Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

wivelgull wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 10:40 give the blokes a chance for goodness sake!
Wivel... I am sure we ALL want to give the new management team a chance... it's just the way all this has been handled by Harrop/GI that has caused frustration and anger throughout the whole TQ fanbase.

Miracles aren't going to happen overnight with a new management team, so not expecting to roll up and Holker St and play Barrow off the park on Saturday.... but, time is of the essence, we're cut adrift at the foot of the table and things have got to improve (they cannot get any worse, surely!).
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Berksdj
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Berksdj »

In Kuhl's position there was always a way of playing that the club wanted through the system, so he would have had to fit into that. But, the ethos at Reading is family club, do the right things, respect. He couldn't have lasted that long in the job, if he was an tosser or was a lapdog. I'll be interested to see if you take any of our youngsters on loan.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Berksdj wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 10:36 Hi to all. Reading FC fan here, but used to live in the west country and still take lots of interest in Exeter and Torquay. Pains me to see the way your club is being run and treated.
If I can offer a degree of comfort it's the appointment of Martin Kuhl. He was our u21/u23 manager for a number of years, and did a fantastic job. A top coach, who philosophy was technical football, with character too. Our academy has premier League status and he saw through the coaching through these times. I know it doesn't translate to success at first team level, or national league level, but he could provide good contacts, especially Reading, where the young players are well thought of nationwide. A couple have been on loan at Bath City recently and been successful.
Also, he is not a man to be f###ed with. Strong character, strong reputation, so hopefully won't take any nonsense from those above him.
Hope it works out for you, and the club gets back to where they should be, properly ran, owned and looked after.
Cheers
This is really reassuring to read and having done some brief research your words are mirrored by what I've seen.

He does look like a hard nut too which is what has been lacking
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

My initial gut feeling was one being underwhelmed - not who I was hoping for.

However, read the comments on Bath's forum and website plus the inclusion of a very well qualified Martin Kuhl and it just may be better than other possibilities. It may just be better than first thought.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Welcome to Gary & Martin

It's still early days

Let's get this team firing on all cyclinders and progressing up the table!
Randomfan
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Randomfan »

As a fan of the Shots when I heard this i genuinly thought "You lucky buggers"
Sometimes you need a bit of luck and appointing managers in itself is very difficult based on a number of perameters.
With both Gary and Martin you have a combination of characters who have a win and a siege mentality and who will fight for the club and its fans.
What you dont have is YES men. They know how to win and they will deliver a good season based on your current resources.
Good luck for the rest of the season The fans deserve a bit an upturn on the pitch and I feel the right men have been appointed to deliver it.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Can see us asking Reading if they have any players for us!

Not a bad shout as the last one was Angus Macdonald and he didnt do too badly!

I think this could be a better appointment than Ronnie Moore and certainly Graham Westley!

Sad news is that we part with Robbie Herreras hat
TorquayDNA
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by TorquayDNA »

Say it quietly, but it's rather encouraging news isn't it? The proof is in the pudding of course (and by that I mean how they perform long-term) but it will be nice if they can make some instant improvements. Surely can't be difficult!

Also it's got to be good that we have a connection with a well-run club like Reading. Lots of larger clubs like that like to have connections with smaller clubs to 'use' as development for young talent. Does anyone mind being a guinea pig for Championship/PL youth prospects?! Certainly a good bonus for us in the short-term at least...
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

For Gods sake, there's some people on here that have nothing better to do than just bloody whinge! Deal with it, he just might get us out of this mess. Stop being so bloody negative!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

For all the abuse I am happy that at least some thought seems to have been given to these appointments. Khul as I recall was always a hard man as a player and that is just what I think we need.

Someone to take Luke Young by the scruff of the neck for starters and not be indulged the way he was with Hargreaves and Nicholson.

Harrop has taken some almighty flak on here and the delay in appointing someone has been far too long. Maybe these people were not our first choices but maybe they were.

Clearly Owers/Khul have been our preferred option for at least some of the time that the position has been vacant so Harrop hasn't lied over this as far as I can see.

It seems that we were prepared to wait for them as well.

There is no guarantee they can get us out of this mess but equally that applies had we appointed a name manager.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Looking at photos of Martin Kuhl online, you wouldn't want to mess with him!!
TorquayDNA
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by TorquayDNA »

Can't see that Owers and Kuhl have worked together before (unless I'm missing something) so this must have taken a bit of time to pull together I guess? Seems quite a good catch all round (not that I'm excusing Harrop for the time it's taken and the lack of communication, but yes a considerable amount of thought and effort must have gone into this. Can't knock someone for trying)
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

One positive it's a all new 2 man team...

When the emotions settle and the dust settles ...

Back to business
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

These appointments have the potential to revitalise the playing fortunes of the club over time. Now I'm waiting to see which players depart and who comes in.
Hope they've been told they're joint lottery winners inheriting a play-off squad.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Gloomy Gull »

nickbrod wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 12:38 Hope they've been told they're joint lottery winners inheriting a play-off squad.
:rofl: Great comment !