Owers yet to sign a contract.....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Owers yet to sign a contract.....

Post by Richinns »

From a BBC news story today
"Former Bath boss Owers was appointed by Torquay on 13 September and is yet to sign a contract, although he told BBC Sport he has agreed a deal with the club."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41307365

Well - why not?

Took four weeks to sort out a managerial replacement and yet the contract is still no officially signed? May be nothing but it does make you worry (especially after the Cox incident)!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Compensation I should Think with bath city

Though it's torquay united who knows
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Can't complain how well our new manager has been backed, Nicho must be spitting feathers at the lack of support he was shown at the end of last season and through to his sacking.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

kevgull wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 15:06 Can't complain how well our new manager has been backed, Nicho must be spitting feathers at the lack of support he was shown at the end of last season and through to his sacking.
It's not like Nicho did spend a fair wedge over the summer, they just all turned out to be crocked! I'm willing to bet the wage bill when Nicho was sacked was the highest it had been in at least 3 years.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

kevgull wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 15:06 Can't complain how well our new manager has been backed, Nicho must be spitting feathers at the lack of support he was shown at the end of last season and through to his sacking.
Perhaps the board actually realised that Nicho had no idea what he was doing and held back the money for someone who wasn't going to chance it on lottery tickets !!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

:goodpost:
Gloomy Gull wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 16:53 Perhaps the board actually realised that Nicho had no idea what he was doing and held back the money for someone who wasn't going to chance it on lottery tickets !!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Gloomy Gull wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 16:53 Perhaps the board actually realised that Nicho had no idea what he was doing and held back the money for someone who wasn't going to chance it on lottery tickets !!
Exactly!!!!

It didn't take long for Nicholson's Emperors' new clothes to disappear did it; not much support for him on here now and it's little surprise really is it considering the poisoned chalice he has left behind.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

What utter tosh. He simply wasn't backed in any way shape or form like the new man has been. No surprise to see news of Owers not having signed a contract as of yet though, it was all rushed through in the end, nothing like the long drawn out process of due diligence spouted by the new GI supporters.

He had the poisoned chalice taken from him, time will tell whether Owers and Kuhl have inherited their own or whether they will receive the proper backing Nicholson never did.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

They'll receive the 'proper backing' if they get it because they are GI's men, not because they've been inherited from the previous owners ~ happens all the time in football and Nicholson had been acquiring as many lives as a lucky cat.

If he's as good as some say then he'll walk into another job won't he. Time will tell.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

merse btpir wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 20:12 Exactly!!!!

It didn't take long for Nicholson's Emperors' new clothes to disappear did it; not much support for him on here now and it's little surprise really is it considering the poisoned chalice he has left behind.
So you're pleased with a situation in which we deliberately gave a manager a budget that ran to 15 contracted players, sacked him after 4 games, waited another 6 to appoint a manager and then left the new manager starting in September well adrift of safety with the rest of the budget? If the situation you described is true then they should have sacked Nicholson last April, done the 'proper process' of a manager search in the off season and given the new manager the whole budget, a squad of his own players, the larger pool of summer players to choose from, a full pre-season to gel them to his style and a whole season of 46 games to get us into the highest position they can.

The latter would undoubtedly be better for the club. The former is only really better if you really dislike Kevin Nicholson. Personally I don't believe Kevin Nicholson left any poisoned chalice behind - he was an employee who worked with the resources he was given. When he had good players he got them playing well and moving onto league clubs, and when he had some money he was able to sign some good players. At no time in his tenure was there a professional football club behind the scenes to allow him to do anything else from firefight from one crisis to the next.

