Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

'known, yet regarded as unknown; dying, and yet we live on; beaten, and yet not killed' Corinthians 6:9

Is watching TU now a 'fate worse than death'?

We can blame CO for the failings as a club but the failing on the field of play is the responsibility of the main man - the boss.
His remit was to all intense and purposes was to:

1) "bring the talent, experience and contacts that are key for a club wanting to climb and top the National League." – Geoff Harrop, General Manager and

2) " intention of challenging at the right end of the table " -Clarke Osborne, Chairman

After todays dismal display do you really believe your words Mr Osborne that "Gary Owers has the skill and determination to keep us in this division". You told us "Torbay deserves a successful football club" therefore you must know, if nothing else for the man's health and well-being, you can 'give no quarter' . It is plain to see that he is lost in a sea of wilderness, clutching at straws and as he says "trying to find a way of winning one football match... " Is this the future of TU! This outlook does not correlate with your words of "rightfully competing back in the Football League"

In his 4 months in charge going from 8 points adrift of safety to 11 points adrift with the worst defensive record in the league and 16 matches to play is frankly unacceptable.

Your a business man Mr Osborne, you know the true performance of a manager is performance. Back up your words and extirpate the underachiever now or that "one extra step on the ladder" could well be numerically higher.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

sgf wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 19:30 Hindsight is marvelous isn't it
Hardly hindsight. Pull out any of my posts when he was appointed. Those were foresight ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 00:19 Hardly hindsight. Pull out any of my posts when he was appointed. Those were foresight ;-)
Haha fair point Dave. However, we had no choice but to give him a chance, which clearly he has used up. We make Sunderland look stable.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Some people who doubted the concerns of others 5 years ago have contributed to the problem.
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 21 Jan 2018, 01:08, edited 2 times in total.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

We had plenty of options but unfortunately Harrop turned to Owers after Moore turned us down and put all his eggs in one basket even paying to get his man. He actually paid money to Bath for Owers. I find it absolutely astonishing. Bath City at the time were languishing near the releagation zone. It was always destined for failure in my opinion. I've stood firm by that belief while Merse was telling us all how a team should be set out. I actually agreed with him apart from owers being the man to do that.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

The poor bloke is feeling dreadful tonight from his interview and post match comments. Well Gary, do us all a favour relieve yourself from that emotion and quit. Your a failure, it's really that simple.
Lucy
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

.....and what is the next step if Owers quits today? Who would be put in charge; Kuhl, Shaun Taylor..........Harrop?

Think about that. This is not a defence of Owers record which is totally unacceptable; but I always say you need to have your next man in place and ready to go when you sack a manager.

There is a man out of managerial work and living locally who could probably step in immediately and that man is Steve Tully but everyone would need to accept that he would be stepping into an already doomed club and would require a blank canvas guaranteed to him at the end of the season and to support him in beginning his task towards that right now.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Totally agree with Merse in terms of, it's now time to set the club, the team up for life in the NLS. Believe merse is right about a small percentage of our support as well, sorry to say it, but some are just gormless.

We constantly cry to bring back ex-players and ex-managers, and replace failure with failure, and then wonder why. Yesterday in the gulls nest and around the ground, shouts to bring back Nicho, why ? Yes he can motivate, agreed, tactically was he a good manager, how many times when a game was going against us did we just see, one generic, like for like substitution that didn't work after another, in my opinion , no, not even close.

Nicho today is still lauding Simon Jeffries as some sort of special guru, come on Nicho, your blind faith in this guy got you the sack, he was deluded if he thought, his team was physically fit for 90 minutes of football, they clearly were never that, and some want to bring him back.

There's no doubt, Ower's was brought to fix a bad situation and he's failed, he brought in a bunch of players as a 1st fix, it didn't work, so he went for a 2nd fix, that failed, now he's on the 3rd fix, and this latest bunch of new players, are worse than what Nicho brought in.

