Highest and lowest TUFC away support.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Highest and lowest TUFC away support.

Post by Taelee73 »

Torquay Utd has traditionally always had a large away following. After seeing the amazing 49 who turned up at Barrow, I was just wondering the facts and figures of our away support over the years. Just how few and how many have watched us in an official match.
So if you guys can better my numbers, please do tell.
I was one of the the hardy band of 30 or so who travelled to Scarborough and the Mcain stadium somewhere around 1993/4. We lost 1-0 in front of 1,300. It was the match where Wes Saunders had his career ending injury.
The highest was the 1500 to 2000 again somewhere around 1993/4 who saw us head to Home Park And lead Plymouth 2-1 at halftime, to ultimately lose the game 3-2.
So can anyone beat 30 and 1,500 ?
Lee.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Torquayfanstats is an excellent site for recent stats. Here's there away followings stats since 2009.

http://www.torquayfanstats.com/away-followings

Largest away following surely has to be Argyle in Lings first season when Mansell scored in front of us to make it 2-0. I think we took over 2500 (pretty much our whole home crowd!). All the Argyle fans I know say that was the best and loudest away following they have ever seen.

I can remember a freight rover game away to Hereford on a Tuesday night in the late eighties/early nineties where I counted only 14 other Gulls in the away end.
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruari keetings

Post by Northampton gull »

York when knill was in charge on a cold Tuesday evening 1-0 loss there was 12 including myself
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

There were 1000 + Torquay supporters in a crowd of over 16,000 at Feethams for a 0-0 draw with Darlingtom for the final game of the season in May 1966. This game saw both teams promoted to Division 3 (now League 1).

Twelve months later again over a 1000 Torquay fans travelled to Middlesbrough. A win for Torquay and a win the following week at home to already relegated Swansea Town would have seen Torquay promoted to Division 2 (now Championship). It was not to be though and we were thumped 4-0 in front of 28,000, and Middlesbrough were promoted with QPR.

I was at both games. I think it is more impressive as away support than games at Home Park, particularly as in those pre-motorway days supporters coaches had to set off for both games at 7.30 pm on the Friday evening for the 3 pm Saturday kick off.
Wraysburygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Welsh

Post by Wraysburygull »

How about the FA cup 3rd round game at Coventry, late 80s? Must have been 2500+ there.
I once went to Blackburn, early 70s , with a great uncle who lived there. I swear I was the only Torquay fan in the ground! Lost of course 😳
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Northampton gull wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 22:11 York when knill was in charge on a cold Tuesday evening 1-0 loss there was 12 including myself
pretty sure that there were more than 12 there that evening....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Jerry wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 20:16 Torquayfanstats is an excellent site for recent stats. Here's there away followings stats since 2009.

http://www.torquayfanstats.com/away-followings
Excellent Stats site - who put's in all this terrific work?
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

MellowYellow wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 23:47 Excellent Stats site - who put's in all this terrific work?
I believe that it's this site's very own Gulliball :-D
bigleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by bigleigh »

From personal experiences, Hereford away(1-1) March 1984 there was just myself and my Mum and Dad in the away end but there was a few in the seats. Orient(2-0) on New Years day 1988 there was less than 50 but a 11 o'clock kick off didnt help, Burnley away (0-1)on a Tuesday night in February 1990 there was 13 of us and away at Man City (0-0) in the league cup was around 30 in the away end and the police outnumbered us 2 to 1.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Colchester, when they banned away fans in the late 1980s, there were 4. I joined Colchester as a member and took my brother and a friend as guests, plus one other who got a kindly Colchester fan to sign him in as a guest.
Around that time our away following was generally much smaller than it is now.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Northampton gull wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 22:11 York when knill was in charge on a cold Tuesday evening 1-0 loss there was 12 including myself
It was under Hargreaves and i was there too alongside SuperNickyWroe and i'd guess about 150 there. Bloody cold though but credit to Hargreaves for trying to hang on grimly to a 1-0 deficit. :~D
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

A few games after that i was at Hartlepool with about 40 or 50 others where we capitulated again under clueless Hargreaves. Typical of that tight git to pick the away game where he knew there would be fewest fans to offer to buy every away fan a pint. Still waiting for the beer Tarzan!!
Villagull
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Villagull »

I don't have the stats in front of me, but I remember going to the Birmingham fa cup replay a number of years ago at the hole St Andrews. I had the full intention of sitting in the away end, but it was sold out and looked like a couple of thousand away fans. Had to sit with the blue noses 😣.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

I was at the Don Valley Stadium against Rotherham which i believe was our last game of the season a few years back when a play off spot was secured and from memory i think there was maybe 800 or so fans there which for a league game oop north was amazing.

Glad they knocked the place down though. It was in a worse state than my health!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

I was also at an FA Trophy game at Southport about 9 or 10 years back where it was a 3-0 battering. Can't have been more than 40 or 50 in that crowd either. I believe Muzzy Carayol played in that game and everyone was raving about him but i'd not seen him much. He was bloody terrible. I saw at the weekend he scored an audacious 40 yarder for Forest in the Championship. Nottingham is at least a bit closer to home eh Muzzy? :}