SAD

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I do and I do laugh about it hence my post. Take it which ever way you want to. Basically if you are offended then tough shit - I couldn't care less. If you saw a bit of fun in it - then good or bad you've probably got the same sense of humour as I have.

Definitely my last post on the subject - as is your want I am not getting into a debate on who has the most experience of physical or mental disabilities. If you live with either you have my sympathies but don't assume you are the only person who knows what its like.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

brucie wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 10:25 I actually know quite a bit about disability - I won't go into it but my partner suffers from a serious illness. Believe me the best you can do is find some humour in it otherwise it can drag you down.
You call me a fool in another post and write this tripe. We all have relatives with some disability or other but only you seem to find humour in it.
Actually the best thing you can do is not belittle people and use inflammatory remarks about anyone.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

For what it's worth; I would chip in with my experience of having a sister- in-law with a Downs Syndrome child; a daughter with a teenaged son (my grandson) who is Aspergers' Syndrome and a son myself (my youngest) who is fixated to the point of obsession with detail (but not Autistic) resulting in a high level of 'tantrum' when under stress; that humour and self deprecation is indeed a massive positive to be able to summon up as one tries to deal with all the extra levels of love and care demanded by these situations.

I don't think Terry (brucie) was being flippant; far from it; and maybe it's our age group but I think such an attitude helps one help them better rather than sink under a sea of self-pity and depression.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I have a viewpoint on people with disability - their normal. They laugh, many are employed, have kids and even their marriages are successful (or not — just like everyone else). They play sport, like ice-cream and eat hamburgers and believe it or not, those with disabilities do have a sense of humour. They can enjoy a joke, even one aimed at themselves.

When one looks at the content of the post in question I think one can gauge it is meant in a humorous vein and in no way a vindictive one. Like all well-balanced people, those with disabilities can laugh at themselves too. So please let us not treat them differently by trying to subject them to a protective world of humour censorship.

No doubt my viewpoint will stir a hornet's nest, but it is what it is - just a viewpoint.
lugmeister
Verified by Admin
Verified by Admin
Favourite player: young

Post by lugmeister »

May this post be an apology for the timimg of yesterdays post,my intention was to give a frustrated fan base some info . I believe that the fans are the most important people and deserve to be kept in the loop as far as news is concerned. I wish Gary all the best in his new job and hope he can steady the ship and bring Torquay back to the english div 2 the league i believe is there stomping ground. Paul Sturrock p.s. yes my grammer is shocking its because of a miss spent youth lol
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

MellowYellow wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 00:45 I have a viewpoint on people with disability - their normal. They laugh, many are employed, have kids and even their marriages are successful (or not — just like everyone else). They play sport, like ice-cream and eat hamburgers and believe it or not, those with disabilities do have a sense of humour. They can enjoy a joke, even one aimed at themselves.

When one looks at the content of the post in question I think one can gauge it is meant in a humorous vein and in no way a vindictive one. Like all well-balanced people, those with disabilities can laugh at themselves too. So please let us not treat them differently by trying to subject them to a protective world of humour censorship.

No doubt my viewpoint will stir a hornet's nest, but it is what it is - just a viewpoint.

Ask yourself if Martin read the post, or any of his immediate family and friends who I'm sure found his illness challenging to deal with read the post or indeed if his mental health team read the post. Do you think they would see humour in it?

It's not humour censorship. It's just having the common decency to not take the piss out of someone who is mentally ill. Pretty obvious really.
SatNav
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by SatNav »

Yorkieandy wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 07:28
Ask yourself if Martin read the post, or any of his immediate family and friends who I'm sure found his illness challenging to deal with read the post or indeed if his mental health team read the post. Do you think they would see humour in it?

It's not humour censorship. It's just having the common decency to not take the piss out of someone who is mentally ill. Pretty obvious really.
Get a grip. Seriously!! It clearly wasn't posted to offend Martin Ling.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 07:19 Yeah classic bit of disability discrimination there. Aren't there laws about that?
:}

it's called HUMOUR.....
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

I actually should be thanking those who have responded as i am currently writing a book about mental illness which i intend to self publish and distribute at some point next year. Ironically it is a book that does approach this delicate subject area in a light hearted context. Some of the proceeds are being donated to MIND the mental health charity and i have been encouraged by the interest in it even at this embryonic stage.

I now have some really good examples of different attitudes to my own regarding mental illness (obviously a miniscule sample set) and it would be interesting to highlight them and investigate them further. It also may help me to accept other views that are different to my own and so i can learn to respond more appropriately and calmly. So thanks again for your inadvertant help. :-D

Lots to think about.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

United62 wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 09:13 :}

it's called HUMOUR.....
Yes. Just as i read today in the York Press that ex player Clarke Carlisle has been reported missing. Clarke attempted suicide by stepping in front of a lorry on the A64 near York a few years back due to a long standing battle with a depressive illness.

Anyone fancy making a joke about that?

No thought not.

I just hope he's found safe and well and can get the treatment required but just with less humour.
moneylife
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by moneylife »

lugmeister wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 01:42 May this post be an apology for the timimg of yesterdays post,my intention was to give a frustrated fan base some info . I believe that the fans are the most important people and deserve to be kept in the loop as far as news is concerned. I wish Gary all the best in his new job and hope he can steady the ship and bring Torquay back to the english div 2 the league i believe is there stomping ground. Paul Sturrock p.s. yes my grammer is shocking its because of a miss spent youth lol

OK Now I smell pure bullshit
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Andy.... read Brucie's message at the top of this page.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

We all have differing views on what's humorous and what's not. Like virtually everyone else on this forum, I have very close relatives with varying disabilities, some visible, some not and if we didn't have our own brand of humour to cope with life's ups and downs the world would be a very dark place indeed.

Clarke Carlisle going missing is not funny. Hopefully he'll turn up safe and sound. What is funny though, is that you think you have the right to tell us all what to think. It doesn't work that way. And, as Brucie said, if you don't like it, tough shit.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

We've had a few players go missing just lately......Liam Davies, Josh Gowling, Ryan Clarke, Jordan Lee, Chaney, Kluelesskowski, Old UncleTom Cobley and all....Luke Young even does it in the second half of away matches without getting injured and don't get me started on Jamie Reid!

Just watch the cripples pick up their mats and walk now the new management are here and the haven't got Nanny Nicholson, and his quack doctor Jeffreys there to indulge them.

On a serious note, I hope Clarke Carlisle is OK
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

No one would ever condone laughing at someone's disability ,whatever that might be , but laughing with someone to help alleviate that condition is a great way to counter the stress for all parties.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Clarke Carlisle has been found safe and well. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41280150