Should all contracted players terminate their contracts in order to save our club

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

notnow wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 19:29 To be fair you have a point, we do keep going but there is an old saying “you can’t flog a dead horse” and another for good measure “ you can’t get blood from a stone” keep the faith ? For how long? At what point do you “ throw in the towel”
Simple answer .... Never !
I know its complete shite at the moment but i was born in Torquay and this is my club for that good reason. If any of our current supporters were not born in Torquay or,i will concede a place not too far away , you are well within your rights to bugger off and support Man Utd or the club in your own birthplace.
I am not having a pop at anyone and god knows i would welcome anyone who has this club at heart. But the issue of fans just giving up on their club rankles me to f.ck.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

notnow wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 17:16 All our players should give the club the option to terminate their contracts so we can afford to build a new team who have a bit of talent and desire to win.

Players to keep
Gowling
Clark
That’s it
Personally I wouldn't keep Clark. He is going to spend most of his time on the treatment table.

Anyway if your employer went to you and said for the good of the company you must give up your pension rights, your entitlement to redundancy and severance pay and work to a zero hours contract would you just meekly accept that.

The players are employees of the club, they are not fans. All that matters to them is drawing their salary and looking for the next contract. Which is as it should be.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Football is cyclical and the game is littered with Clubs who are in total disarray and suddenly the team clicks, luck changes and their fortunes change for the better.
Gary Owers and Martin Kuhl now know after 6 games in charge just what an immense job they have on hand.
The return of Dowling and Lee could be crucial but we the fans have to stick with the team come hell or high water because that is what real fans do even when it is hurting real bad.
The best thing Gary Owers can do is to find from somewhere a Kieffer Moore striker who will get goals at this level. Goals breed confidence and our team have just got to work harder and believe in themselves which is very hard to do with one win this season.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

tufcyellowarmy wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 19:51 Simple answer .... Never !
I know its complete shite at the moment but i was born in Torquay and this is my club for that good reason. If any of our current supporters were not born in Torquay or,i will concede a place not too far away , you are well within your rights to bugger off and support Man Utd or the club in your own birthplace.
I am not having a pop at anyone and god knows i would welcome anyone who has this club at heart. But the issue of fans just giving up on their club rankles me to f.ck.
I’m just fed up paying for sirloin steak and getting a rump steak and just a I am about to tuck into it I realise it’s just a plastic, to sum up, it sounds good, it looks good but it tastes shite! Being a st holder I have already bought the same shite next week! If the FA Cup won’t raise their game.... nothing will! I ask myself, should I keep pretending that I am enjoying it by buying the same st next year making them believe they are good! When they ain’t as previously stated!
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 19:59

Personally I wouldn't keep Clark. He is going to spend most of his time on the treatment table.

Anyway if your employer went to you and said for the good of the company you must give up your pension rights, your entitlement to redundancy and severance pay and work to a zero hours contract would you just meekly accept that.

The players are employees of the club, they are not fans. All that matters to them is drawing their salary and looking for the next contract. Which is as it should be.
Well they are now all comfortably taking their salary and effectively not earning it and we are funding them! Happy with that? In any job I have had if I under perform I’m history.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

What a stupid and naïve title for a thread
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Mattpuma wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 19:22 Sorry. A local population who dont turn up?
1900 when you are bottom of the National League with one win all season says different.
Just because you gave up doesnt mean that everybody has.
Yes its been 5 years of stupendous crap but the point of supporting a team is not to give in when the going gets tough.
Your right Matt, for a non-league club who have won just one match in 15 games we are blessed to have to have the support we do. If by chance we do get relegated this season then the National League South clubs best be prepared as the Yellow Army following will still be there and if on the promotion trail, bigger than our national league attendance I would expect. Given that the average gate does not exceed 1,000 for any National League South club and goes down to as little as 230 for some clubs, I expect there will be more Gull supporters than home supporters in some away games.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 14 Oct 2017, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

It’s an opinion, is it ok to have one? You don’t have to read it?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

No but it isn't going to happen is it!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

I don't blame players ...not like we chucking money at them.... many reasons for failures and this current squad can't be blamed for years of failure.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

notnow wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 17:16 All our players should give the club the option to terminate their contracts so we can afford to build a new team who have a bit of talent and desire to win.

Players to keep
Gowling
Clark
That’s it

Why everyone keeps on about Young I don’t get it, he’s ok at best! some of the time at best!

That was the F A Cup ffs! Gutless incompetent talentless bag of garbage.
That is the last time I buy a season ticket, I just can’t do with the great escape again either. Enough is enough.
I guess you fell asleep during the game it was never as bad as you are suggesting.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

MellowYellow wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 21:17 Given that the average gate does not exceed 1,000 for any National League South club and goes down to as little as 230 for some clubs, I expect there will be more Gull supporters than home supporters in some away games.
I expect you are right, at least at the start of the season. But wait to see what happens when we lose on a regular basis to these teams with 230 supporters. The whole structure and mindset of the club is such that we would not last for more than one season in National League South. I have no idea what comes after that. Southern? Western? Devon & Exeter? The sad demise of a once great little football club that probably did punch above it's weight for too many years.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

All opinions are valuable. The thread title is " Should all contracted players terminate their contracts in order to save our club " The answer to that is no, they shouldn't, and if they did, would it save our club, no, I don't think it would.

We're still relatively early in the season, so what players could we bring to replace them all, the best players are, already contracted, and you can't play with 14 loan players in your match day squad.

There was always going to be a certain amount of the new manager having to go, by and large with what's already at the club.
Formerly known as forevertufc
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

There are too many loan players now to make managing that squad a practicality. They need to be reduced and players recruited from such as the League of Ireland market where contracts are just ending; although if ~ Rory Keating is anything to go by he's not fit for purpose this season is he!

Then there is 'the players still free agents' market. Unlikely I know at this stage of the season but they do exist and I was talking to the father of one last week who was released by a Championship club in the summer then spent pre-season trialling at a League 1 club but with a wife and three kids, a nice house and a mortgage; won't play for less than 5K a week and certainly won't relocate to the Westcountry!

Will he achieve his earnings bottom line in football? I doubt it; but it does show what an awful lot of latent talent there is out there not being utilised and it does show what (as ever) the management are up against.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Just to highlight that free agent players are still out there, Bromley signed Roger Johnson in time for the weekend. No doubt he would do a much better job at the back for us than our present incumbents.