Owers yet to sign a contract.....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Hang on. Owers has inherited an unfit for purpose squad of players who are under contract. What can he do? Or will GI agree to pay up those contracts in order to get rid?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

That would be interesting then the club would be in sh--- street. Who's paying it could put us in financial trouble unless G.I. PUT MORE MONEY IN.

I cannot believe that a few of the players were signed on again this season. I agree with your comments nickbrod!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

MellowYellow wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 20:47 "the onus is on the players" Blimely! two games in and Ower's already washing his hands of the shambles.
Nicey nicey only gets you so far!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

nickbrod wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 20:59 Hang on. Owers has inherited an unfit for purpose squad of players who are under contract. What can he do? Or will GI agree to pay up those contracts in order to get rid?
Exactly - hence why no quality experienced manager would take the job and hence the rushed appointment - as panic set in - of Ower's from a mediocre team in the Southern League. If you don't agree, that's fine.

"What can he do" Well what about what he is paid to do - manage! No more 'what he inherited' stories please. He took the job on the basis that he could do the job and knew pre-hand the resources, both human and financial, available.

Taking responsibility Is the highest mark of great managers, so when I hear our new manager say two games into his tenure, the "onus is on the players" to get out of this mire, I am slightly concerned. It is easy to lay blame, but it doesn’t achieve much and it can have a negative effect on the players you are laying the blame on. It is the managers responsibility to share the credit and take the blame. That’s what good managers do. It is a clear sign that they are in control and ready to step up when things don’t go according to plan. Most strong managers would prefer to take responsibility and control of a situation than passively accept that the players they are handing responsibility to are steering the course.

Before I conclude, yes I think it was right that Nicholson left. Nonetheless, given Nicholson was doing the job with both hands tied behind his back, at the worst period of our modern history, don't ask me to have sympathy for a new manager who has the foresight of knowing what he is taking on. Either he can do the job or he cant. And more fool him, if he cant!
Last edited by MellowYellow on 23 Sep 2017, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

nickbrod wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 20:59 Hang on. Owers has inherited an unfit for purpose squad of players who are under contract. What can he do? Or will GI agree to pay up those contracts in order to get rid?
GI wont pay up the contracts of those players you refer to.. More is the pity IMO but he can wipe the slate clean with the players and impose his structure .
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Make no mistake about it, Owers has come into this job with his eyes wide open and so far he is not showing me that he has the ability to turn this shambles around.
Very early days I know however at the very least I expecting a little more guts and guile to our performance.

The clock is ticking and the 50 - 52 point target is looking further away with every game played.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

It concerns me slightly that Owers has apparently not signed a contract yet - I do really hope that we don't end up with a Paul Cox-type situation where he walks away when he realises the full awfulness of our situation. I'm not harking back to a golden age when things were better under Nicho, they plainly weren't, but I don't like seeing the constant trashing of Kevin's reputation on this forum - he did remarkably well for a rookie with no money to spend and I sincerely hope he goes on to make a real success of his career.
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 14:54 He fulfilled what was requested of him 2 seasons running on a meagre budget. Fitness levels of players is hardly something you're qualified to comment on and pass off as fact and classing him as a poor manager is failing to recognise the qualities he undoubtedly possesses. He managed us at the worst period of our modern history, there are many reasons for that just as there are many reasons why it's unfair to label him the way some have done. Nobody can honestly say how good or bad a manager he is based on his time here, only time will tell us the answer to that one.

Are Owers and Gowling qualified to comment on fitness levels? Owers doesn't seem impressed with the fitness levels of the squad and Gowling admits they are working hard on getting their fitness levels up.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Well he wouldn't would he, half are on or have been on the treatment table, duh!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Gulliball wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 07:24 So you're pleased with a situation in which we deliberately gave a manager a budget that ran to 15 contracted players, sacked him after 4 games, waited another 6 to appoint a manager and then left the new manager starting in September well adrift of safety with the rest of the budget? If the situation you described is true then they should have sacked Nicholson last April, done the 'proper process' of a manager search in the off season and given the new manager the whole budget, a squad of his own players, the larger pool of summer players to choose from, a full pre-season to gel them to his style and a whole season of 46 games to get us into the highest position they can.

The latter would undoubtedly be better for the club. The former is only really better if you really dislike Kevin Nicholson. Personally I don't believe Kevin Nicholson left any poisoned chalice behind - he was an employee who worked with the resources he was given. When he had good players he got them playing well and moving onto league clubs, and when he had some money he was able to sign some good players. At no time in his tenure was there a professional football club behind the scenes to allow him to do anything else from firefight from one crisis to the next.