Time for one big clear out, and start again, there's a need for a new manager, and please no more, 'oh he loves the club' ex players and awards for being not very good at the job, that new manager then needs time and support from the club, and us fans to re-build.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 00:27 We had plenty of options but unfortunately Harrop turned to Owers after Moore turned us down and put all his eggs in one basket even paying to get his man. [highlight=yellow]He actually paid money to Bath for Owers[/highlight]. I find it absolutely astonishing. Bath City at the time were languishing near the releagation zone. It was always destined for failure in my opinion. I've stood firm by that belief while Merse was telling us all how a team should be set out. I actually agreed with him apart from owers being the man to do that.
that is unbelievable.
I bet they were p155ing themselves. If it wasn't so tragic, annoying and such and obvious bad decision, it would be funny.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

merse btpir wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 08:23 .....and what is the next step if Owers quits today? Who would be put in charge; Kuhl, Shaun Taylor..........Harrop?

Think about that. This is not a defence of Owers record which is totally unacceptable; but I always say you need to have your next man in place and ready to go when you sack a manager.

There is a man out of managerial work and living locally who could probably step in immediately and that man is Steve Tully but everyone would need to accept that he would be stepping into an already doomed club and would require a blank canvas guaranteed to him at the end of the season and to support him in beginning his task towards that right now.
It's not a bad shout about tully.
Did a good job at truro and I don't think bring local is a requirement but however being that he is I assume is not a bad thing
I wanted owers to succeed but it's all chop change and bring these kids is no good. It's failure

Seems owers was a panic buy , last chicken at Sainsbury's
Scoutman
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Scoutman »

merse btpir wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 08:23 .....and what is the next step if Owers quits today? Who would be put in charge; Kuhl, Shaun Taylor..........Harrop?

As someone who spends some time watching other non league teams in the South West I was surprised Tully wasn't interviewed for the job. Him and Carlisle did a great job at Truro. Promotion and then play offs the following year. I believe Tully is a Pro A licence coach, according to last weeks paper a legend at Exeter and pretty articulate on the radio. I once watched Truro train in Torquay as most of the players were from this area. With his local contacts at Exeter and Argyle maybe we could borrow a few experienced pro's. After watching the yellows recently I think they would have troubles in the Conference South even with clubs training two night per week.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

If, and I hope it's a big if , Harrop ever entertained the idea of asking Nicholson to come back as first team manager that would be it for me.
I would relinquish all ties with the club completely ( Inc giving up my membership with TUST ).
I cannot think of a more backward step to take.
So ,yes, let's all accept we are going down & start planning for next season in the NLS. Tully wouldn't be such a bad shout surely.
Nearly a 3 month start on everyone else should give us a chance to compete competitively.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Why this obsession by Merse and others on Nicholson. There is no chance he will coming back. He clearly was disliked by new owners and sacked imv for reasons having nothing to do with football. Owers was appointed also for non footballing reasons. It took us 3 weeks to find someone who would agree with GI,s 'plans' for the club.
Goose9
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Goose9 »

[highlight=yellow][/highlight]
Teigngull wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 15:58 If, and I hope it's a big if , [highlight=yellow]Harrop ever entertained the idea of asking Nicholson to come back as first team manager[/highlight] that would be it for me.
I would relinquish all ties with the club completely ( Inc giving up my membership with TUST ).
I cannot think of a more backward step to take.
So ,yes, let's all accept we are going down & start planning for next season in the NLS. Tully wouldn't be such a bad shout surely.
Nearly a 3 month start on everyone else should give us a chance to compete competitively.
Eh? Who gave you the idea that was even an option?

It's well known that they never got along, Nicholson wouldn't come back to work with him and Harrop/Osborne wouldn't have him back.

Not a chance.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Don't think it's an obsession, just some expressing opinions, in reaction to growing calls around the ground and across social media for him to be brought back.

Of course under the current ownership he's not coming back, he wouldn't be asked anyway as said. One would hope, in a future potential fan ownership that he wouldn't be asked to return as manager either.
Formerly known as forevertufc