Fa Cup 4th qualifying round Aldershot v Torquay 14/10/17

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

OFFICAL!

HISTORY MADE!

TRURO WIN!

Into the FA Cup First Round Proper,

Sorry Truro - no local derby - We are out - again!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

MellowYellow wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 17:05 OFFICAL!

HISTORY MADE!

TRURO WIN!

And good luck to them. A club on the up with limited resources, well done!
TUST MEMBER
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Neal wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 17:07 And good luck to them. A club on the up with limited resources, well done!
Agreed, any team with limited resources but have a winning mentality and a love for the game deserve everything they get.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

MellowYellow wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 17:05 OFFICAL!

HISTORY MADE!

TRURO WIN!

They'll could still get Plymouth or Exeter...
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

knightmaregull wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 16:50 Sadly I think rock bottom is still very much ahead of us
I think your spot on there
TUST MEMBER
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Just listened to GO's after match comments. I hope that I'm wrong but he doesn't sound as if he knows how to stop the rot.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Just got back. The team played well today our problem area is the last third and the wide players are not producing any quality crosses. Murphy is playing back to goal and is an easy target to mark. We need to be more direct and I hope Jordan Lee is back in the side next week as he is direct and has the pace to get behind the opposition. Dowling would improve the side as well then we need a centre forward.
McGinty Young Davis Doran and Higgins did well today. The side is improving.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I don't think the performance was as bad as some are saying and maybe are being guided by the result and being out of the Cup yet again before it has ever got started for us.....

That said, it wasn't that good either and the pitch looked a 'bit dead, tufty and long' after another game on it last night. The ball didn't 'fizz about' as it would on a really top notch condition surface of that sort of investment and that (I feel) contributed to the rather flat and slow motion atmosphere which left one mentally screaming 'this is an FA cup tie for goodness sake!'

With people vocally on his back, Reid isn't going to exude the confidence and decision making his role demands and once again Young shrunk so far from where he could do some damage when we went a goal down; he might as well not have been out there for the last ten minutes. That was when sleeves needed to be rolled up, the game taken to the home side and a real effort to salvage a replay made. But there was nothing; it was as if they were content to play out a single goal defeat.........no leaders, no inspiration, no pride in performance ~ and then they come over looking for applause! :|
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

gateman49 wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 18:25 Just listened to GO's after match comments. I hope that I'm wrong but he doesn't sound as if he knows how to stop the rot.
I agree with this entirely. He is right though when he says that playing ok is one thing but we need something more to start winning games. After six games in charge we have seen the retun of some key players from injury and we still cant get over the line.
The trouble is he has no idea what it is we need other than just to plug away at cutting out the mistakes.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

tufcyellowarmy wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 08:40 I agree with this entirely. He is right though when he says that playing ok is one thing but we need something more to start winning games. After six games in charge we have seen the retun of some key players from injury and we still cant get over the line.
The trouble is he has no idea what it is we need other than just to plug away at cutting out the mistakes.
I had thought that after a month we would see some sort of improvement, based on the fact that I had believed that it takes 21 days or so to learn new habits. However, a little googling this morning reveals that it can take up to 66 days for automatic behaviours to bed in (with some people taking up to 254 days for new habits to become second nature). So we could be looking at gone the end of this season before some of our squad 'get it'.

Of course, one could argue that surely paid professionals - committed athletes - should take less time than us plebs to pick up new ways of doing things?

I wonder whether, when considering taking the job, Mr Owers looked at TUFC and thought: under-performing 'big'/league two club; just how hard can it be?

I think his bubble must have been well and surely burst (if it hadn't already) by the fact that we are so poorly regarded that even agents of third-rate* footballers can't be arsed to ensure their charges turn up to try out for us.

* No disrespect intended, but we're not Man City, really, are we?
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Nicholson, Owers, Herrera, Hargreaves, O'Farrell - it probably doesn't matter because we're all playing along to Clarke Osborne's tune. The club is owned by a multi-million pound organisation, yet this pretty big club for the level we are at, is even worse off than it was under the David Phillips regime. GI have owned us for almost a year but all we have seen is decline on the field and a new kit and badge.

On the surface of it, the appointment of an experienced managerial team, should have seen some sort of positive impact. there are players in that squad who are better than the bottom of the National League, so we should be seeing some improvements or at least signs of it, and perhaps we are. The previous manager was poor, but if nothing changes with GI's own man in charge then I think some heat really needs to be turned back on Clarke Osborne.

Just what is the point of supporters, 'loyally' turning up each week when the club's own malevolent ownership appears to be conspiring against it? I just feel now, that when I go and hand over £15, I'm simply lining Clarke Osborne's pocket. Our football club is dead, succumbing to the parasites. It's like a zombie, masquerading as human, just sucking the life out of everyone remaining.