Football fans are fickle though, and a team losing matches generates anger, as we've seen in recent years. We're now a divided fanbase, struggling on the field and have a scapegoat, presumably for the next two years, that for anything that happens it can be blamed on Nicholson, his 4 games in charge and 'his players'. How quickly it has changed from that "keeping our eye on the ball" thread this summer, back when it was GI that was the biggest threat to our future and we had to stay vigilant or their long term plan would succeed. It was perhaps good advice, given how little it took for the magicians to get eyes fixed on the puff of smoke and not on where the magic is really happening.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Gulliball wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 07:24So you're pleased with a situation in which we deliberately gave a manager a budget that ran to 15 contracted players, sacked him after 4 games, waited another 6 to appoint a manager and then left the new manager starting in September well adrift of safety with the rest of the budget? If the situation you described is true then they should have sacked Nicholson last April, done the 'proper process' of a manager search in the off season and given the new manager the whole budget, a squad of his own players, the larger pool of summer players to choose from, a full pre-season to gel them to his style and a whole season of 46 games to get us into the highest position they can.
No I am not; I'm with you in that I felt the previous management should have been replaced as soon as last season was done and dusted ready for a new start under a new regime........

I have been consistent in that this is what I presented as the way forward and received shit loads of abuse for doing so.

And it wasn't done was it and the mistake of retaining the old with the old repeating their mistakes of the previous close season in the form of keeping too many failing players was made with (I suspect) the thought of keeping the supporters like the ones castigating me, onside.

A third successive season of struggling against relegation tells you that eventually the trapdoor is going to open just as it inevitably did to drop the club from the Football League to the world of non league football so soon after fighting so hard, so expensively and so well to get out of it in such a short time before.....it was inevitable that the management had to be changed rather than entrusted with more of the resources that are new being put at the disposal of Owers and Kuhl.

The 'poisoned chalice' is the proliferation of poorly prepared and injured players; the genuinely incapable and not fit for National League purpose nature of too many of them and the resultant desperate league position after barely double figures of games have been played. A weak and losing mentality that needs immediate remedial attention and the very urgent need to recruit suitably when in a desperate situation which lessens bargaining power ~ now that is a poisoned chalice!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

So you believe this was a deliberate action that GI took to maximise their own popularity and set us on the path of a 3rd successive struggle, so that they could turn the public opinion and remove Nicholson without a backlash, and your takeaway from this is relief that now everyone else blames Nicholson and you're not getting any stick on forum?

Edit:

If GI wanted Nicholson out that strongly, they should have done what is best for the club and taken the PR hit. Fans are fickle and would have cheered the new manager if we win games. Putting us in the situation we are in now, starting 11 games behind everyone else and a lot of the budget used up, is damaging to the club. That is the difference I suppose between those who genuinely have the club's interests at heart and those that don't.

For someone who can see the bigger picture and say they returned to posting on this forum to educate fans on GI, your constant posts on Nicholson baffle me. You don't like how he got the job, fine, you made that very clear a long time ago. But we now have a divided fanbase - a mixture of anger, frustration and apathy - at a time when focusing on behind the scenes is crucial to TUFC existing in ten years' time. Fans can blame Nicholson's signings now for any hardships for the next however many years - and you're going from thread to thread championing this, with no focus on the larger picture and where the danger lies. Is people agreeing with you on Nicholson really that important to you?
www.torquayfanstats.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Gulliball wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 08:58 So you believe this was a deliberate action that GI took to maximise their own popularity and set us on the path of a 3rd successive struggle, so that they could turn the public opinion and remove Nicholson without a backlash, and your takeaway from this is relief that now everyone else blames Nicholson and you're not getting any stick on forum?
That is clearly not what I have stated; you're putting your own interpretation on it.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Edited my previous post to add paragraph - on a train at the moment so not easy to copy and paste into a new post.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

merse btpir wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 09:09 That is clearly not what I have stated; you're putting your own interpretation on it.
Well that was my understanding of what you posted. GI wanted their own man and didn't want to back Nicholson any longer with a budget, but didn't want to sack a popular manager. So they gave him the summer, let the 15 man squad lose 3 games and sacked him them.

Which part of that differs from what you stated?
www.torquayfanstats.com