Highest and lowest TUFC away support.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
NorfolkGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nicky Wroe

Post by NorfolkGull »

Made it to Braintree away last season in the FA Trophy. Me and a friend stood behind the goal (no cover) and there were only 4 of us! It was unsegregated and raining however, so I'm sure there must've been more fans somewhere.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

NorfolkGull wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 09:20 Made it to Braintree away last season in the FA Trophy. Me and a friend stood behind the goal (no cover) and there were only 4 of us! It was unsegregated and raining however, so I'm sure there must've been more fans somewhere.
That's an important point. Two games have been mentioned on this thread, away to Argyle and Coventry, where the posters have estomated there being 2500 Torquay fans. I was in the home section at both games and I know many other Torquay supporters were, so even with segregation away attendances are never accurate.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The official number at PAFC that day was 1938 in the away end. If I remember rightly some were shut out while a few more went in the home ends (which were also close to selling out). All in I'd be surprised if it did reach 2500, but even so, what a day! Some change in 5.5 years hey...

For me, the best following I've been in was Southend. Didn't we take nearly 3,000 up there?
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I would have gone to the Darlington game (1966), stefano, but I was on the D.G. at the time and Inspector George didn't look too kindly on absentees. I was at the Coventry (A) cup game, the only time I've ever been corralled by the police (on horseback). Was at the Walsall (A) game in 1968, the Gillingham (A) game in 1969[1970?]), Newport County (A) in 1963, Bournemouth (A) (1968), plus trips to Wembley, Bristol City, Argyle, Exeter, Yeovil, Bristol Rovers, Leyton Orient, and many others I can't recall on the spot. My first ever game was the Amateur Cup final (2nd replay) between Crook Town and Bishop Auckland at Ayresome Park on 1954, also saw York City vs Tottenham Hotspur in 1955 (stood on the top of the corrugated iron bogs), Middlesbrough (with Brian Clough) a few times in 1957 and, in 1965, Chelsea vs Manchester United (with George Best et al) - in those days you just walked to the ground, paid six bob or whatever its was, and strolled in. Most exciting game ever? Whitby Town 4 Stockton 5 in the 4th qualifying round of the Amateur Cup in 1956.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

I believe the lowest is one. Romford Kev, away at Carlisle in the days of McFarland/Saunders/around that time, I think. A Tuesday evening in a freezing cold month, so probably a January or February. I believe he drove there and back the same day/night from ... go on, take a guess. What a hero. Legend.

No doubt someone will be able to confirm.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Soupdragon wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 15:27 I believe the lowest is one. Romford Kev, away at Carlisle in the days of McFarland/Saunders/around that time, I think. A Tuesday evening in a freezing cold month, so probably a January or February. I believe he drove there and back the same day/night from ... go on, take a guess. What a hero. Legend.

No doubt someone will be able to confirm.
I wouldn't mind betting that the lowest is zero, but nobody knows because there was nobody there to confirm it! ;-)

(the club entered the Football League in 1927 - there was a post 1st War recession - mass unemployment - transport links were poor - 2nd War to come : I expect there were lots of zeros in the early days)
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

Southend away in 2004 when Leroy's team clinched promotion must have had a high turnout. Notable for Mrs HockeyGull going on to the pitch at the final whistle to celebrate.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Lowest attendance that sticks out for me was away at Chester in the Atkins great escape season (2005?). The game was scheduled for a Saturday but there was heavy snowfall and it was called off on the day. It was then rescheduled for the following Tuesday (as in 3 days later), so very few people could actually make plans to attend. The away attendance was recorded as 55, which was about right. The game was notable for me for Lee Thorpe scything down a player, everyone in the crowd expected a booking for Thorpe........until he got up and promptly nutted the player he'd just taken out. Cue red card. We were 1-0 up at the team and ended up clinging on for a 1-1 draw
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Excluding Wembley and old Trafford. Hereford away on the final day the a few seasons ago under ling, must have been around 1500. Lowest tranmere early 1990's, we lost 3-0 and I think bar me and a mate, 3 others I saw.
Lucy
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

stefano wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 15:46 I wouldn't mind betting that the lowest is zero, but nobody knows because there was nobody there to confirm it! ;-)
Indeed. But if no-one was there to see no-one there ... did it really (not) happen?

I still think Romford Kev's a ledge for that, though.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Took my lad to Darlington 95/96 season, won 0-2 and I counted 28 in the away end.
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

I think I can win this. On the 3rd January 1983, as part of my 30th birthday celebrations, I took my wife to Halifax. She saw aunties nearby while I went to the Shay to see Torquay play them on a Monday night. It was absolutely freezing with sleet falling throughout the game. I was in my blue and yellow scarf. I did not see one other fan. The ground was almost deserted and resembled the opening scene of Blade Runner. The previous attendance at the Shay was 912 for the visit of Tranmere. If I remember correctly Torquay lost 3-0. I bet no other Torquay fan was there, I certainly didn't hear anyone not that there was much to cheer about. I shouted a few times, the locals too frozen, too bored or thinking I was a sectioned person out for the evening, to cause any bother. I would love to hear from anyone who shared this most depressing match in terrible conditions in this L.S. Lowry landscape.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Thanks for last post very interesting. Knowing that area where halifax ground is , it does get very cold indeed, colder than other parts of yorkshire
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Jerry wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 20:16 Torquayfanstats is an excellent site for recent stats. Here's there away followings stats since 2009.

http://www.torquayfanstats.com/away-followings

Largest away following surely has to be Argyle in Lings first season when Mansell scored in front of us to make it 2-0. I think we took over 2500 (pretty much our whole home crowd!). All the Argyle fans I know say that was the best and loudest away following they have ever seen.

I can remember a freight rover game away to Hereford on a Tuesday night in the late eighties/early nineties where I counted only 14 other Gulls in the away end.

What a bloody day that was!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6hgTk5rCDs
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Villagull wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 08:44 I don't have the stats in front of me, but I remember going to the Birmingham fa cup replay a number of years ago at the hole St Andrews. I had the full intention of sitting in the away end, but it was sold out and looked like a couple of thousand away fans. Had to sit with the blue noses 😣.

Poor man. Luckily I was in the away end, could still smell the noses, though :na: :Z .
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.