5 years ago, had we bumped into Clarke Osborne, we wouldn't have just handed him our money but that's what we do now.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

hector wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 10:37 Nicholson, Owers, Herrera, Hargreaves, O'Farrell - it probably doesn't matter because we're all playing along to Clarke Osborne's tune. The club is owned by a multi-million pound organisation, yet this pretty big club for the level we are at, is even worse off than it was under the David Phillips regime. GI have owned us for almost a year but all we have seen is decline on the field and a new kit and badge.

On the surface of it, the appointment of an experienced managerial team, should have seen some sort of positive impact. there are players in that squad who are better than the bottom of the National League, so we should be seeing some improvements or at least signs of it, and perhaps we are. The previous manager was poor, but if nothing changes with GI's own man in charge then I think some heat really needs to be turned back on Clarke Osborne.

Just what is the point of supporters, 'loyally' turning up each week when the club's own malevolent ownership appears to be conspiring against it? I just feel now, that when I go and hand over £15, I'm simply lining Clarke Osborne's pocket. Our football club is dead, succumbing to the parasites. It's like a zombie, masquerading as human, just sucking the life out of everyone remaining.

5 years ago, had we bumped into Clarke Osborne, we wouldn't have just handed him our money but that's what we do now.
:goodpost:

Many players have left this club when the fans thought they were sh*te, mmmmm new thread coming :)
TUST MEMBER
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Scott Rendell interview says it all about one goal being enough "did not think Torquay were ever going to hurt us"...
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Nick Potkins wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 10:50 Scott Rendell interview says it all about one goal being enough "did not think Torquay were ever going to hurt us"...
His interview is what I felt as well until, Young hit his free kick which the keeper saved at that time I thought we could get a draw as we were copping well at the back bar for one that hit a post.

The game was not as bad as people are suggesting most of us in the coach thought we did ok but you can see the wide players don't provide enough for the striker and midfield getting forward. There is no creative player in the middle Dowling could be the answer and Jordan Lee is a must as he will use his pace which our wide players do not use it enough.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

hector wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 10:37 Nicholson, Owers, Herrera, Hargreaves, O'Farrell - it probably doesn't matter because we're all playing along to Clarke Osborne's tune. The club is owned by a multi-million pound organisation, yet this pretty big club for the level we are at, is even worse off than it was under the David Phillips regime. GI have owned us for almost a year but all we have seen is decline on the field and a new kit and badge.

And there you have it in a nutshell (although I don't agree that the previous manager was poor, but I don't want to start that hornet's nest buzzing again !!). As YorkieAndy and Budegull posted on another thread, the club is rotten at the core. We have a chairman who admits to not knowing anything about football and having no interest in the game. I wonder how many times Clarke Osborne has attended matches this season? We were promised a Board of local directors. Silence. Who is actually making decisions at the club? Is it solely Geoff Harrop - only in post because he is related to Osborne? There is absolutely no communication with fans. We're moving into a new stadium next season (only nine months away) - remember? Another of Gaming International's 'Castles in the Sky'. In fact, about the only thing going for the club is the fantastic loyalty of the fan base.

As Hector posts, it doesn't matter who the manager is. Until the club is run professionally off the field, we will continue to struggle and under-achieve as a club. Owers and Kuhl are already getting a bit of 'stick' from some impatient fans. But let's look at some of the clubs they have had to face - Macclesfield top of the league (beat us 1 - 0 following a suicidal back pass), Dagenham & Redbridge (away), another team that will probably be in the play-offs at the end of the season, Dover, second in the league (and a very good side in my book) and Aldershot yesterday who will also be up with the leaders and who were able to bring on players like McClure and Okejie (?) who would be first on the team sheet for us. It's been a baptism of fire for Gary & Martin. I hope they are able to keep us in the National League as the previous manager did, but they must know, as we already know, what a mammoth task they've got ahead. There is time ...... and as Hector posts, there are players in the squad who are better tnan bottom of the National League. A priority must be to bring in at least one striker from somewhere because if we don't score goals, we ain't going to win matches ! There were rumours during the summer about Ryan Brunt possibly coming to Plainmoor but he eventually signed for Exeter. He isn't being included in City's squad, so surely it would help him to have regular football somewhere else? However, I don't know what his injury situation is - perhaps he has had a recurrence which is keeping him out of the squad.

But clubs do bounce back from tough times. Hereford, a good club very much like TUFC, shafted by owners (and allegedly there was some involvement there by Gaming International, or one of their subsidiary companies, as well) in the same league as Tiverton at present but making their way back up the football pyramid. Their fans have remained loyal and were rewarded with a great win at Eastleigh yesterday. Good luck to them. So there is some hope ....... but there isn't any light at the end of the tunnel at the moment.