SAD

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lugmeister
Verified by Admin
Verified by Admin
Favourite player: young

SAD

Post by lugmeister »

I have found Torquay to be a very homely club, well run financially and competitive on the pitch backed by a fanbase proud of the clubs achievements over the years' It bugs me that when the poisoned chalice[yeovil] came along i took the security of a two year contract rather than the opportunity of adding another string to my bow as a so called director of football may i add on expenses only until the end of season with torquay. Having retired i still have followed local football and the pro clubs in the area, when the job came up i decided that i could help i my agent contacted the club secretary and was given Mr Harrops phone number who was in charge in liason with the owners of the appointment of a new manager. m y agent duly contacted Mr Harrop and offered me as manager or me as a mentor with a young manager from the national league who was a client of my agent.In discussion he told my agent there had been over one hundred applicants and that he didnt need my cv because he knew me from his time at yeovil head of youth and he would be in touch.Days passed no contact so my agent phoned to be told that he didnt think i could coach any longer and he was going to be director of football with a young coach/manager. I can only presume that he didnt think due to my illness i could coach any longer the illness i have had for twenty years 6 promotions 2 play off finals two cup finals in that time. People may feel that this is the ramblings of an old man trying too turn the clock back and in some ways you may be right but surely 40yrs of football experience should be taped into in some way. Just thought the fans needed a wee insight. If a manager is appointed today this is the ramblings of an old man lol. Paul Sturrock
SatNav
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by SatNav »

I am really sad to hear this Paul. A lot of fans will be fuming when they read this;it will add further fuel to the fire regarding the 'agenda' of Mr Harrop. I fear the new manager will be a puppet. And yes, the club is in demise which is very sad indeed. Your offer of help is very appreciated and I don't doubt your credentials. Tom
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Welcome Luggy.

It's a shame that it seems you haven't been treated with the respect that an application from someone with your track record and proven success deserves. There have been a few occasions over the last few years when I really hoped to see you either in the Managers chair or as a DOF here. By way of an example , both Chris Hargreaves and Kevin Nicholson would have benefitted massively I'm sure from having your experience to guide them and in my opinion the club should have gone down that route with both of them (an experienced DOF like you) rather than, in the case of Nicholson certainly, appoint an inexperienced Assistant.

To be honest Luggy, you have probably dodged a bullet anyway! We may well have turned out to be the next "poisoned chalice"!
It seems Mr Harrop - who I guess you appointed at YTFC as Head of the Youth Academy? - wants the role of DOF for himself anyway! I wonder how his CV for that position within the club would compare with yours!

I was gutted when you left us after the briefest of stays last time, but hey who could blame you! Why would anyone choose to work on expenses only when they had the offer of a salaried position with the security of a two year contract just up the road!

I wish you the best of luck in your "retirement" if that is what it is - but never say never! As a lifelong fan I can honestly say there has been more than one occasion when I wished you'd come and sort us out - but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Sadly, we are a once proud little club, with a big heart and some incredibly loyal fans, who are seemingly on a never ending downward spiral. Great shame as the fans deserve so, so much better.
Last edited by CP Gull on 13 Sep 2017, 09:00, edited 2 times in total.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

If this is a genuine post then yes, I'm already fuming!

If someone of your calibre was interested in the role we would be bonkers to not even meet with you!

Is it too late?
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 08:54
Is it too late?
Sadly, yes.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I've seen.

Gary and Martin would still undoubtedly benefit from having Paul as a mentor should the opportunity arise?!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Hope it is genuine sounds it

Welcome.

I would have welcome you into the club as I'm sure many would. Either touchline or upstairs , but of course matters on the pitch are very clearly secondary in this club now.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Says it all they turned away PAUL STURROCK for these 2 with Harrop overseeing it. UNBELIEVABLE.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I am so so done with this club it's untrue i can't keep supporting this farce.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Not saying it isn't sturrock that started the topic. But anyone could have wrote that and put his name to it. Can merse not clarify
Lucy
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

lucy6lucy wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 09:36 Not saying it isn't sturrock that started the topic. But anyone could have wrote that and put his name to it. Can merse not clarify
no need for merse. it is paul.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 09:41 no need for merse. it is paul.
Thanks SNW. Just saved myself a trip to la la land on Saturday
Lucy
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

lucy6lucy wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 10:00
Thanks SNW. Just saved myself a trip to la la land on Saturday
How could I clarify that?

I rather doubt that a professional would do such a thing as send a post like that to a fans' forum; after all it doesn't do his professional standing in the game any favours does it.

Having said all that; reminders of the name Paul Sturrock only goes to underline the wealth of football knowledge that the previous two regimes could have tapped but didn't. Instead Thea Bristow fell for Bill Phillips and Peter Masters and Dave Phillips was enviegled with Dean Edwards.........now we have the brother-in-law of the owner overseeing things.

Ironically I was at Bromley last night where the brother-in-law of the owner there (Jerry Dolke) had to be dismissed from the managerial position on the insistence of new shareholders who were needed to boost the capital of the business and so Mark Goldberg lost his job and subsequently bought a controlling interest in Welling United where he concentrates on owning and chairing that club rather than attempting to manage it......Goldberg of course is the former owner of Crystal Palace who lost his fortune over the financial excesses at Selhurst Park and has built another one.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with Mr. Merse. Also, would a man of Mr. Sturrock's age use the term 'lol'? I know he is not as old as I (75) but he is certainly a senior citizen. Also, surely a man of Mr. Sturrock's stature, ability and history would be better educated? The post purporting to come from him is so riddled with grammatical and syntactical solecisms that it seems unlikely that it could have been written by a man who has been in charge of senior football clubs throughout the country.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Wake up people - you have all gone nuts. Any **** could have started this thread and you are "welcoming" some random poster as though its Sturrock himself.

I mean get a grip. Its not April Fools Day. Move on.