to see Williams alongside someone other than Reid this season, on tonight’s performance Keating deserves a shot - especially after such a calm and composed finish for our equaliser.

I hope that Mr Owers can see the same problem.

What is the consensus amongst the forum?
We need a prolific striker that's the answer
Lucy
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Reid is poor at retaining the ball and delivering a consistent end product, always has been always will be.

He flatters to deceive by running around a lot, beating a man or two but only produces an end result 1 in 10 times. ( and I think that ratio is generous.)

He is NOT a striker and not a very good winger, Should only be played, at maximum, for the last 20 minutes of any game IF the previous players have run the opposition back line ragged to give Reid a chance against a slowing defence.

I agree with Bristol - if he is played as part of a strike force from the start of any game we will really struggle to score goals.

Is it not time to give Pittman a run in the side to actually see what he is capable of for more then 20 minutes every 10th game?!
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bristol_Gull »

lucy6lucy wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 22:01 We need a prolific striker that's the answer
I agree, however I also believe that Williams will be a prolific striker with the right partner for example someone who can get the ball to him in the right places, or a powerful forward to play off.

Until that happens though I feel Reid needs to be dropped from the side.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Christ - having a go at him when we havn't even played a proper game yet is pathetic.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bristol_Gull »

brucie wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 22:54 Christ - having a go at him when we havn't even played a proper game yet is pathetic.
Do you have a different evaluation of his ability Brucie or are you just being inflammatory? You could at least state a point of view rather than deem someone else’s perspective as ‘pathetic’!

Unlike some of the others Reid is not a new signing. it’s not the first time we’ve seen him. Unfortunately it seems that we repeatedly see the same pattern of performance, at least this has certainly been the case nearly every time I’ve seen him start for Torquay. Don’t get me wrong, I want him to succeed and cheer him on whole heartedly but my patience with his underperformance has worn out after successive seasons without goals.

The club must turn a corner this year and it’s goint to require an abundance of goals. Unfortunately I don’t think Mr Reid is the man to do so, he’s had plenty of chances to prove that he is but he hasn’t delivered.

I’ll gladly be proved wrong, but how much game time at this level would you be prepared to give him to do that?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Tend to agree with the sentiment in Brucie's post. Not sure why we're trying judge Jamie Reid on two pre-season friendlies one against a strong League 1 side who no doubt will be at the right of that division, another against Premier league opposition, Jamie Reid certainly got into Tuesday night's match more than last night, last season it would have been difficult for any player, of any ability to thrive in a squad full of 'look at me' 'it's all about me' ego's only to willing to blame everyone else but themselves for the shit storm going on, if we had 15 players last season prepared to apply themselves in the same manner as Jamie Reid however a limited footballer he may be, TUFC would still be in the NLP right now.

I prefer to judge a player on want he does, rather than doesn't. Jamie Reid has the physicality, has some genuine pace, never found wanting in terms of work rate, always on the move off the ball, a total nightmare for opposition defences, if he could improve the rest of game, he wouldn't be with us.

As a fan, do I think Jamie Reid has some value has a squad player, capable of a start in order rest another, or to come off the bench and have a run at tiring defences, yes, I do.

Tine to leave him alone in my view.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bristol_Gull »

To be clear the views I’ve put across are not based purely on this seasons friendlies alone, rather my observations of our lack of fire power over the past few seasons, however I will acknowledge my frustration seeing the same seemingly avoidable problems play out in pre-season.

I do want Jamie to progress and succeed, but this season we need to lead from the front and only time will tell if Reid will come up with the goals.

Again, I’d rather be proved wrong but I still fear otherwise.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You have rated the players and given Reid a far lower rating than anyone else when as stated he was playing against premiership opposition.

You have then seen fit to reopen another thread on the player and said he should be dropped when the season hasn't started yet.

I am sure like a number of other players he needs to step up and prove something this year. He was ill advised to make a gesture to the crowd last season after he scored which may have alienated him further but you can hardly blame him after the stick he gets.

So your borefest message seems to be just another person picking on him. Give the bloke a chance.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I quite agree. Footballers today are subject to much more scrutiny (much of it on-line) than 20-30 years ago and there's a fair chance that the likes of Jamie Reid look at the postings on this forum and others. It can't do much for the lad's self-confidence if he constantly gets negative feedback. All footballers get yelled at from the 'terraces' but that's always been part and parcel of the game. On-line postings generally stay where they are and can create a very negative impression - shouts of abuse at football grounds are over in seconds. Jamie Reid dserves every chance to succeed this season and I for one hope he really cracks it this time.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

brucie wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 11:31 You have rated the players and given Reid a far lower rating than anyone else when as stated he was playing against premiership opposition.

You have then seen fit to reopen another thread on the player and said he should be dropped when the season hasn't started yet.

I am sure like a number of other players he needs to step up and prove something this year. He was ill advised to make a gesture to the crowd last season after he scored which may have alienated him further but you can hardly blame him after the stick he gets.

So your borefest message seems to be just another person picking on him. Give the bloke a chance.
They were ALL playing against the same opposition actually.

He should be dropped in favour of the better players we have now signed. His body language already betrays his lack of confidence.

He had plenty to prove last year and the one before. But rarely came up to the mark.

He was a regular in the relegation side. How many chances should he have? Chances risk points. And points mean survival.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

brucie wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 11:31 You have rated the players and given Reid a far lower rating than anyone else when as stated he was playing against premiership opposition.

:goodpost:
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Jamie Reid's career is going down the pan and he needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

He has gone from a long term contract with Exeter City to NLS South in a very short space of time. It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't make the starting XI for the first match of the season. If he put in more effort I think supporters would appreciate it but he has been a passenger in most games I've seen over the last two seasons.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Brucie is right, the bullying and witch hunt of Reid is out of order and really quite ridiculous after matches against teams 4 and 5 divisions higher.