Very confused - what is GI's game?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Be very careful for what you wish........the announcement of a board of directors for the club will more than likely herald it being cast adrift from it's GI funding in exactly same manner that Dulwich Hamlet have!
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

merse btpir wrote: 07 Nov 2017, 13:53
Did you know that a greyhound track was constructed in Kingskerswell in 1932 on the east side of the Great Western Railway Torquay branch line and the west side of the Torquay Road. The name The Halfway Racetrack derived from the Half Way Cottages and Half Way Inn that were located on its east side. The track opened during February 1933 and traded through the war. The racing was independent (not affiliated to the sports governing body the National Greyhound Racing Club) or a 'flapping track' as they were colloquially known....I spent a few evenings there unknown to my parents as a boy!

The venue was listed as being able to hold 500 spectators and in 1947 had a totalisator turnover of £157,233 which was a large turnover for a small track. In the 1960s the track was all-grass and raced five dog races over 220 and 530 yards and had an inside rail hare system.

The track raced until November 1971 with the land being sold for redevelopment. The housing on the site today is called Stadium Drive and the Halfway Inn is now a private house and has been superseded by the much more spacious and modern pub called the Hare and Hounds right across the road from where it was.
That's interesting. My Grandparents used to live up Fluder Hill in Kingskerswell and we'd look down on the floodlit greyhound track in the evenings. I wondered what happened to it.

Sadly if GI get their way there might be a Pop Side Drive in Plainmoor - and perhaps a Derek Dawkins Terrace and Kenny Allen Gardens too.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 07 Nov 2017, 13:27 I'm all in favour of demolishing greyhound stadia so in that respect i like Osborne. If you want to race greyhounds then fine, just make sure once they can't earn you anymore money that you look after them and don't pass them on. As nobody does this then yes, go Clarke! Right behind you man! I'd rather make money out of property than animals and there's me thinking Clarke has no conscience.

There is one charity that shouldn't need to exist and it's called the Retired Greyhound Trust.
If greyhounds, or any other domesticated animal, was not exploitable by human means, then they would never of been born in the first place.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

wtf are you on about?

I'm talking about greyhound racing here. If you want to race a greyhound and try to win money with it then i don't have a problem with that so long as when it's finished racing it curls up in front of your fire at home. If you want to race a greyhound and try and win money with it then when it can't run anymore try to pass it on or even dispose of it (which happens almost exclusively) then i'm 100% behind Clarke Osborne turning the tracks into housing.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Yorkieandy wrote: 07 Nov 2017, 22:06 I'm talking about greyhound racing here. If you want to race a greyhound and try to win money with it then i don't have a problem with that so long as when it's finished racing it curls up in front of your fire at home. If you want to race a greyhound and try and win money with it then when it can't run anymore try to pass it on or even dispose of it (which happens almost exclusively) then i'm 100% behind Clarke Osborne turning the tracks into housing
'Disposing' of greyhounds doesn't occur 'almost exclusively' but it does occur far too often.

I had a share in a greyhound that was retired at the age of three due to arthritis and ~ despite best effort ~ couldn't adapt to being a house pet which is a shame because it ended up being destroyed. Greyhounds make great pets and contrary to popular myth, do not need miles and miles of walking as they are by nature quite lazy and docile beasts.

I was offered another share in a greyhound about a year ago but declined ~ more for economic reasons than any other ~ now that dog has been retired due to fitness issues and the owners are bending over backwards to have it re-habilitated as a pet at great cost to themselves as it happens.

Now I'm quite partial to watching and betting on horses and dogs run but am not stupid enough to believe that their world is squeaky clean and without distress to some of these animals, but there we are this is the real world; in which many human beings too are mistreated and not accorded the respect and dignity they are due and that's life...........eaten any nice cows lately?
Last edited by merse btpir on 07 Nov 2017, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

No. I only eat game animals and fish. Game animals live a natural life and allowed to eat a natural diet before they are shot. Eating farmed animals is madness. Growth hormones, antibiotics, contaminants introduced into the animal from manuactured feed and that's before we get into the morals of farm animal welfare. Fish are also allowed to live a natural life until landed which essentially is just like being caught by a gull and although our seas are polluted as sin and bioaccumulation of heavy metals and toxins in fish is a growing problem, they are a better option than farmed fish. If you eat farmed fish you're insane.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

I plead guilty to being insane and not really concerned enough about my own wellbeing then.........it's all too much inconvenience to me I'm afraid.

Pie and mash tonight and a Cornish pasty for lunch ~ although I'm quite a skilled chef when the mood (and time) allows ~ shocking I know, but that's life for the majority of us. Some people are guilty of voting Tory and for Brexit you know; it takes all sorts!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

BSE and clogged arteries.

They get their own back in the end anyway. ;-)
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

I've lived with a few mad cows, I don't need any more! :}
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I expect living with you drove them all mad ........
re Higgins bit unfair to single him out but yes he has been at fault for a few goals, but cant knock his effort
running and commitment but as you say the first priority of the full back is to stop the cross
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Yorkieandy wrote: 07 Nov 2017, 22:26 No. I only eat game animals and fish. Game animals live a natural life and allowed to eat a natural diet before they are shot. Eating farmed animals is madness. Growth hormones, antibiotics, contaminants introduced into the animal from manuactured feed and that's before we get into the morals of farm animal welfare. Fish are also allowed to live a natural life until landed which essentially is just like being caught by a gull and although our seas are polluted as sin and bioaccumulation of heavy metals and toxins in fish is a growing problem, they are a better option than farmed fish. If you eat farmed fish you're insane.
Andy, I think supporting Torquayunited in previous years has resulted in the above post. You've lost the plot man. More of us will follow soon. However back to topic, what's is GI game, your somehow right on topic. Osborne favourite game is probably venison.
Lucy
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 07 Nov 2017, 13:53
Did you know that a greyhound track was constructed in Kingskerswell in 1932 on the east side of the Great Western Railway Torquay branch line and the west side of the Torquay Road. The name The Halfway Racetrack derived from the Half Way Cottages and Half Way Inn that were located on its east side. The track opened during February 1933 and traded through the war. The racing was independent (not affiliated to the sports governing body the National Greyhound Racing Club) or a 'flapping track' as they were colloquially known....I spent a few evenings there unknown to my parents as a boy!

The venue was listed as being able to hold 500 spectators and in 1947 had a totalisator turnover of £157,233 which was a large turnover for a small track. In the 1960s the track was all-grass and raced five dog races over 220 and 530 yards and had an inside rail hare system.
I remember The Halfway Race track well! Did you know that following the closure of the Halfway Greyhound Track in Kingskerswell, a greyhound racing track was constructed on the final turn inside Newton Abbot racecourse and was an all-sand circuit. The opening night was 2 May 1974 and races featured regularly until 2005 with the main events being the Newton Abbot Derby and Newton Abbot St Leger. They had five on-course bookmakers there for those that fancied a bet.

"....I spent a few evenings there unknown to my parents as a boy!" I expect young boys could get away with murder back in 1933, Merse !