Owers yet to sign a contract.....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Gulliball wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 08:58you're going from thread to thread championing this, with no focus on the larger picture and where the danger lies. Is people agreeing with you on Nicholson really that important to you?
People agreeing with me has never been of importance; I thought that much would have been obvious.

You're correct; my view is that of being that the manner in which the manager's job has been gifted to those in the decision making role's favourite list of former players has been pathetic and the root cause of the club's prolonged failure ~ any fool can see that.

I certainly do have focus on the larger picture and it is a lot larger than giving control of playing matters to your favourite ex player ~ any fool should see that too, but unfortunately there have been a good number of fools who couldn't see it.

I think your accusation of 'dividing the fan base' is both wrong and missing the point. That there are differing views on the way forward has to be a good thing. In what way does blind acceptance of everything that has gone on and then acting as if nothing was wrong benefit the club? I just don't see that.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Gulliball wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 09:21 GI wanted their own man and didn't want to back Nicholson any longer with a budget, but didn't want to sack a popular manager. So they gave him the summer, let the 15 man squad lose 3 games and sacked him them. Which part of that differs from what you stated?
Very different from what I posted; I made it clear I felt they should have bitten the bullet and changed the management as soon as last season ended.

I feel there were more reasons for sacking Nicholson than merely losing three of his first four matches and failing to win even one of them but it is up to the club or Nicholson to enlighten us on that and obviously they aren't going to be forthcoming.

Of that '15 man squad' how any will be playing today? Ask yourself that and then query just why that is and if you come up with injuries then ask yourself why so many injuries? Was the pre-season programme appropriate, the training and conditioning programmes as good as they could have been.

As supporters and commentators on social media; we are entitled to ask those questions without being accused of putting the future of the club in jeopardy. It's only what any discerning owner or director should be asking themselves anyway.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Yet more Nicholson automcy. We seem to have moved a long way from the thread topic.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

You know as well as I do that Nicholson was doing that job with both hands tied behind his back. What's done is done, I'm more than happy to move on and accept it but you seem only too willing to castigate Nicholson at every opportunity which is hardly fair when the incoming duo have already had more support than Nicholson did the whole length of his tenure under GI. If you're angry he was appointed in the first place that's another argument with others to blame, certainly not Nicholson.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Dazza wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 10:20 Yet more Nicholson automcy. We seem to have moved a long way from the thread topic.
New manager to old manager? Hardly a long way............
Dave

Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

In reply to Merse:

They are genuine injuries now then? Last week you were expecting them all to get up and walk again now that 'Nanny Nicholson' was replaced with a new manager. Since then no-one has returned and two more players have new injuries, one of which (Dowling) was signed since Nicholson departed. You could say it's an example of you using any topic to make a dig at Nicholson, even if they end up being repetitive and contradictory.

You'll have to forgive me, but my train is nearly in Inverness, en route to a day out in the highlands and Ross County vs Hibs later this afternoon. I'll pick this up again tomorrow in more detail if the thread is still going.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

So when Nicholson was sacked and he said the new manager was inheriting a squad capable of the playoffs he must have been lying? He wasn't bemoaning the budget then. Some of his fans are as deluded as he is!

He really can no wrong in their eyes, his stock is amazingly high for a manager whose teams were, and are, perennial strugglers!

Like Merse says if he really is as good as some think he'll cruise his next job. He's a top bloke so I hope he does well but this "he can do no wrong...poor him" routine is a little tiresome.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

No, what is tiresome is the continued berating of someone who was trying to do his job against a backdrop of continued threats and interference, not help.

It isn't a case of him doing no wrong, it's a case of stating facts in the face of continued unfair criticism. If anyone doubts that his budget was still poor for a full time club then so be it, no skin off my nose what they choose to believe.
Dave

Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Irrespective of what budget Nicholson was given it doesn't excuse his poor tactics and the fitness levels of the squad.

He was a very poor manager and will be lucky to get another job.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

He fulfilled what was requested of him 2 seasons running on a meagre budget. Fitness levels of players is hardly something you're qualified to comment on and pass off as fact and classing him as a poor manager is failing to recognise the qualities he undoubtedly possesses. He managed us at the worst period of our modern history, there are many reasons for that just as there are many reasons why it's unfair to label him the way some have done. Nobody can honestly say how good or bad a manager he is based on his time here, only time will tell us the answer to that one.
Dave

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Owers was asked in his pre match interview how the fitness was of his new players bearing in mind they hadn't had much football. He replied that it was no worse than the players that were already here!

Clearly there would appear to be an issue with the players fitness bearing in mind that opposition managers have commented on it as well this season.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Southampton Gull wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 14:54 He fulfilled what was requested of him 2 seasons running on a meagre budget. Fitness levels of players is hardly something you're qualified to comment on and pass off as fact and classing him as a poor manager is failing to recognise the qualities he undoubtedly possesses. He managed us at the worst period of our modern history, there are many reasons for that just as there are many reasons why it's unfair to label him the way some have done. Nobody can honestly say how good or bad a manager he is based on his time here, only time will tell us the answer to that one.
Agree 100 percent with Southampton on this. As for fitness levels potentially being responsible for todays loss . Probably not !
The new management duo need time but need a win asap to stop the rot to keep the wolves at bay.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

tufcyellowarmy wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 19:27As for fitness levels potentially being responsible for todays loss . Probably not !
Well listen to Gowling and what he has to say:

Indeed; listen to the manager and his opinion on contracted players needing to 'earn their money':

The legacy of the old regime is a shambles!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 14:54 ... He managed us at the worst period of our modern history, there are many reasons for that just as there are many reasons why it's unfair to label him the way some have done. Nobody can honestly say how good or bad a manager he is based on his time here, only time will tell us the answer to that one.
Its a fair point. It the same as the players that were not given contracts, Williams (the goalscorer) etc. Time does give us answers. Take Gallifuoco for example: not good enough for the might of Torquay in their third season of relegation battles (although Anderson is). So he heads off to a little part-time club to lead their defensive line who have produced the second best defensive record in the league to-date. I know he was not appreciated here but I am sure the fans of Dover do. He must now be rubbing his hands that we did not offer him a contract as he sits with a (part-time) team third in this goddam league.

Time will tell how this new management team will do. They are on their honeymoon period presently so 1 point out of 6 appears to be accepted. Why, I don't know. But in time will 1 point out of 18 and knocked out in the 1st round of FA cup be acceptable or will the focus of venom be on the two new guys. Or will the truth be out by then, on the Nicholson saga and following the clubs failure to find an appropriate manager, the rushed appointment - as panic set in - of Ower's from a mediocre team in the Southern league,

Time will tell!
Last edited by MellowYellow on 23 Sep 2017, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 20:15
Indeed; listen to the manager and his opinion on contracted players needing to 'earn their money':
"the onus is on the players" Blimely! two games in and Ower's already washing his hands of the shambles.