Fa Cup 4th qualifying round Aldershot v Torquay 14/10/17

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

If the tactics are right we've a chance they played with a player behind the striker who dictated the play Nicholson could not see this and did nothing perhaps Garry Owers may pick up on any thing like this. I am going again. :keepie:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Strange that Gowling's form has 'dipped' since the transfer rumours.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

desperado wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 20:15Oh Christ, he's having a go at Gowling now, I dont know whether to laugh or cry
I said: "Think on this: TWO goals conceded last Saturday when the much vaunted Gowling declined to attempt to get his head to the ball"
So watch the two goals and tell me I am wrong about them then.
http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/mat ... eos/116863
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

merse btpir wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 22:07 I said: "Think on this: TWO goals conceded last Saturday when the much vaunted Gowling declined to attempt to get his head to the ball"
Yep your wrong. IMO
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Forget it they had an off day.

Saturday when they win you'll still moan. Think positive if we've got fit players no wind we can beat Aldershot.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

merse btpir wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 22:07 I said: "Think on this: TWO goals conceded last Saturday when the much vaunted Gowling declined to attempt to get his head to the ball"
While some on here (not all) are "ball watching" after Gowling fails to put in a headed challenge, I'm watching the player Gowling was marking head straight for the penaltly area while Gowling flounders ball watching. That is of equal concern. I do hope Owers/Kuhl and the gang have seen this and get down on it. :-D
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

And 'celebrate good times' by getting the old 'joanna' out presumably?! Very clever Trojan 67.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

Trojan 67 wrote: 13 Oct 2017, 08:22 While some on here (not all) are "ball watching" after Gowling fails to put in a headed challenge, I'm watching the player Gowling was marking head straight for the penaltly area while Gowling flounders ball watching. That is of equal concern. I do hope Owers/Kuhl and the gang have seen this and get down on it. :-D
This is true, watch the Goals and watch Gowling... it baffles me how there can even be someone questioning this... Gowling was poor!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I am not disputing that Gowling was one of several players at fault for the goals. I am saying that overall his
performances have been excellent and he has been a good signing , the number of goals conceded when
he has played back this up
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Yes but that wasn't the point of discussion was it; if you can't be analytical because you are swayed by irrelevant issues you fail to see the reasons why week after week the team is losing.

I never said Gowling needed replacing, I pointed out his deficiencies in those two appalling goals last week.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Merse, your own quote contained the use of the phrase "much vaunted" so you kind of opened up the defence of Gowling by desperado therefore you can hardly criticise his response.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Enough of the bickering and back to todays game.
Aldershot 2 -Gulls 1 .
But if we do get something out of this then dont be surprised if we put together an unbeaten run together.
I am still not convinced that GO and co are the holy grail we are looking for on what ive seen so far, but they nned a few more games before my mind is made up one way or another.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Southampton Gull wrote: 13 Oct 2017, 23:39Merse, your own quote contained the use of the phrase "much vaunted" so you kind of opened up the defence of Gowling by desperado therefore you can hardly criticise his response.
The rather hysterical and 'flouncy' "Oh Christ, he's having a go at Gowling now, I don't know whether to laugh or cry" is what drew my attention as if no-one can be identified as being at fault with something that goes wrong.

Gowling clearly was very poor in both of those goals conceded last week and I'm sure he would be the first to admit it. I agree he is a superior player to those who have preceded him in his position; a better footballer and retainer of the ball ~ something that the side has been crying out for over a prolonged period of time ~ but he is not infallible and neither is anyone else in that squad!

There are 635 more square yards of space on that huge Aldershot pitch than comparatively tiny Plainmoor on which the defence were so badly caught out last week ~ Aldershot: 117x75 yds set against Plainmoor's 110x74 so the sort of alarming gaps and spaces evident then will only be exasperated if they play in the same manner today and Aldershot certainly do play a brand of football that mamixises those wide open spaces as you and I both saw when we went there earlier in the season Dave!

On the other hand; can Owers and Kuhl get them to drop the ball into the spaces behind Aldershot's defence if they can turnover possession after they have played the ball out in their inimitable style?
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

3-0 Aldershot
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I think I had already pointed out Gowlings pathetic defending - he was also at fault when Dover hit the post.