Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

MellowYellow wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 19:36 So what do the Bath City fans think; a few forum comments are:

"I would have been fine if he had left to better himself, but a team only one division higher, in freefall with madness behind the scenes...."

"...am more annoyed given how he's been able to build his own side here this year, and then he leaves for the Torquay basket case."

"... I personally wouldn't go to Torquay under the current circumstances..."

"... it will be a struggle to prevent Torquay being relegated..."

We even seem to be the laughing stock of the Southern League.
That should be a lesson to all our own fans who think we are a big club. When we accept that we are a non-league club then maybe we can start to build something better.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

A reported £200,000 spent on removing and replacing a manager and his oppo.

Now we need a similar amount to finance the squad improvements please.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
WestLondonYellow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by WestLondonYellow »

MellowYellow wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 19:36 So what do the Bath City fans think; a few forum comments are:

"I would have been fine if he had left to better himself, but a team only one division higher, in freefall with madness behind the scenes...."

"...am more annoyed given how he's been able to build his own side here this year, and then he leaves for the Torquay basket case."

They're not wrong are they, but it hits home when a NLS clubs fans view us as a lesser club.

To think it wasn't that long ago we were in the play off final for entry to league 1.

There is time to turn this mess around though and it appears that these two may just be exactly what we need.
I imagine that even with Torquays soured reputation, Owers views this as a potentially bigger opportunity, his job is to turn around our fortunes on the pitch and he will strongly believe he has the ability to do that. And if he does, he'll be a hero here just for getting us to mid table in a first season.
If he's managed to build Bath up to challenge for promotion, he can do the same with us.
I cannot bring myself to trust GI, but I can't complain about this appointment or the alleged funds that were used to being this to fruition.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

kevgull wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 19:43 A reported £200,000 spent on removing and replacing a manager and his oppo.

Now we need a similar amount to finance the squad improvements please.
Money well spent in finding real quality and experience from a experienced pool of applicants numbering hundreds. Owers brings with him vast experience of the geographical benefits within the North Somerset region with contacts galore among the local clubs of Paulton Rovers, Bridgwater Town, Taunton Town etc. and even into the next county like Cinderford Town and Gloucester City and is also known for having some contacts as far away as Merthyr Town FC. So expect some quality part-time signings soon, in preparation for National League South football next season.
WestLondonYellow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

They're not wrong are they, but it hits home when a NLS clubs fans view us as a lesser club.

To think it wasn't that long ago we were in the play off final for entry to league 1.

There is time to turn this mess around though and it appears that these two may just be exactly what we need.
I imagine that even with Torquays soured reputation, Owers views this as a potentially bigger opportunity, his job is to turn around our fortunes on the pitch and he will strongly believe he has the ability to do that. And if he does, he'll be a hero here just for getting us to mid table in a first season.
If he's managed to build Bath up to challenge for promotion, he can do the same with us.
I cannot bring myself to trust GI, but I can't complain about this appointment or the alleged funds that were used to being this to fruition.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

WestLondonYellow wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 20:05 They're not wrong are they, but it hits home when a NLS clubs fans view us as a lesser club.

Promotion? Have you seen the league table. It's now a 36 game season, against the others having a 46. Feels like being in administration with a 10 point deduction. Yet the squad is incapable of performing, ok we did have goal scorers at Gateshead.
Lucy
WestLondonYellow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

lucy6lucy wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 20:35 Promotion? Have you seen the league table. It's now a 36 game season, against the others having a 46. Feels like being in administration with a 10 point deduction. Yet the squad is incapable of performing, ok we did have goal scorers at Gateshead.
Yeah I in no way was referring to a possibility of promotion this season, I thought that would have been interpreted without explanation. I mentioned mid table for this season as an achievement.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

MellowYellow wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 20:04 Money well spent in finding real quality and experience from a experienced pool of applicants numbering hundreds. Owers brings with him vast experience of the geographical benefits within the North Somerset region with contacts galore among the local clubs of Paulton Rovers, Bridgwater Town, Taunton Town etc. and even into the next county like Cinderford Town and Gloucester City and is also known for having some contacts as far away as Merthyr Town FC. So expect some quality part-time signings soon, in preparation for National League South football next season.
What a needlessly pessimistic, stupid and pointless post. I take it razor blades are banned in your house??? Some people aren't happy unless they are moaning are they...

