FA Cup Qualifying - Fourth Round Draw

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

FA Cup Qualifying - Fourth Round Draw

Post by nickbrod »

Draw for the 4th Qualifying Round is on talkSport 2 on Monday.
2011 was the last time we won an FA Cup match! About time for a decent cup run - take our minds off the league!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

CI've been keeping an eye on the teams left, as I'm up near Northampton till 1pm that day and was sizing up who I'd want us to get (away from home) for me to be able to get to a game.

I've plumped for Oxford City as my preference, followed by Hemel Hempstead. Both teams we might be able to get the better of. St Albans and Brackley would also suit my travelling needs, but I fear both of those teams (flying high in their respective divisions) would turn us over
apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Gritton

Post by apgull »

I know it would be a fair old trek for the team but any Yorkshire teams left in, apart from York?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

It's a north-south draw i.e. two separate regional draws
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Jeff wrote: 29 Sep 2017, 18:40 CI've been keeping an eye on the teams left, as I'm up near Northampton till 1pm that day and was sizing up who I'd want us to get (away from home) for me to be able to get to a game.

I've plumped for Oxford City as my preference, followed by Hemel Hempstead. Both teams we might be able to get the better of. St Albans and Brackley would also suit my travelling needs, but I fear both of those teams (flying high in their respective divisions) would turn us over
Bognor Regis are still in .......... :whistle: But I see they've got a tough-ish draw away to Eastbourne tomorrow.
apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Gritton

Post by apgull »

merse btpir wrote: 29 Sep 2017, 20:48 It's a north-south draw i.e. two separate regional draws
Nuts. Thought that was scrapped once the "national" teams got involved.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Fourth qualifying round
Number of matches: 32
The 24 clubs from the National League, the fifth tier of English football, enter the FA Cup at this stage. They join the 40 winners from the previous round in a two sectioned ~ North /South draw
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

merse btpir wrote: 29 Sep 2017, 23:49 Fourth qualifying round
Number of matches: 32
The 24 clubs from the National League, the fifth tier of English football, enter the FA Cup at this stage. They join the 40 winners from the previous round in a two sectioned ~ North /South draw
And for those of you interested, the split is drawn in the Banbury/Brackley area.

Of course, in a move of true FA competence Banbury of the Southern Premier League are in the northern half, whilst Brackley - at the sharp end of the National League North - are in the Southern half........
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Matches are played over the weekend of October 14 - that long to wait for first win of the season?! Anniversary of the Battle of Hastings for those who remember their history lessons!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Jeff wrote: 30 Sep 2017, 07:04 And for those of you interested, the split is drawn in the Banbury/Brackley area. Of course, in a move of true FA competence Banbury of the Southern Premier League are in the northern half, whilst Brackley - at the sharp end of the National League North - are in the Southern half........

It's nothing to do with the National League, but all to do with the balance of entries; having the correct number of ties at each stage until you get down to the finalists..........you wouldn't want to end up with three finalists now would you!
:Oops:

As the cup progresses, the geographical 'conferences' reduce in number from over sixteen to the two we have now; the next stage (Round 1) goes fully national which in itself is quite new as that too used to be split north and south. All of the teams in the six qualifying rounds are drawn against each other on a regional basis. The FA does this to reduce travel costs for the smaller clubs in these preliminary stages so Banbury and Brackley being in the same draw would make an economic sense that them playing in southern and northern located cup programmes does not but for the necessity of having equal numbers in various leagues means an imposition on centrally located clubs.

Some clubs seemingly playing 'out of region' actually prefer that. Gloucester City for instance preferred National North as the travelling up and down the motorways was easier than across the country as they now have in the National South so they employed suitably located players to accommodate that. When their relocation to National League South occurred his summer, they had to completely re-think their squad logistics whilst ironically relocating themselves from Cheltenham further north to Evesham to play their home matches until such time as they can return home to the city of Gloucester.

The club had competed in the Conference North since 2009, having been promoted from the Southern League at the end of the 2008–09 season. It spent a record 70 years within the Southern League from 1939 until 2009 but had to completely re-think their logistics in order to accept promotion. to the Conference. Now they have been 'transferred' back south again.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

The first draw of The Emirates FA Cup was made at the beginning of July, with the 2017-18 competition kicking-off in the extra preliminary round in early August.

A total of 737 clubs have entered this season’s Cup, with 370 of those starting their campaign on Saturday 5th August when 185 extra preliminary round ties were played across the country......

Read more: http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/thr ... z4u93QgINd
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Good post merse and interesting with Gloucester. I always wondered why they were northern but I assume the m5 corridor which links up with the m6 m42 m1 and m62 in effect prob served them well. Rather go Yorkshire then kent say.
Can anyone answer this; do we pay our travel costs ? Or is it contributed from the home team? Wondered as when we had no coach if we had out costs met we didn't hire a coach ? Instead of lottery winner driving it.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

In the National League (as in all other leagues now) the travelling side have to pay their own costs; it the FA Cup they are drawn from the gate money before the rest is divided up between the two sides once the match officials have been paid too.

That means Haringey Borough ~ drawn at home to Bideford ~ might well end up out of pocket today unless they sell a lot of pasties to the travelling fans!

I think you'll find that in those times of austerity, Torquay United always managed to have a proper coach (and overnight if needed) for FA Cup ties yet amazingly when they played at Bognor in the trophy, travelled in the minibus on the day of the game which I thought at the time was a mistake by the club who could, and should have been claiming off the gate!

Anyway; they were still laughing at it and poking fun at our club when I went to Bognor last May.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

For clarity, I wasn't suggesting Banbury and Brackley should be in the same half of the draw, but the other way round (Banbury South, Brackley North) given that that would then match their regionalisation.

The distribution of clubs North and South does throw up some bizarre situations - I was living in Bishops Stortford when they found themselves exiled in the Conference North a few years back, which they were pretty unhappy with. Apparently the "north of England" starts about 15-20 miles outside the M25! They had to completely re-hash their squad as a lot of their players (who were of course part-time) couldn't commit to the travelling
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Jeff wrote: 30 Sep 2017, 10:14 For clarity, I wasn't suggesting Banbury and Brackley should be in the same half of the draw, but the other way round (Banbury South, Brackley North) given that that would then match their regionalisation.
I see your point but think that Banbury's placing in the draw is due to their advancement in the previous (regional) rounds therefore Brackley find themselves where they are too.....not 100% sure on that; but it's my suspicion.

I know George Boateng who took over as ( a pretty hopeless) manager at Bishops Stortford in the wake of their financial strife following that sojourn 'oop north' and he had to work within the constraints and wreckage that had been done to the club.

George is more 'agent' than club loyalist really and not to be trusted with management in my opinion; but then he's not that good an agent either.

Nice little set up at Woodside Park isn't it!