Owers yet to sign a contract.....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Blame nicho ...blame gi ...blame the tea lady ( not that we have one ). But does it not just go back to mismanagement at the club back to that Roberts bloke. Had a upturn with thea bristows money , but too many people just sucked club dey and this is how we ended up.

Gi next in line to kill club in taking plainmoor away , when that happens the club for me would have had it's heart ripped out.

It's a shame but I can't see much upturn, another season performing miracles staying in the national league is no statement of intent, statement of failure.

It's not over yet but feels hopeless
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

tomogull wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 12:00 To those already knocking Gary Owers and Martin Kuhl - we haven't had the new manager 'bounce' that we hoped for, but they have to be given time to organise the team into their way of playing. Once that first win comes along, I think they will come along like buses - one after the other. But 9 points adrift is already a hell of a lot to pull back.
I admire your optimism and truly hope your predications come true. But as it stands, do we realistically have a full time squad of professional players (that numbers 26. according to Ower's) that are anywhere near talented enough to outplay part-time clubs such as Dover let alone full-time teams like Aldershot, Wrexham, or Dagenham. The MOTM thread is telling when most can just about muster three players and some only one, whilst many it appears just cant be bothered to name one. Owers has admitted he can't do anything else in the transfer market with the size of the squad he has already got so hence why, two games in, he probably is already washing his hands of the shambles, and informing us that to get out of this mire "the onus is on the players". So I guess we just have to passively accept that the players are being handed the responsibility to steer the course. Full marks to Owers though, not signing a contract, at least he has his escape plan at the ready.

Accepted my view is an opinion and I should really have greater faith, particularly as Dr Harrop has told us about the long awaited selection process in that they "were very pleased with both the quality and quantity of applications we received, providing the enviable but time-consuming position of real choice" in which "Gary and Martin emerged as our choice" ... not mind I hasten to add. 
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Southampton Gull wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 11:52 But when you shop at the local food bank you're going to have to select from mainly bruised apples......
True, but then he shouldn't go on about that the next manager will think he has won the lottery with the squad that Nicholson left him. That is clearly the stuff of delusions. Nicholson left a squad that wasn't fit for purpose, sadly.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Why has he not signed a contract though? If it's a case of just dotting the i's and crossing the t's with Bath then why not just say so instead of nothing again? Hardly the official secrets act is it?

Tell the truth, keep the fans in the loop and job done. If you aren't hiding anything that is.

Makes me sceptical of both Kuhl and Owers now tbh and thinking they are now complicit in GI's plan. I guess that's just the paranoia that emerges from things not being done as they should be.

Owers and Kuhl haven't signed contracts yet GI? Why is this? Simple question that requires a simple answer.
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 24 Sep 2017, 14:50, edited 2 times in total.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

hector wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 14:31 True, but then he shouldn't go on about that the next manager will think he has won the lottery with the squad that Nicholson left him. That is clearly the stuff of delusions. Nicholson left a squad that wasn't fit for purpose, sadly.
There weren't too many on here saying the squad was weaker this season before a ball was kicked.................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

You lack any objectivity as you claim to be his friend.
Quite simply the fitness regime and lack of preperation were shocking. Believing some bloke from the local gym is some sort of fitness guru was a massive mistake.
If you were honest he was the wrong appointment.
Employing a total novice was mindblowingly naive.
Ok he is a nice guy, he did his best. It wasnt enough sadly
However it is now pointless going on and on about Nichos failings and the fault of our current predicament lays at the feet of many others.
Tust member 191
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Mattpuma wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 15:31 However it is now pointless going on and on about Nichos failings and the fault of our current predicament lays at the feet of many others.
Absolutely! In the modern game of football one draw and four losses and the managers out. Simple! no if's or but's!

Nicho's gone, let it all be now 'water under the bridge'.

Now lets all move onto our current predicament. On the basis of Torquay's win/draw ratio before you lose your managerial position, Ower's does at least have the next three matches to find the win/s to enable him to sign his contract or walk the long road back to Bath, namely Dagenham (a) Maidenhead (h) and Dover (h). So two part-time and one full time club. What's the odds of us winning any of them given the "onus is on the players".

P.S. Please. no looking back at records of previous incumbents (Nicho included) that would be unfair on Ower's having only come from League South, Bath City.
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Mattpuma »

You seem obsessed with this 4 games stat.
Actual stat is 28 wins from 104 matches.
Tust member 191
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Mattpuma wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 16:39 You seem obsessed with this 4 games stat.
Actual stat is 28 wins from 104 matches.
Sorry! thought there were only 46 games this season. Of which we have now played 4 with one manager - 6 with a caretaker manager - and two with a new manager.

