Torquay United v Macclesfield Town, Match Day Thread 23/9/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Dazza wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 21:36 I totally agree. It's been needed since Blissett left and before him after Bowman left. It's amazing we just keeping hoofing the ball forward game after game as if we had a player who any chance of retaining it . You can practically trace our results by the omission.
the irony is that Bowman nearly came back pre-season.... :-/
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Dazza wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 21:36 we just keeping hoofing the ball forward game after game as if we had a player who any chance of retaining it
You've hit the nail on the head without realising it....... "hoofing the ball forward game after game". That's the problem; not the size of the intended recipient.

Good footballers and well managed teams don't hoof the ball forward; they play it intelligently into channels or even better into feet. A ball played in the air is invariably lost to the opposition and therein lays the fitness issue and repeated late concession of goals because the team spend an inordinate amount of the game chasing to get the ball back; get physically and mentally tired and forget their pre-match instructions.

I bet yesterday the levels of ball retention were dropping well before that late goal was conceded.......it's just so predictable just as it was at Lincoln last season when Nicholson orchestrated the chorus of 'unlucky' yet again........they weren't unlucky, they were profligate with possession!

If the guy up front happens to be big/tall then fine but remember his feet are still on the ground and they represent the best percentage chance of retaining possession.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

merse btpir wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 23:22 You've hit the nail on the head without realising it....... "hoofing the ball forward game after game". That's the problem; not the size of the intended recipient.

Good footballers and well managed teams don't hoof the ball forward; they play it intelligently into channels or even better into feet. A ball played in the air is invariably lost to the opposition and therein lays the fitness issue and repeated late concession of goals because the team spend an inordinate amount of the game chasing to get the ball back; get physically and mentally tired and forget their pre-match instructions.

I bet yesterday the levels of ball retention were dropping well before that late goal was conceded.......it's just so predictable just as it was at Lincoln last season when Nicholson orchestrated the chorus of 'unlucky' yet again........they weren't unlucky, they were profligate with possession!

If the guy up front happens to be big/tall then fine but remember his feet are still on the ground and they represent the best percentage chance of retaining possession.
as the great Brian Clough said....

"If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there."
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Looking at their squad i don't think there is any need to be fearful of them. They are up there in the table but have had a couple of surprising results at home especially getting hammered by both Woking and Maidstone. Their away form is ok including wins at Wrexham, Solihull, Chester and only losing narrowly at top of the tree Sutton. A heavy 3-0 loss at Gateshead is their only real blip away.

It's a dangerous time to play any side who have just been unexpectedly spanked 4-1 at home and they could prefer away games rather than at the Moss Rose so all in all i think another draw will probably be the most likely outcome here hopefully. I am struggling to see where a Torquay win will come from in this game but you never know.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 23:34 as the great Brian Clough said....

"If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there."
He was a great manager my favorite but he did have a big centre forward and wingers that could cross the ball but played through Robertson not O'Neal.
apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Gritton

Post by apgull »

Macclesfield have managed to strengthen their squad recently by getting rid of Courtney Richards, but I still expect us to get our first win.

I'll go for 2-1.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I think that maybe where the young Rhys whatshisface comes in - big and mobile if I'm not mistaken.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

With Dowling out, can we name two centre midfielders?
The gulls are going up
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Don't think Rhys Murphy is particularly ' big and mobile' . He says himself he is not a target man and was carrying an injury in pre season - welcome Rhys you are in good company - so he will probably need a bit of time to get up to speed. Pittman out for a couple of weeks as well so maybe there will be another addition to the squad today and maybe an exit ( Fallon) or two as well.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy is another Kieffer Moore, comes in does really well then gets snapped up somewhere else.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Haven't attended the last two home games, not due to any boycotting, but after a decade of hardly missing a game, the entertainment value had completely disappeared for me, and so I needed a break.

Will be back on the Popside though for Saturday, the new management duo deserve a welcome, and provide a glimmer of hope which has been missing for a little while now. Would be nice to see some of the other stay-aways step back inside Plainmoor too and create a bit of an atmosphere again, and give Owers and Kuhly some backing.
Rossi Martin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Rossi Martin »

2-0 Gulls win both in second half
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

brooker wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 10:46 Will be back on the Popside though for Saturday, the new management duo deserve a welcome, and provide a glimmer of hope which has been missing for a little while now. Would be nice to see some of the other stay-aways step back inside Plainmoor too and create a bit of an atmosphere again, and give Owers and Kuhly some backing.
I will be there for the same reasons. :scarf:
TUST number 080
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Have to agree would be nice to support the new guys. Think these two are, hopefully, what we need, football people who are here to do a job for their own benefit and thereby benefiting the clubs fortunes. I will certainly be there (although I do have a season ticket!).
Would be nice to see over 2000 again.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

My team for tomorrow

Dorel
Efete Gowling McGinty Higgins
Young Evans
McQuoid Gray Murphy Myrie-Williams

subs Reid, Anderson, Keating, Osborne and another who is fit, I may have left out someone, so many comings, goings
injuries

Cant see who else will play left back, surely not Anderson at home, and Higgins does have a left foot
The 3 new guys up front I assume will play if deemed to be match fit