Highest and lowest TUFC away support.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Away support has generally grown over the last 35-40 years,especially as more people have become "exiled" in other parts of the country.
I went to places like Lincoln and Scunthorpe in the mid 70's, where there were only three or four others I spotted supporting us.
Even our support at Devon derbies was small at times;I remember going to a boxing day match at Exeter in the early 70's, on the only coach that went and it was half-full.The "away end" was open to home supporters too,resulting in a mate of mine getting punched by some City idiots and I doubt whether there were more than 50 of us there in total.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

lucy6lucy wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 19:08 Excluding Wembley and old Trafford. Hereford away on the final day the a few seasons ago under ling, must have been around 1500. Lowest tranmere early 1990's, we lost 3-0 and I think bar me and a mate, 3 others I saw.
I was also at that Hereford game Luce when they had that temporary stand like you see at golf tournaments on telly. If i recall it was 3-1 or could have been 3-2 but i know we were 3-0 down and thought the comeback was on at one point. Also Taiwo Atieno scored i believe which left me in absolute shock for the remainder of the week. :lol:

Another pointless and not so interesting fact about that game is it was the first and last time i was to purchase a cup of bovril at the footy. Cost me nearly 3 quid for some hot thin brown water. What's all that about?!!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Believe we sold our allocation of 1250 at Hereford. Also remember it well but for negative reasons - the complete bottle job which saw us 3-0 down at half time. Pulled two back quite early in the second half, but then Crawley scored which rendered our result pointless (for us anyway).

The Nick Powell equaliser in the previous game was the one that really stuffed us for getting promotion that season. Still one of the most devastating goals I've seen at Plainmoor (along with the Exeter game....).
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

I was one of no more than 6 at Halifax on a Tuesday night in our first season in the conference with Buckle, Lee Phillips was the only player that didn't have a shocker and made the 3-0 scoreline more respectable with a couple of late goals. One stand was closed and there were hardly any home fans so don't think any United fans were hiding amongst them. I overheard one fan grumbling that they'd come all this way for that rubbish, then had a 6 hour drive home before going to work at 7.

We must've had quite a lot at Barnet for the relegation decider, coachloads of us ended up outside as there weren't enough tickets.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

I used to travel on the club run coach(es) in the late 70's. We used to leave Plainmoor 12.00 at night and get to places like Rochdale, Doncaster, York between 6.00 and 7.00 in the morning. We used to stop at Newton Abbot to pick up "Buster" and his crew, next stop Gordano services. Usually the coach had about 30-35 people on it. sometimes less. We never seemed to see any other supporters at the games, although even in those days there would have been exiles. When I moved to Sussex in the 80's I started watching our away games in London and the South East. I remember driving up to Southend for a Friday night match, and only seeing 2 other supporters, although there were probably 1 or 2 more there. It is so memorable that I couldn't tell you the score, let alone who was playing, or even who our manager was at the time!
StretfordGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by StretfordGull »

Bigman wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 11:49 I was one of no more than 6 at Halifax on a Tuesday night in our first season in the conference with Buckle, Lee Phillips was the only player that didn't have a shocker and made the 3-0 scoreline more respectable with a couple of late goals. One stand was closed and there were hardly any home fans so don't think any United fans were hiding amongst them. I overheard one fan grumbling that they'd come all this way for that rubbish, then had a 6 hour drive home before going to work at 7.

We must've had quite a lot at Barnet for the relegation decider, coachloads of us ended up outside as there weren't enough tickets.
I was at that Halifax game. There was a lot more than 6 of us. There were 3 of my mates for a start. It absolutely poured and the pitch became a quagmire.
The Shay was absolutely huge for a 5th tier side and then they demolished that stand we were in for some reason.
StretfordGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by StretfordGull »

Not while we were still in it, I should say
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

StretfordGull wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 10:25 I was at that Halifax game. There was a lot more than 6 of us. There were 3 of my mates for a start. It absolutely poured and the pitch became a quagmire.
The Shay was absolutely huge for a 5th tier side and then they demolished that stand we were in for some reason.
That barnet game there were people in trees watching the game ....what a game that was
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Biggest away league were Barnet and Leyton Orient around 2500 for both. The smallest away crowd I have been in was 13 freezing our nads off at Harlepool in 89-90. One all draw a Loram pen.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

I was in a crowd of about 10-15 of us away to Scarborough once. Chris Waddle played for us. No pies at half time as woman behind the counter said she didn’t think it was worth opening a new box as there were so few of us.

Was at both of the Barnet and Orient matches. Very different feeling after both. Going 3 up at Barnet wasn’t so unexpected. Very sore throat after Orient shouting at that shit, Paul Raynor. Was Shilton in goal for them or was that an earlier game? I may be completely imagining that, though.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

I think we could have big attendances both home and away towards the end of the season if we remain in the promotion hunt. Woking away and St Albans away in April could be massive! We have amazing fans really - the numbers at Dulwich were brilliant recently.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Rjc70 wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 16:50 I was in a crowd of about 10-15 of us away to Scarborough once. Chris Waddle played for us. No pies at half time as woman behind the counter said she didn’t think it was worth opening a new box as there were so few of us.

Was at both of the Barnet and Orient matches. Very different feeling after both. Going 3 up at Barnet wasn’t so unexpected. Very sore throat after Orient shouting at that shit, Paul Raynor. Was Shilton in goal for them or was that an earlier game? I may be completely imagining that, though.
Was it not Hartlepool? I saw Wadds with a similar size crowd... miserable day and a goal down before we'd even got settled!
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Bloggy wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 18:47 Was it not Hartlepool? I saw Wadds with a similar size crowd... miserable day and a goal down before we'd even got settled!
Must’ve been both. I didn’t make the Hartlepool one. Seem to recall either Foster or Partridge scored a header for us at the McCain.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Yep, you're right. Don't think we scored against Hartlepool. Remember Waddle trying to get one of our players to mark one of theirs from a corner and was ignored... their player then went and scored! Much to his dismay. Not sure Chris enjoyed his short spell with us and can fully understand his frustrations at the time. Happy days.