O'dear O'dear, your not talking about Nicho's past again are you - great escapes and all that. Please note in my post that I did state:

" Please. no looking back at records of previous incumbents (Nicho included) that would be unfair on Ower's having only come from League South, Bath City."

And here you are whittling on about the past, 'it's just not cricket', old chap.

You need to start a new thread 'Nicho keep us in the league - can Ower's"
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Southampton Gull wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 14:49 There weren't too many on here saying the squad was weaker this season before a ball was kicked.................
Too true, loads of so called experts.

The general opinion on here was that "on paper it is a better squad than last year". Love that saying "on paper", bloody ridiculous saying.

Now probably, and I havnt checked the same are saying the opposite. Gotta laugh eh
TUST MEMBER
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Mattpuma wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 15:31 You lack any objectivity as you claim to be his friend.
Quite simply the fitness regime and lack of preperation were shocking. Believing some bloke from the local gym is some sort of fitness guru was a massive mistake.
If you were honest he was the wrong appointment.
Employing a total novice was mindblowingly naive.
Ok he is a nice guy, he did his best. It wasnt enough sadly
However it is now pointless going on and on about Nichos failings and the fault of our current predicament lays at the feet of many others.
Obviously your objectivity is seriously screwed because I've never made any inference whatsoever that he is a friend of mine. The rest of your argument is no different to what I've always maintained.
Dave

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Garry Owers is doing the same as Nicho playing Anderson left back and sticking with Reid. I hope that he woke up this morning in a different frame of mind as this has been problem positions all season.

I am sure if he gets these positions sorted and get a result and usually it starts away from home the players will gain confidence as this is sadly lacking. It would be a bonus if he could get Dowling for a three month loan as well.
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Mattpuma »

Southampton Gull wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 18:57

Obviously your objectivity is seriously screwed because I've never made any inference whatsoever that he is a friend of mine. The rest of your argument is no different to what I've always maintained.
Ok. I accept that was poorly worded. You are, I am sure you agree, one of the most consistently pro KN posters on this site which is what I was trying to allude to .
I am not anti KN, he tried but ultimately he wasnt experienced enough for such a big job.
I guess he can take many lessons from his tenure into his future career.
Tust member 191
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I've made my views known on the way the club has been run for several years now and because I may know more than some people about the working circumstances of the manager it can be mistaken as just supporting Nicholson when it's actually just pointing out the glaring obvious fact that nobody could have succeeded over the last few years. I have been more than prepared to let the subject lie but people continually make unfair observations and hurl insults at someone who literally tried his best from day 1 in the job. Since he left we've not done any better yet most were in agreement the squad was improved this time round. In short, yes he made mistakes but he doesn't deserve the dogs abuse he gets without understanding the working conditions he endured.
Dave

tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

MellowYellow wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 14:18 I admire your optimism and truly hope your predications come true. But as it stands, do we realistically have a full time squad of professional players (that numbers 26. according to Ower's) that are anywhere near talented enough to outplay part-time clubs such as Dover let alone full-time teams like Aldershot, Wrexham, or Dagenham. The MOTM thread is telling when most can just about muster three players and some only one, whilst many it appears just cant be bothered to name one. Owers has admitted he can't do anything else in the transfer market with the size of the squad he has already got so hence why, two games in, he probably is already washing his hands of the shambles, and informing us that to get out of this mire "the onus is on the players". So I guess we just have to passively accept that the players are being handed the responsibility to steer the course. Full marks to Owers though, not signing a contract, at least he has his escape plan at the ready.

Accepted my view is an opinion and I should really have greater faith, particularly as Dr Harrop has told us about the long awaited selection process in that they "were very pleased with both the quality and quantity of applications we received, providing the enviable but time-consuming position of real choice" in which "Gary and Martin emerged as our choice" ... not mind I hasten to add. 
To be a Gulls supporter, you have remain optimisic. That's all we've got ! The alternative is to give up. Gary Owers was not my choice of manager, either. In fact, when I heard the announcement I said "Who the hell is Gary Owers ?" Now that he and Martin Kuhl are here, we have to give them our support and hope they can drag us out of the mire we're in - regardless of the hapless Harrop and GI who will not be at Plainmoor for ever. We just have to hope we still have a football club when they eventually go.

There is time, but I suspect it will mean quite a bit of wheelin' and dealin' - loaning out players and bringing in loanees to replace them. As it stands tonight a quarter way through the season, we're bottom of the National League and Truro are top of National South. Surely Truro taking our place couldn't possibly happen ???? :'(