Who did you expect to be our next manager?? We miles adrift at the bottom with a reputation for being a basket case of club. Give the guy a bloody chance. Clown.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

WestLondonYellow wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 20:38 Yeah I in no way was referring to a possibility of promotion this season, I thought that would have been interpreted without explanation. I mentioned mid table for this season as an achievement.

Midtable is a tad optimistic at this point. You can have the best manager in charge, but when the squad is unfit and again unfit
In the terms of playing for torquay, we have a problem. Coupled with our inbred operation manager employed to slowly destroy the club. I however admire your optimism.
Lucy
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

It might not be one of the "names" that was being bandied around recently but I'll take Owers and Kuhl and will give them a chance.

Both have contacts in the game, far more than Nicholson did. We already will have inroads to Bristol City and Reading. Two decent clubs at a very good level who might be able to send a player or two. They will also have access to scouts in the South and I'm sure will get the nod about players who aren't good enough for the higher level but might do a job at our level.

Both characters are described as uncompromising and will not take any shit from anybody. Our players need that after two years of coasting at our club.

We're deep in the shit but I will acknowledge that £200k is a serious outlay so GI have spent money to get us to this situation. It has taken too long but it's done now so all we can do is get behind the team and show our support for the new management team.

Onwards and slightly upwards hopefully.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
WestLondonYellow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

lucy6lucy wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 21:08

Midtable is a tad optimistic at this point. You can have the best manager in charge, but when the squad is unfit and again unfit
In the terms of playing for torquay, we have a problem. Coupled with our inbred operation manager employed to slowly destroy the club. I however admire your optimism.
My optimism stretches as far as avoiding being related this season.

Mid table would be an achievement. Avoiding relation by the skin of our teeth would be an achievement also, but lesser than mid table.

There are enough games left to climb out, 1 win while those around us lose, lol, I say around us, there is no one below so, those immediately above us, and the picture starts to improve immediately. It's a long season, I hope this guy can turn our fortunes around and I'll back him with that in mind.

Optimism is the god given right of every football fan everywhere.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

The more I think about this appointment the more I am warming to it. Owers and Kuhl over Nicholson
and Herrera any day of the week for me, they can hardly do any bloody worse !
I am expecting their setting up of the team , tactics, game and player management to be on a different level
to the previous pair , and I dont think they will take any crap from players not coming up to the mark
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

For christs sake, theres no pleasing many in our fan base is there. Many of the names that have been touted over the last few weeks have been met with criticism and negativity. On more than one occasion certain candidates names have been met with "I dont want him here".

I am sure the recruitment hasnt gone to plan and no doubt these guys werent our first choice but its doubtful the marquee managers would have touched us with a bargepole. When time dragged on some fans were saying they were prepared to take anybody now and many against their misgivings would have accepted Graham Westley with open arms. All of a sudden now the deal is done you arent happy, yet a ball has not even been kicked under this new regime. They are going to need a good few games before any judgement has passed I'm afraid.

I recognised the names of our new dynamic duo as players but not as coaches but as I have read and learnt more about them then I must say the idea has really grown on me. They actually sound pretty much exactly what this club needs right now.

Owers and Kuhl are certainly a huge improvement qualification and experience wise than Nicholson and Hargreaves, they surely cant be worse. As some have said it sounds like we will have a fitter, better set up and tactically drilled team. It will be nice for a change to have a decent run of time with some proper football coaches. The more I think about it I am really feeling optimistic.

As long as certain people let these guys get on with their job and dont interfere and if GI give them the help they need then I am truly confident we will be just fine. I know those two things are a big "IF" though.

Lets get behind Martin and Graham and give them our support. I for one am feeling slightly encouraged and looking forward to it.

:scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

Graham who?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

chunkygull wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 22:14 For christs sake, theres no pleasing many in our fan base is there. Many of the names that have been touted over the last few weeks have been met with criticism and negativity. On more than one occasion certain candidates names have been met with "I dont want him here".

Lets get behind Martin and Graham and give them our support. I for one am feeling slightly encouraged and looking forward to it. :scarf:
Looking back through the threads, my feeling is that overall there is a quiet feeling of optimism with the appointment of Gary Owers and Martin Kruhl - much more positivity than criticism or negativity. Oh by the way, Chunky - it's Martin and GARY (or to be pedantic - Gary & Martin). :whistle: