Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Where were Bath in the league when he joined us?
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 20:16 Well he ticked their boxes somehow. I'm not saying he should stay in that situation, but can you honestly see the current hierarchy appointing a competent manager?
Definitely not, they've employed the people that have got the club where they want it to be.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

IanGull01 wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 20:41 Where were Bath in the league when he joined us?
Hovering just below the play-offs. They are a decent sized club for NLS though, one of the bigger.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

They were not far above the relegation zone when I checked. Definitely not close to a play-off spot.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 01:00 They were not far above the relegation zone when I checked. Definitely not close to a play-off spot.
Sorry Dave, but you must know I am a bit pedantic !

They (Bath City) recovered from a poor start (they lost their opening three games) and had managed to string a decent run together (six wins from their previous eight games) when Owers went - and were actually in a play off spot (7th) when he left to join us ...

https://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/sport/f ... ers-467341

I wonder if he ever regrets leaving .....
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I stand corrected, Chris. It was the first thing I looked at when I heard his name mentioned, obviously I must have known sooner than it was made public ;-)
Dave

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Bath is situated better than Torquay for players I watched Bath when Owers was manager and they were nothing special in pre-season but he knows the game.
It's down to what players Owers can get and things are looking up although you don't believe Williams can help us Dave.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I've not said that anywhere, Chris. I see him as similar to Romain who from what I've seen of him feeds well off a target man, not sure it'll be a prolific partnership, more a case of the two getting in each others way but let's hope I'm wrong.
Dave

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

The questions that Plainmoor 78 is asking need not have been asked if Nicholsons had not been in charge at the start of this season
and the survival team may have been a better base to build a side as I believe we would have had a goalscorer still at the club.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I don't know of anyone who didn't feel at the time that the squad was vastly improved over last seasons so considering Nico got the sack after 4 games we'll never know whether he could have got more from HIS squad than Owers has done. It's futile to keep blaming Nicholson, the club and Owers have had enough time to put things right and are still failing miserably. If we're lucky Romain and Williams will be a huge success and Owers can have the last laugh. Can't see it unfortunately.
Dave

Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

LEAVE NOW MAN! YOU'RE A **** JOKE!!!
WESTWARDGULL
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WESTWARDGULL »

So, in the unlikely event owers goes, who realistically could or would even want to come in, bearing in mind it takes an age for anyone to be appointed, and would they have long enough to make a difference.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Personally I think that should it happen we need to start preparing for next season right now. Get a young hungry manager with the drive and skillset to propel a club forwards. A few fit that bill from lower down the pyramid who might be tempted to take on the challenge of reviving a former league club. Someone in the mould of Danny Cowley, someone with a few seasons of taking a nothing club to new heights.
Dave

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

WESTWARDGULL wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 00:51 So, in the unlikely event owers goes, who realistically could or would even want to come in, bearing in mind it takes an age for anyone to be appointed, and would they have long enough to make a difference.
Well it's a good time to sack him now, as harrop won't be able to go KFC so will have more time on his hands to recruit someone
Lucy
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Owers will still be in charge next season.
He will lead an Academy XI to another glorious relegation.
He's part of the Masterplan.