Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

MellowYellow wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 22:25 As Clarke Osborne is not a football man the club does need someone who brings together all the different aspects of running a football club and makes certain they comply with a coherent, long-term plan. But I think I am right in saying that the consensus of opinion is Harrop is not that person.
No he's the owner's brother-in-law who alerted the owner to the vulnerability of the club so as to further is own ambition.

The owner wouldn't know the difference between playing at Chelsea or playing at Chard; just like the previous but one owner who thought that dropping out of the Football League for the second time in five years would be a breeze and lead to 'more fun football'. Or the last owners who listened to Dean Edwards and fell for all that pony. The next thing we'll read is that Rose West has got a job in charge of the Junior Gulls.

In the First World War they called it lions being led by donkeys; I wouldn't let these **** anywhere near a donkey and would sooner put them in front of a lion if pressed.

And talking about the local idiocracy down there, I see the BBC report mentioned that Tallan Mitchell came on as sub today. That's right Tallan Mitchell, the skinny little urchin who faffed about in pre-season under Nicholson. Easy to confuse with Reece Mitchel; but I guess they look so similar.

Does anyone know anything at all about football down there?
Last edited by merse btpir on 13 Jan 2018, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Some don't know a shit manager when he's taking them head first down to regional football ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Does osbornes ambition , mixed with Harrops job as general manager create a issue. Perhaps Harrops job is for us to be doomed
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Make no mistake about it ; it was Harrop who brought Osborne to the table not vice-versa!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Yep.

Anyone know a Slipknot tribute band? To do a remake of their classic.....OWERS = SH*T?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

DevonYellow wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 22:42 What is the difference in budget though?

I appreciate Kev saved us twice but I'm also of school of thought that he was manager when we got in the mess to escape in the first place.

That said Nicholson, Ian Atkins and Steve McQueen combined couldn't get us out of it this time!
No denying that. Some mistake my dislike of the way Nicholson was treated for support of him keeping his job. That isn't the case. I genuinely think he would have got more out of this team than Owers has BUT what's done is done. I don't like seeing him get unfair criticism just because Val Balson demanded he be given the managers job, that wasn't down to him. Who wouldn't take it if offered, apart from Harrops first choice, obviously.

The budget difference was huge over the one he was given for the first year of his reign and significantly larger this season than last but the main difference for me is that Harrop continues to stick by Owers solely because he would have to otherwise admit he made a right royal f**k up of appointing a successor when he continually undermined Nicholson.

It's painfully obvious that Harrop has made a huge gaffe in the way he has handled things, if he is to be judged by results like the managers then he should be relieved of his job with immediate effect. He's out of his depth and is the only one who can't see it.
Dave

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

merse btpir wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 22:59 Make no mistake about it ; it was Harrop who brought Osborne to the table not vice-versa!
FACT!!
Dave

westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Merse , if Harrop brings osborne to the table. Then why did he bring osborne to the table ? Is it a case of Harrops case was there is oppunity for osborne to exploit our situation and is Harrop also guilty of that.

All seems underhand and it stinks.
They both very quiet
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Harrop will have done it to fuel his ambition to run a football club. Osborne will have looked into the opportunities of acquiring land and hey presto he put the screws on the previous board like he's done elsewhere many times previously.
Dave

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 23:05 Merse , if Harrop brings osborne to the table. Then why did he bring osborne to the table ?
Because yet again Torquay United are seen as a club where you can procure a job without the necessary CV to justify it. Employment from within the family=a better salary and more security than being the Academy Head at Yeovil Town AND in the town where he lives into the bargain!

It's not rocket science is it?
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

If all true then Harrop won't be going anywhere as quite possibly osborne will be pleased with how it's going

We need to protest
Flipper
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Angus Mac

Post by Flipper »

Haven't posted for a while but have been reading peoples thoughts on the forum.
I don't think the football has improved at all since GO has taken over the team. God knows what everyone thinks they are witnessing each home game but it's certainly not better than the football we played towards the end of last season under KN, or in deed the end of the season before.
The issues previous to GO's arrival, on the pitch, remain. And how many new players since his arrival ? Is it 9 or 10 now ? So it suggests that;
1. He can't get players here that really wants and he's panicking.
2. He can get players here but he can't motivate or coach them. OR
3. He can't pick his nose never mind a team and formation to win games.
Because folks, that's all that matters in this league, winning games and not how you do it. How many shit teams have come here been outplayed and walked away with 3 points and their fans leaving the ground with smiles on their faces While we walk out bemoaning how rubbish they were. Lovely football is a luxury for teams with better resources, better manager and better ownership than we have at the moment.
Regardless of how poor the players may be they aren't playing for him and a little birdie tells me that the players don't like him. Possibly a reason why players don't want to come here and play for him and the current crop aren't putting their bodies on the line for him on the pitch..
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 23:14 If all true then Harrop won't be going anywhere as quite possibly osborne will be pleased with how it's going

We need to protest
I cant believe Osborne will be happy he will want to restore honour in the family.- I can already read the headline{
'Harrop sleeps with the fishes'

Relegation will really 'put the bunny back in the box' on the proposed new stadium for the freehold of Plainmoor. What need? Have you seen the state of the Southern league grounds, they make Plainmoor look like San Siro Stadium home of A.C. Milan and Inter.
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by smw89 »

I second ‘Flippers’ comment about Gary Owers.
I have also heard that the players don’t like him... so therefore won’t play for him/the club.
I have also heard that McGinty may be off to Scotland and that Luke Young will be off pretty soon too.

In other news I have also heard that Mark Ellis may be joining Crewe.
WESTWARDGULL
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WESTWARDGULL »

Harrop needs to accept he made a shit appointment and get rid. Any other manager would of gone by now. It was easy to get rid of Nicho, even after what he did the previous 2 seasons because he was someone else's appointment, and probably because he truly cared about the club