Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

This criticism of Owers is rather unfair
If we were to compile a list of Torquay's worst managers he would be right up there
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 00:58 Personally I think that should it happen we need to start preparing for next season right now. Get a young hungry manager with the drive and skillset to propel a club forwards. A few fit that bill from lower down the pyramid who might be tempted to take on the challenge of reviving a former league club. Someone in the mould of Danny Cowley, someone with a few seasons of taking a nothing club to new heights.
There are plenty of them in the lower leagues who would welcome the chance to manage a club like Torquay. Merse allude to a number of them in his posts - one that has caught my eye for a number of seasons now is Gavin Rose of Dulwich Hamlet. Under his guidance, Hamlet won the Ryman South title in 2012/13, after reaching the divisional play-off final in each of the previous two seasons; and made it to the Premier Division, Isthmian League play-offs last season. Rose has an attractive style of play which since his appointment in 2009 has seen crowds rise from 250 to an average of 1,500. This season they sit 3rd in the table as it looks like Billericay Town's 'buy promotion' will win the day.

The question is would he be attracted to Torquay in the NL southern league. Rose's aspirations is to manage in the football league but Torquay just may be a big enough club to tempt him. It was Owers who said upon his appointment to Torquay “It didn’t take much thinking about really...This club has a history, it has been a Football League club and it is well-supported."

A pipe dream maybe- but there is nothing really left at Torquay Utd but to dream.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 00:58 Personally I think that should it happen we need to start preparing for next season right now. Get a young hungry manager with the drive and skillset to propel a club forwards. A few fit that bill from lower down the pyramid who might be tempted to take on the challenge of reviving a former league club. Someone in the mould of Danny Cowley, someone with a few seasons of taking a nothing club to new heights.
I was thinking along the same lines, you have to get someone in who knows the quality of football, quality of players & most of all regional football inside out, it may take time (a 5 yr plan comes to mind ! ) but once you get on a roll momentum will take you there e.g Nigel Clough @ Burton & as Soton Dave has mentioned the Cowley bros @ Lincoln spring to mind. It's the only way this club is going to get back to Football league status.
Do the due diligence & put a square peg in a square hole for once & give it time , slowly slowly catchee monkey, but if it ain't working then at least have the bollox to change it before it's too late .
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Bert wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 15:09 This criticism of Owers is rather unfair
If we were to compile a list of Torquay's worst managers he would be right up there
:-o

Covering both bases? :devil:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 17:24 :-o

Covering both bases? :devil:
Well i can't remember the last manager to take us into the SL so must be in the top three of worst managers at least ,I'm trying to think of the other two!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

:-o Not at southern league YET
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 17:35 :-o Not at southern league YET
True not over till fat lady sings or is it fat guy?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

MellowYellow wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 16:21 There are plenty of them in the lower leagues who would welcome the chance to manage a club like Torquay. Merse allude to a number of them in his posts - one that has caught my eye for a number of seasons now is Gavin Rose of Dulwich Hamlet. Under his guidance, Hamlet won the Ryman South title in 2012/13, after reaching the divisional play-off final in each of the previous two seasons; and made it to the Premier Division, Isthmian League play-offs last season. Rose has an attractive style of play which since his appointment in 2009 has seen crowds rise from 250 to an average of 1,500. This season they sit 3rd in the table as it looks like Billericay Town's 'buy promotion' will win the day.

The question is would he be attracted to Torquay in the NL southern league. Rose's aspirations is to manage in the football league but Torquay just may be a big enough club to tempt him. It was Owers who said upon his appointment to Torquay “It didn’t take much thinking about really...This club has a history, it has been a Football League club and it is well-supported."

A pipe dream maybe- but there is nothing really left at Torquay Utd but to dream.
I fully agree, M.Y. However, there is one aspect you have overlooked. Osborne & Harrop. No manager, however able, will succeed whilst the club is such a basket case off the field. Sad, but it's fact. :'(
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 17:35 :-o Not at southern league YET
No not yet! But to think by next season Argyle may well be 5 tiers higher than us. So no realistic chance of us meeting them in our brand new spanking stadium in the South West Combination Women's Football League or whatever the league is called we are heading too next season.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Won 6
Drawn 9
Lost 20
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

kevgull wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 18:05 Won 6
Drawn 9
Lost 20
And Owers record is

Won 6
Drawn 8
Lost 17

Harrop you have recruited well
Lucy
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

MellowYellow wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 16:21 The question is would he be attracted to Torquay in the NL southern league. Rose's aspirations is to manage in the football league but Torquay just may be a big enough club to tempt him. It was Owers who said upon his appointment to Torquay “It didn’t take much thinking about really...This club has a history, it has been a Football League club and it is well-supported."
As long as we remained full time I imagine that any upwardly mobile NLS or below manager would bite your hand off at the opportunity to manage Torquay United. The main stumbling block would be Osborne's intentions and how much autonomy Harrop would give him, I can imagine that may put some managers off. I'm struggling to find any in the NLS/NLN though that match the likes of the Cowleys there's no tiny clubs punching above their weight that I can see, with the exception of our soon to be 'rivals' Truro :}
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

SenorDingDong wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 20:56 As long as we remained full time I imagine that any upwardly mobile NLS or below manager would bite your hand off at the opportunity to manage Torquay United. The main stumbling block would be Osborne's intentions and how much autonomy Harrop would give him, I can imagine that may put some managers off. I'm struggling to find any in the NLS/NLN though that match the likes of the Cowleys there's no tiny clubs punching above their weight that I can see, with the exception of our soon to be 'rivals' Truro :}
Well all is ok, Osborne has stated if we go down to Conf south it will only be for one season in that league. However he didn't state what league
Lucy
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Don't rule out either Billericay or Hereford
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

merse btpir wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 21:26 Don't rule out either Billericay or Hereford
Are Hereford possibly Conference North bound?