Football fans are fickle though, and a team losing matches generates anger, as we've seen in recent years. We're now a divided fanbase, struggling on the field and have a scapegoat, presumably for the next two years, that for anything that happens it can be blamed on Nicholson, his 4 games in charge and 'his players'. How quickly it has changed from that "keeping our eye on the ball" thread this summer, back when it was GI that was the biggest threat to our future and we had to stay vigilant or their long term plan would succeed. It was perhaps good advice, given how little it took for the magicians to get eyes fixed on the puff of smoke and not on where the magic is really happening.
Nicholson didn't just have four games in charge. He had something like 85. Regardless of the background situation, his managerial record was woeful and beyond defending. The mistake was not sacking him when they lost at home to teams with 10 men and no goaly.

Much was made of his signings being injured but of course they were. They were crocks. He signed players with dreadful injury records, so the excuse that his players were injured is nonsensical, because he signed them, knowing they were injury prone. Therefore, he was never going to have a fully fit team because the chances of players like Lathrope, Gowling, Davis, Clarke etc all being fit at the same time was probably as likely as the new manager feeling like he had won the lottery, when he inherits a sickbay full of players, no doubt aggravated by flipping tyres due to the 'guru' status given to the bloke from the local gym.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

But when you shop at the local food bank you're going to have to select from mainly bruised apples......
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 14:19 No, what is tiresome is the continued berating of someone who was trying to do his job against a backdrop of continued threats and interference, not help.

It isn't a case of him doing no wrong, it's a case of stating facts in the face of continued unfair criticism. If anyone doubts that his budget was still poor for a full time club then so be it, no skin off my nose what they choose to believe.
Good posts, Dave. It's good to have a balanced perspective on here - thanks for that. I have not posted much on here recently because I have become sick to death of - as Gulliball pointed out - almost every thread being tainted by the poisonous bile against Kevin Nicholson re-gurgitated time and time again by that obnoxious keyboard football manager who I suspect has never even managed a Sunday League pub side. Certainly if he insults people in real life as he insults Forum members from behind a keyboard, he would never gain respect of any players. Do you know what gets me? There are posters on here who are so naive that they actually think because he posts in bold, he must know what he's talking about! Well let me tell you - most of his posts are cr*p.

For what it's worth, my firm opinion is that against all the odds, in spite of the the mess and lack of support from those running/ruining our club, Kevin Nicholson kept us in the National League during two traumatic seasons. I thank him, and the players who supported him, for that. Personally, I think being dismissed was the best thing that could have happened to Kev and his family. He has got away from what must surely be the worst run football club down to National South & North level and beyond, and he can now look for a management post where the club is properly run and he will get support from the Board.

To those already knocking Gary Owers and Martin Kuhl - we haven't had the new manager 'bounce' that we hoped for, but they have to be given time to organise the team into their way of playing. Once that first win comes along, I think they will come along like buses - one after the other. But 9 points adrift is already a hell of a lot to pull back.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

tomogull wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 12:00 Good posts, Dave. It's good to have a balanced perspective on here - thanks for that. I have not posted much on here recently because I have become sick to death of - as Gulliball pointed out - almost every thread being tainted by the poisonous bile against Kevin Nicholson re-gurgitated time and time again by that obnoxious keyboard football manager who I suspect has never even managed a Sunday League pub side. Certainly if he insults people in real life as he insults Forum members from behind a keyboard, he would never gain respect of any players. Do you know what gets me? There are posters on here who are so naive that they actually think because he posts in bold, he must know what he's talking about! Well let me tell you - most of his posts are cr*p.

For what it's worth, my firm opinion is that against all the odds, in spite of the the mess and lack of support from those running/ruining our club, Kevin Nicholson kept us in the National League during two traumatic seasons. I thank him, and the players who supported him, for that. Personally, I think being dismissed was the best thing that could have happened to Kev and his family. He has got away from what must surely be the worst run football club down to National South & North level and beyond, and he can now look for a management post where the club is properly run and he will get support from the Board.

To those already knocking Gary Owers and Martin Kuhl - we haven't had the new manager 'bounce' that we hoped for, but they have to be given time to organise the team into their way of playing. Once that first win comes along, I think they will come along like buses - one after the other. But 9 points adrift is already a hell of a lot to pull back.

:goodpost:

Couldn't have put it better myself tommo.

What people will eventually come to realize when the club are finally relegated this season is that Nico kept the club up in times when the club had been firmly gripped with a cancer and that upon relegation, Owers and Kuhl will have performed worse than Nico despite having more support.

Eveything at the club is dying from the inside out and not Owers, Kuhl, Nicholson or Guardiola can stop it sadly.

Amazingly you get people STILL giving the benefit of the doubt to GI and Owers, Kuhl and putting more money in the hope bank. Owers and Kuhl will do their utmost i'm sure but it won't be anywhere near good enough to save the club. Thanks GI. :-D
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Glad to see some sense in the last few posts. The sad truth is that it's easier for people to blame the manager than accept the truth that the club is rotten to the core. Blaming the manager gives them hope; replace the manager and we'll be saved. Realising the truth gives no such comfort.

Time to wake up, wise up and grow up.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 11:52 But when you shop at the local food bank you're going to have to select from mainly bruised apples......
Brilliant! :)