Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Chew Magna to Bath is 15.2 miles. Hedges was the Chew Magna manager. Harrop is related to the great man. Enough said. We are in our worst football position in the history of the club for non footballing reasons.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

What is the length of Owers contract?
Lucy
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Goose9, tell me did you attend yesterday's game ? If so did you or did you not hear the Nicholson fan club singing his name.
This club is run by deluded loons, it's chants like that that'll convince the likes of Harrop to try & appease the fans.
Lunacy pure lunacy
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

lucy6lucy wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 16:24 What is the length of Owers contract?
As long as it takes him (and the others) to end the clubs existence i would guess.

He da man!
Goose9
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Goose9 »

Teigngull, yes I was stood in the popside and yes I heard the chants.

The large proportion of the fanbase will have great respect for Nicholson for what he has done for the club over the years, I know I do. However, not many of them would be happy to see him back as a manager. The chants were no doubt made in a tongue in cheek way to try and voice their dissatisfaction with the current management set up.

Anyway, since when do the current ownership listen to the fans?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

I wouldn't be surprised at anything that Machiavellian would do.
28flipflop
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Chris Todd

Post by 28flipflop »

this is my first post on this forum, but I have to say listening to his post match interviews it’s no surprise to hear the manager is often referred to as Gary D’Owers, is it any wonder the players seem lacking motivation ?
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Just wondered about the strength of feeling towards Owers with regards next season.

What IF he managed to perform the miracle and keep Torquay in the league. Would he deserve another crack at the whip and a full summer and would any of you support him?

Obviously we can only blame Nico for part of the problem but it has been the total managerial ineptness by Owers that has led to the club being rooted at the bottom of the league and nearly a full 30 points off the likes of Bromley, a tiny club averaging 600 home fans.

I'm not sure tbh. I think that if Owers turned things around against all the odds and kept the club up then perhaps on the face of it he would deserve to stay. Part of me would like to think i'm fair and would have to consider supporting this and give him a second chance but there is the suspicion that he has ties with CO and that is in the back of my mind regardless of anything football related.

IMO he should go for definite should the club be relegated and i dont think he could have any arguments about that unless he's deluded but if he keeps the club up then should he be supported and allowed to continue? Obviously it's not up to us but i just wondered how many fans would stop going if Owers DID keep his job and if the club survived the NL trapdoor.
Paignton boy

Post by Paignton boy »

I have to say that as a regular attendee at home games it did seem that together with Martin K The management duo did seem to be more professional than the previous regime. Not sure whether that is MK’s influence or GO himself. But recently it would seem that when things start going wrong during games MK leans against the fence more and GO doesn’t seem to know how to change things. So I am not sure! Let’s just hope we can stay up and then take stock?
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Four games seems to be the going rate.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Yorkieandy wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 18:10 Just wondered about the strength of feeling towards Owers with regards next season.

What IF he managed to perform the miracle and keep Torquay in the league. Would he deserve another crack at the whip and a full summer and would any of you support him?

Obviously we can only blame Nico for part of the problem but it has been the total managerial ineptness by Owers that has led to the club being rooted at the bottom of the league and nearly a full 30 points off the likes of Bromley, a tiny club averaging 600 home fans.

I'm not sure tbh. I think that if Owers turned things around against all the odds and kept the club up then perhaps on the face of it he would deserve to stay. Part of me would like to think i'm fair and would have to consider supporting this and give him a second chance but there is the suspicion that he has ties with CO and that is in the back of my mind regardless of anything football related.

IMO he should go for definite should the club be relegated and i dont think he could have any arguments about that unless he's deluded but if he keeps the club up then should he be supported and allowed to continue? Obviously it's not up to us but i just wondered how many fans would stop going if Owers DID keep his job and if the club survived the NL trapdoor.
I wouldn't want him back for another season even if he keeps us up. He's been nothing but courteous to the fans and made a good impression as a person but he just doesn't seem to have 'it' as a manager and his 'contacts' in the transfer market seem to be much weaker than originally talked talked. As Tony Boyce once said, you need 'contacts' as a Torquay United manager. This being said I don't think we need to have this conversation as we're not going to stay up.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

If he keeps us up, I would keep him as there would have been a marked turnaround on current fortunes in the right direction. Reassess after 10 matches of 2018/19. Seen nothing to suggest he will achieve that, though.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

If Gary owers was to keep us with great escape mk3 I don't think there will necessarily be the goodwill towards him from the supporters that there was for Kevin Nicholson.
As for will he stay. Well if he keeps us up then I think he will. If not I can see the club using the logic that he is a NLS type manager and keeping him on.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by greb46 »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 20:01 If Gary owers was to keep us with great escape mk3 I don't think there will necessarily be the goodwill towards him from the supporters that there was for Kevin Nicholson.
As for will he stay. Well if he keeps us up then I think he will. If not I can see the club using the logic that he is a NLS type manager and keeping him on.
If they keep him on after being relegated as they thought he was a NLS type manager then why did they think of employing him in the first place in a league obviously above his "talents".
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

greb46 wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 20:09 If they keep him on after being relegated as they thought he was a NLS type manager then why did they think of employing him in the first place in a league obviously above his "talents".
Well he ticked their boxes somehow. I'm not saying he should stay in that situation, but can you honestly see the current hierarchy appointing a competent manager?